The House On The End Of The Road | Teen Ink

The House On The End Of The Road

By HavenVinyard SILVER, Hemet, California
HavenVinyard SILVER, Hemet, California

As I approached the deserted house on the end of the road. I saw a little, laughing girl. This girl had clothes like tattered rags, ratted black greasy hair, and was swinging on a broken, rotting branch. Then I looked back at her and she had vanished yet I still head heard her cackling laugh. So being too curious I walked into the creaky house. Instead of hearing the strange laughter of a little girl this time I heard the repetitive music of a broken music box, and saw a doll in the corner holding a tea party for two. So instead of staying in there any longer I went up the broken staircase and heard the laughter once again. When I was halfway up the staircase I heard something different. This time instead of the strange noises of the house or the laughing of the girl it was singing. The singing with at a continuous beat of la la la la la la. When I heard it I had to know where it was coming from so instead of running out of the house I followed it. I followed the mysterious tune into the master bedroom. There she was. The girl I had been following the whole time. This time you could see her staring into the large shattered window the distance of nothingness except for the rotting trees and the leaves around them that have fallen. There was a cold wind that went through the window and I felt the wind pierce into my soul. I closed my eyes for just a second and she had dispersed into thin air once again. Although this time where she was standing there was a white carnation. After exploring  the second floor looking for her I went into the attic where I found cobwebs and boxes everywhere. Along with this I found a teddy bear with stuffing coming out of where the left eye was supposed to be. While examining the attic I heard an ear piercing scream that wouldn't stop. I had to help whoever it was so I ran. I ran as quick as my feet would carry me. I ran towards it. Not knowing what I was about to face. I came upon where it was coming from. The storm shelter. It was locked. I had to break into it. So I broke into it thinking there would be my worst nightmare on the other side but instead it wa her. The small, fragile girl I had been chasing all along. With her was her doll, teddy bear, tea set, and music box with a bouquet of white carnations. That was the last time I saw her and her things. Because soon after there was a breeze that came and swept her and her things away. But in their place there was a white carnation.