Don't Be Afraid | Teen Ink

Don't Be Afraid

December 3, 2015
By AndreaL SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
AndreaL SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was a chilly day in California I had just woken up and about to go to Beymont High School. My best friend is my neighbor, and we go to school together and go home together. While I was on my way to school there was an accident and unfortunately someone had died.

"Oh my Gosh that is so sad" I said in a sad voice

"Yes it is, imagine how his family would be when they find out. It's pretty sad to even think about it." Said Hailey while still looking back at the accident.

"It makes me be afraid of dying" I said in a frightening voice.

"Yes me too, But we have to die once our time comes." Said Hailey

We got to school and saw my boyfriend waiting for me.

"Hey baby" I said while going up to him and hug him

"Hey babe" Johnny said while hugging me.

The bell was about to ring , my boyfriend Hailey and I have first class together.

"Here we go chemistry " Johnny said as he entered the class.

"Yay chemistry." I said

"I don't get why you're all happy about chemistry" Johnny said.

"Well, we get to mix chemicals and sometimes we get to see explosions." I said in an exciting voice.

"Good thing we have chemistry together..." Johnny said

"Hello class." Said Mr. Kay

"Hello Mr. Kay" Everyone said

"We will be doing a lab, I will be having you work with a partner. You may choose whom ever you want to work with. We will be mixing some chemicals, but just be careful with the light purple. We talked about not drinking liquids, the light purple is the most dangerous one, if you drink it you will die." Mr. Kay announced

Of course I was working with my boyfriend. Hailey decided to work with a guy she likes. When chemistry ended we went to the rest of our classes. The day was over and we went home. My boyfriend has practice, So Hailey and I went home walking.

"How was your day Hailey?" I asked

"It was pretty good. How about yours?" Asked Hailey

"It was a nice and chill day so it was good" I said.

We got home, and Hailey had gone inside. I went to eat and relax for a little before I went to do homework. That night Hailey was home alone since her parents were going to come home late from work. They work in a business company where my parents also work at. Hailey had candles lit up in her room since she likes the smell of them. She fell asleep and the candles were still lit on, her dog was there with her. He was playing around and by accident he dropped the candle. Her room and my room are across from each other so we could see inside each others room . I was in my room doing homework. I smelt something burning, that's when I looked at Hailey's room and saw it was catching on fire.

"Mom call the firefighters, Haileys room is catching on fire!" I yelled

My mom then rushed to the phone and dialed the number. Since we have a board connecting our windows we could walk through it. I walked through the board and woke her up, I took her to my room while her dog followed. The firefighters had just got there and put out the fire. Hailey called her parents to tell them what had happened. She stayed at my house until her parents came home.

"Thanks for saving me Alyson, if it weren't for you I would probably have ended up dead" Hailey said while hugging me.

"No problem, you're best friend and you know I care about you I don't know what I would do without my best friend here" I said.

Her parents came over to get her. They were going to stay with her aunt until they fix Haileys room. Next morning I walked to school and Hailey and my boyfriend where there waiting. We then went to the rest of the classes until it was time to go home. Johnny told me that he wouldn't be home for the weekend because he has to visit her aunt in Florida. When I was walking home I saw a house burning down, there was people inside there and the firefighters couldn't save them on time. There was a girl about the age of three, a boy who was just one year old and their mother. It really made me sad seen people die.

"I don't ever want to die." I said to myself.

It was a Saturday so I woke up a little late since we don't have school. Mom and dad had already left to work so i was home alone. After I finished breakfast I went for a walk around the neighborhood and there was another accident. Lots of accidents had happened this week. This time a girl had gotten ran over and had died. I decided to go back home because thinking about makes me not want to die. Day after day people died, it went like that for the rest of November. That made me think, and the more i thought about it, it made me not want to not die. That's when I got the idea. I decided to make different types of potions. I love chemistry, I'm really good at it and I know what type of liquids to use. I wanted to make a potion to live longer and a healing potion but my main focus right now would be the potion that makes you not die. I would call it the protection potion, since it will get me protected from death. I had to make a plan to get the potions, so I called Hailey over to help me. I told her what I wanted to make.

"That's crazy! Do you know if u can make it?? Hailey said.

Hailey my friend, this is the beauty about chemistry. You don't know until you try it. All I have to do is do some research and find the type of liquids we need" I said.

"Doesn't Mr. Kay have some liquids?" Hailey asked.

"Yes, but how can we get it? I don't think if we go up to him and ask him for liquids he will give it to us." I said

"No, but we can sneak into the school" Hailey said.

"That's not a bad idea, now we need a plan to get inside the school. We need to list the things we need to be careful with." I said

I grabbed a piece of paper and a pen.

"We need to be careful with the cameras" I said

"Leave that to me, I didn't get inside the technician class for nothing." Hailey said in an exciting voice

"There won't be anyone there around 5:00 pm tomorrow since we won't have school Monday, so we could go inside the school at that time." Hailey said.

"Good idea Hailey, like that we won't get in trouble easily." I said

Hailey called her parents to see if she could stay over. They said yes, so she spent the night at my house. We started watching movies and eating popcorn. The next morning we went to eat breakfast, my parents were about to go to work.

"Take care girls" My parents said while heading out the door.

In the afternoon we got the things ready for later on today.

"Ok so let's go over the thing's we have." We have flashlights, gloves, tools, and a box, that's all, right?" I said

"Yes, we have everything" Hailey said smiling.

5:00 pm came around, so we left to the school. When we got there Hailey put on gloves so she wouldn't leave any finger prints. She opened the door with some special tools, then she had taken the tools out to cut of the cameras.

"You go girl, you do know how to do this stuff." I said in an impressed voice.

"That's why I was so excited because it makes me feel like a spy." Hailey said.

We then got inside the school and went to the classroom. “That’s weird the door is unlocked, he never leaves it unlocked” I said

“He probably forgot, but that’s a good thing because we didn't went to the trouble to open it.” Hailey said.

I went to the lab and saw the liquids there.

"Help me take the liquids, take the ones that are red, blue, purple, green, and yellow." I said

"Ok". Hailey said while we were putting the liquids inside the box.

"Hailey, I hear footsteps." I said quietly while looking outside the door window.

"We need a place to hide" Hailey said.

I placed the box of liquids in a corner on the bottom of Mr. Kay's desk. Hailey hid under the table where she could get covered with the teacher's Lab coats and I hid in the closet. It was Mr. Kay's footsteps, he had gone back inside the school because he forgot his bag. He heard something moving, he was about to open the closet door.

"Mr. Kay, what are you doing here? I thought you were already leaving" Said Kevin the custodian.

"Yes I was Kevin, but I had forgotten my bag." said Mr. Kay

"Have a nice day Mr. Kay" Said Kevin.

"Thank You Kevin. Have a nice day too" Said Mr. Kay.

Kevin left to finish cleaning, and Hailey and I got out of the hiding places.

"Phew, That was a close one" I said.

"Yes it was, good thing he didn't open the closet door. We would've gotten in big trouble." Hailey said.

"Ok, we got everything we need, now lets go before someone comes in again. This time we have to be more careful, now that we know that the custodian is here." I said.

We looked both ways before we got out of the classroom, we were really quiet. We got out of the school and went home. We got home and went upstairs to my room, Hailey's mom had called her saying that she was going to go get her in a couple of minutes. She then left, and I started putting the liquids in order. I had red, yellow, blue, light purple and green liquids. I put them back in the box and under my bed so my mom wouldn't find out. Mom and dad had just gotten home from work, we ate diner and watched movies. We were all tired so we went to sleep.

The next morning, it was a nice warm day, my boyfriend had come over to visit me for a while. We went to the park, and went to eat some pizza. He couldn't stay long since tomorrow was time to go to school, we would see each other at school which was a good thing. Later that day, I decided to mix the chemicals to make my potion. I started by pouring the yellow liquid into the beaker, then the red liquid, the blue liquid, the green liquid and finally the purple liquid. It was finally made.

"I now would not be afraid of dying since i would be immortal" I said to myself.

This would take about 72 Hours for the potion to work. At night Hailey called me saying that her room was finally fixed from the fire. So tomorrow afternoon she will be back home. The next morning I went to school, I saw Hailey and my boyfriend there waiting for me under a tree.

"Hey baby" I said in a happy voice

"Hey Baby" Johnny said

Johnny went to get breakfast from the cafeteria while Hailey and I waited outside.

"I haven't told Johnny about the potion I made, and I don't want you to tell him either." I told Hailey.

"Don't worry about it Alyson, I won't tell him." Hailey said.

"Thank You." I said "So tell me, did you drink the potion already?" Hailey asked.

"Yes I did, but it takes 72 hours so the effect could work" I said

Johnny then approached us and wee then left to class until all the classes were over. I was on my way home when I heard my name being called.

"Alyson." Hailey called

"Yes Hailey." I said

Johnny saw us talking, he then walked toward us.

"I have something to tell you" Hailey said

"No stop it Hailey!" Johnny yelled

What is your problem?" I asked Johnny

"Just don't listen to her Alyson." Johnny said.

"Shut up Johnny!" Hailey yelled

"Okay, can someone tell me what's going on?" I asked

"Yes, I will tell you." Hailey said

"Ok go ahead." I said

"Since before, I have been liking your boyfriend. When I went to a party last summer I saw him there. I went up to him and started kissing. He liked me back so we decided to go out in secret. He didn't want to break up with you so we just kept our love in secret." Hailey said

"How could you do this to me, I called you my best friend, I saved you from that fire and this is how you treat me. And you, why would you cheat on me with my best friend?" I asked

"I..." Johnny said

"Don't even bother to say anything, I don't want to hear any of it." I said

"You do need to know something else.'' Hailey said

"Now what would it be, huh?" I said in a hurtful voice.

"Remember the potion you were making?" Hailey asked.

"Yes, What about it?" I asked.

"What potion are you talking about?" Johnny asked

"Nothing, stay out of this." I said.

"Well remember what Mr. Kay said about the light purple liquid. It was real dangerous and it could kill you?" Hailey asked

"Yeah, So what?" I asked

"Well I decided to switch the name of the bottle and put the light purple instead of the dark purple. Now I will keep your boyfriend and you will finally be out of our way." Hailey said

"How could you do this to me, take my boyfriend away from me and killed me. You're a sick person." I said

I left home all sad and heart broken. What Hailey didn't know was that I didn't drink the potion. I had realized that we have to die at some point. I was thinking about to throw away the potion, but instead I thought of something better. Hailey was taking a shower and she always drinks water after the shower. She always leaves a cup of water in her room. I sneaked into Hailey's room and poured the liquid into her cup. Hailey got out of the shower and drank the "water".

"It tastes a little funny." Hailey said to herself after she drank all of it.

Three days later, before the 72 hours were up Hailey started feeling sick. I walked to her room.

"Wouldn't you be dead already?" Hailey asked wondering.

"Yes I would've been dead. But I lied to you about drinking the potion." I said

"Get out of my room." Hailey said.

I barely understand what she's saying.

"No, I just came to see you suffer for the last few minutes you have." I said

"What do you mea... You put the drink on me, didn't you?" Hailey asked

"Yeah, you wanted to see mea dead, you took something I loved the most, now you and I won't have him. Now Bye Bye Hailey." I said I walked out of her room.

Few hours later her parents and Johnny found her dead ,they were devastated. Johnny then was traumatized for what he had seen. He was sent to a specialist and didn’t went to school for the rest of the year. I continued my life normally, like nothing had happened. When the school year was over, mom and dad got a job in Oklahoma. We moved there and I started my life over again.