No Escape | Teen Ink

No Escape

By kathrynlundy BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
kathrynlundy BRONZE, Williamsport, Pennsylvania

The sky was navy blue, the mountain tops glistened with snow. There was a thick sheet of ice across the road. It was November 25, 8:00 pm. Elizabeth, Kathryn and Leslie were driving in 30 degree temperatures, in an attempt to get to Elizabeth’s lake house. When the car started to slide on the icy road.
   The moon got brighter, the sky got darker, getting more and more stars bright twinkling. The car spun around with the slightest movement. The road was empty and completely silent, then as they got closer to the guard rail, they spotted pure ice. The car slid completely sideways and then crashed into the rail, spun around and crashed into the mountain, ripped the door off completely and was stuck on the end of the icy guardrail. The car slowed then stopped. It was silent, 9:45.
   “It would’ve been two more hours driving before we would’ve gotten home” spoke Leslie.
   The night grew late, the sky was dark, the stars had lightened.
   “Maybe we should sleep in the car, I don’t have a good feeling about this.” Her thick, wavy brown hair blew in the slight wind.
   “I agree with Elizabeth” exclaimed Kathryn.
   The girls hopped in the back of the uncomfortable frigid black car on the side of the road, and slept. Leslie woke up to an uneasy feeling in her stomach, like she was being watched.
   “Kathryn, I don't feel good, I feel like someone is watching us.”
   Soon after she realized she was all alone. The car was empty. Despite her calls for her two missing friends, nobody answered. It was 3:30 AM.
Then, she saw a dark black shadow, darker than the rest of the sky. Without thinking, she followed it. It dodged trees and then finally stopped at a big abandoned brick house, ivy crawling up the side, as if it was trying to escape. The shadow went inside, and Leslie followed. The house was dark and cold, in it she saw a little yellow candle on the other side of the room.
   “Is anybody there?” she cried. Her bright, crystal blue eyes sparkled with fear, in the darkness of the room.
   As soon as the words came out of her mouth, the candle blew out. It was too far away for it to have been her. She was not alone. She ran to the door, but the cold black handle wouldn’t budge. There was no way of getting out.
   It’s just a dream. She thought, I’ll wake up and realize that this was all just a dream, a nightmare. This did not happen, in the morning I will forget all of this.
   She found a little black stool with the paint chipping off, and sat in the dark. Ignoring the feeling that someone, or something, was watching her.
   I’ll wait until morning and then go out and find Elizabeth and Kathryn, she thought.
   But morning never came. She was stuck in her so called nightmare, for she sat in the chair for what seemed to be forever, she was not tired. She was in a trance one that no matter how hard she tried she could not break herself out of, one that she could not wake up. Months passed as she awaited morning, she had not moved from the chair.
   Until one day she saw the same shadow she had months before, along with another person, and the same little yellow candle, at the end of the dark room. But this time it was different.
   The split second the candle flame, she noticed all the other people in the room.
   There, sitting in two little black stools, much like the one she was currently sitting in, was Elizabeth and Kathryn.
   Leslie could not talk, nor move. Her light eyes widened. There was no escape.