The Demon In My Walls | Teen Ink

The Demon In My Walls

By therootcause BRONZE, Edwardsville, Illinois
therootcause BRONZE, Edwardsville, Illinois

"Maybe there are no good people. Maybe there are only good decisions."

The back wall in my closet is a demon.

I first noticed this creature a couple years ago. I never used my closet; I kept most of my clothes in a suitcase bag. But my friend, Virginia, was staying over, so I let her store her items in the closet. When she went to get her pajamas one night, I saw someone smiling at me from deep within the closet. 

Naturally, I maintained my composure. I very quietly told Virginia that she would have to find somewhere else to stay; my home was no longer an option. Because I had never seen this creature before, it was reasonable to assume that Virginia had somehow brought it with her, or drawn it out of hiding. At my insisting, she departed that night, and I went to sleep without cause for concern. The demon was her problem, not mine.

When I awoke, I briefly checked the closet to ensure complete safety. Of course, as I assumed, I saw nothing. Satisfied, I deleted the missed calls from Virginia and continued about my normal schedule. 

Three months later, a woman by the name of Alice took residence in my room. She brought with her some clothes, and I allowed her the use of my closet without second thought. Within two days, however, I noticed that her clothes had begun to have a faint odor of cheese. Ominously, I checked the closet. And as I feared, I saw two violet eyes pursuing me. Angrily, I kicked Alice out. I very clearly saw that this was a trick planned out by Virginia; Alice was but a tool.

From there on out, I kept a field journal of the demon's appearances. I rarely left my home, and thus the records I kept were very accurate. I began to sleep inside the closet, leaving only to use the restroom. For convience, I chopped off my hair, leaving it jagged and short.

On the occassion that my sister visited, I would refuse to leave the closet. It felt as though I simply had to stay there. There was this broad hand holding me back, and when she implored me to exit, I'd hear a faint growling from within the walls. 

Well, at last I hadn't seen the demon for about a year, and I made the decision to relocate to my bedroom. I gathered my items and prepared to leave before I realized that my chocolates were missing. Fearfully, I searched, without avail. I came to the conclusion that the demon had stolen them, and for weeks I sat there and implored her to return them to me. Finally, I found a box of chocolates next to my head when I woke, and exited the closet happily.

I have not seen the demon since. I noticed that her arrivals often conincided with the arrivals of various women to my home. Thus I conceded that I should live in solitude, and have encountered no difficulty. I have also noticed it is much easier to move around my home; the demon appears to have gifted me with special authority or such. I am now free to cut through walls when I choose, which greatly lessens the time I have to take to walk somewhere.

In short, I have a demon living in my walls, but she is extremely friendly and much to my liking. I would like to make a formal request to keep her.  

This is just a quick little piece I wrote up. It's intended to be about distorted reality and the subtleties of insanity. The main character is anonymous, but I generally presumed her to be a woman. 

courtneyp BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
Whenever I read your story, I immediately connected to the main character. Though my demon isn’t an actual being I can see, I can relate to you when you say you “first notice this creature a couple years ago”. I too noticed my demon a couple years ago, six years ago to be exact. Though our demons may be different types of demons, I can relate because I too welcome my demon with open arms. Instead of fighting that demon, I want to become its friend, just like the main character.