Truth Or Dare | Teen Ink

Truth Or Dare

October 22, 2015
By SimranKD. SILVER, Coral Springs, Florida
SimranKD. SILVER, Coral Springs, Florida
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"Bye mom!" I yell before going out my front door, the humid air and hot sun shining
down on me as I got into my car. On the way to school I got a text from my best friend, Rose, saying to meet her next to her locker. I was about to text her to ask why, but decide against it once the school comes into view. After parking my car and grabbing my things, I make my way to Rose's locker. When her locker is in sight, I see her along with my two other friends, Jason and Daniela.
"Hey Lennon!", Rose shouts once she catches sight of me. I quickly approach my
three friends, knowing there is not much time until the first bell rings. We all talk for a while about our weekends until the first bell rang and we say our goodbyes since none of us have classes with each other. Classes are going slower than most days, probably due to the fact that it is Monday and everyone would rather be at home sleeping or watching television than waking up early to get ready for eight hours of school. Finally lunch comes and I find Rose, Jason, and Daniela at our usual spot in the back corner of the cafeteria where not many people were.
"Let's play truth or dare! I'm getting bored talking about classes!", Jason suggests after
five minutes of conversing about how our classes are going. We all agree and end up playing for the rest of lunch. Jason and I were the only ones willing to do dares. Jason had stood up on a table and screamed at the top of his lungs while I had to let Jason dump me into a trash can.
"I dare you to spend a night at that house." Daniela says. She doesn’t  have to say which
house she was talking about for us to know. She dared me to spend a night at the creepy, old, abandoned house that nobody ever wants to move into, I thought. Only I was too shocked to say anything. Just the thought of that one house made the hairs on my neck stand up, shivers to go down my spine, and goosebumps to form on my already shaking arms. I was scared, terrified even. But I was too stubborn to admit it. I never backed out of a dare and spending a night in a house was not going to change anything. The three of them were watching me, eyes filled with anticipation.
"Alright, I'll do it." I say confidently, but my thoughts do not match my voice. My mind
is at too many places at once. My heart is beating so rapidly and I was almost certain anyone would be able to hear it. I honestly am not sure about anything, except for the fact that in a few days time, I will spend a night in the old, abandoned house.
9:30 p.m. Friday.
"You got everything packed?", Rose asks as she sat on the edge of my bed watching my
every move.
"Almost. Just a few more things and we can get going," I reply.
"You know you don't need to do this. None of us know what to expect to happen tonight
while you’re in there.”
    “Rose, you don’t have to worry about me. Besides, what’s the worst that can happen? I’m just sleeping there after all.” She kept quiet after that and sat there with a look on her face as if she was in deep thought; her mouth in a tight line and her eyebrows furrowed. “Come on, let’s go, I’ve got everything.” She replies silently with a nod and follows me all the way outside to where Daniela is waiting with Jason in his car.
    “Took you long enough,” Jason says under his breath once Rose and I get into the car. Rose and I simply ignore his comment and start talking.
“Are you sure you want to go through with this? I mean, nobody spent a night in that house and came out alive,” Rose whispers to me as the house comes into view. I simply nod as a response, focusing more on the house ahead than the words coming out of her mouth. The front yard has nothing but dry dirt, the whole house looks old and needs a paint job. I can’t see through the cracked, broken glass of the windows due to the fact that there are large planks of wood blocking anyone’s view. The hint of the bricks that were once on the roof are almost non-existing, and to sum it all up, there is a black crow on top of the house, creepily watching the car drive up the driveway. This looks like one of those houses you see in horror movies, I think to myself.
    12 a.m. Saturday.
    It’s been two hours since my friends dropped me off. I set up my bed on the floor. I have to use the light on my phone to see (this house has no electricity and the moonlight couldn’t shine through the windows due to the wood planks covering them) which wouldn’t work for long considering the fact that I can’t charge it. I now lay in my bed, listening to the occasional sound of footsteps, inching closer to me every time the sound returns. My heart starts to race and so many thoughts race in my mind at once, but I would somehow convince myself that my mind is playing tricks on me and I am just being paranoid.
    A few times during these two hours, I fell under consciousness. It never lasts long because I feel ice cold hands on my ankles and the feeling of being dragged. I wake up a few feet away from my sheets. Now here I am, using my phone as a light resource to see as I explore this large, creepy house. When I’m done exploring the house and find nothing interesting I attempt to fall asleep, and eventually drift away.
    3:00 a.m. Saturday.
    I wake up to the feeling of hot hands gripping my neck making it difficult to breath. I struggle against the person’s grip and become light headed. I then feel the hands let go of my neck and gasp for air. Once I catch my breath, I run to the door and try to open it and come to the realization that it’s locked. I stop once I hear the footsteps behind me, coming closer and closer until they stop a few feet away from me. I finally turn around to come face to face with nothing. When I’m about to reach for my phone to call for help, it flies across the room and shatters against the wall. Before I can run to the door to try and escape, I feel the cold legs grab my ankles, making me fall to the floor.
    The hands drag me in front of a door and it swings open. I then realize that I am no longer being dragged, but before I can get up, I feel the cold hands back on my ankles. They start to drag me into the room when the door slams automatically behind me. I am dragged down a flight of stairs when there is a stop. I don’t have to strength to stand up; I am too shocked at what had just occurred and am too busy hoping this is all a dream.
    The sound of footsteps are heard again and they interrupt me from my thoughts, coming to a stop on the other side of the room. All of a sudden, a single lightbulb in the centre of the room is lit, and before I can take a look at my surroundings I see a pale, skinny girl with a bloody mouth and a devilish grin. Her eyes are white as if her eyes roll to the back of her head. She is wearing a white, bloody dress that’s collar reaches up to it’s neck. Before I can process what is happening, the girl looks straight at me, and that is when I notice it. The bloody knife she is gripping tightly in her hand before she says,”This is your time.”
    One week later.
“Police investigators come to the conclusion that Lennon was indeed mental. She committed suicide after her mind played tricks on her that she was being haunted in that house and could not take it anymore. The murder weapon had her fingerprints on it and there was enough proof on the murder scene to come to the conclusion that Lennon Hale had committed suicide.” The news has been playing the same story about Lennon Hale for a whole week once she was found dead.
Our family went to her funeral yesterday. I didn’t really know her, but I did talk to her when our parents had dinner together, or when I passed her at school, or even when I saw her at the gas station. I think I can speak for everyone when I say I was shocked. She never showed signs of depression or any hint of wanting to commit suicide. She was so nice and friendly, she  brought out the best in everyone, so everyone knew, despite what the news said, that there was more to the story.
Me and my friends are now sitting at our table in the cafeteria, talking about nothing interesting until David suggests a game of truth or dare. When my turn comes is the only time I’m actually interested.
“Truth or Dare?” David asks.
“Dare”
“I dare you to spend a night in that house.”