'Tis the season | Teen Ink

'Tis the season

October 15, 2015
By F.Cellucci BRONZE, Sherborn, Massachusetts
F.Cellucci BRONZE, Sherborn, Massachusetts
1 article 2 photos 0 comments

I picked up the doll on a whim. My three year old daughter Sarah and I have just moved into a small apartment, in a small town. It was quite, typical New England town with rolling hills and trees turning beautiful warm hues, great inspiration to help me with ideas for my new book. People were friendly and kind, especially my neighbors. The day I moved in next door they immediately offered to help with unpacking my stuff. The young man and women (John and Cathy)  made multiple trips to my trailer and back. As I unpacked, Sarah was distracted by the couple’s dog, a boxer named Agre. We had coffee many times, and soon the stay at home woman babysat Sarah while I was at my day job down in the diner. Well she use to babysit.
Sarah and I don’t have much, and I feel like I don’t live up to the title of a mother. I can’t get Sarah new clothes, I can’t take Sarah on fun trips, I can’t get Sarah new toys every other day like I want to. But on the weekend I had off I was driving through the fallen golden leaves to downtown and  I saw a sign for a garage sale 9-11 am on the side of the road. I decided maybe this was my chance to get some things for cheap.
I pulled onto the side of the road across the street of the one story home. There were only a few people scattered around the things on sale. I parked my car and muttered to myself “Wow this thing is packed.”. Even though there were so few people people here there were copious amounts of stuff. I wandered my way to drive way, and weaved my way through the sale. Nothing caught my eye until I saw it. A little plastic arm dangling out of the box under the table. I pulled the box out and moved the set of floral napkins. I found a little doll, a perfect toy for a little girl. It had on a baby pink dress with a matching bonnet to cover its red hair. It had black shoes that cover its plastic feet. As I held it upright it eyelids slid open to reveal bright baby blues. It was perfect. I found the owner of the doll who quickly offered me a cheap deal, and asked me if I had a pet. I said no and asked why, he said their dog who was inside the house stopped her last time. Confused, I didn’t press forward, and turned away after I gave him the money. The cold wind seemed to push me back into my car. I put the new doll next to me in the passenger seat and drove back home.
When I got back to my apartment I quickly thanked Cathy for watching my daughter. As the front door shut I pulled the doll out of my bag and called Sarah over. Her light brown hair bounced as she trotted over kitchen from the living room. Her amber eyes brightened as she saw the doll in my hand, and quickly closed the space between me and her.
She looked up and said “Is that for me!”
“Of course it is sweetheart.” As I responded the pride in my heart grew as big as her smile.
“Thanks Mama!” Sarah quickly grabbed the doll I was holding at her level, for I kneeled down in front of her.
“Do you know what you're going to name her yet?” I asked
Upon contemplating for a full 45 seconds she smiled and said
“How about Morgan?” She asked.
“That’s an awesome name sweetie pie.”
The next day I went back to work, and my neighbor kindly watched Sarah again. She asked if I could watch Agre, their dog, next weekend and I happily agreed. On that thursday I got a call from my neighbor saying I needed to come home immediately. I rushed home to find Sarah and Cathy staring at Sarah’s closed bedroom door.
“What is going on?” As I asked you could hear the worry in my voice.
“It came alive.” Cathy said in a whisper
“What came alive?” I asked, still worried.
“The doll.” Cathy said, almost inaudible. Sarah hurried over to me and hugged my legs. I knelt down so I could wrap her up in my arms, for she looked on the brink of tears. 
“What is going on?” I repeated in a stern voice. Sarah looked up at me and said
“Me and Mrs.Cathy were just playing with Morgan mama, we didn’t know she was mad   at us.”
“What do you mean she mad at you?” I looked down at her worriedly.
“She just got up on her own and started flinging legos at us, I screamed, picked up Sarah ran out, shut the door, and called you ten minutes ago.” Cathy responded shakily. I
looked back at the closed door and stood up. I cautiously wandered to the door and opened it to peak in. I saw Morgan lying on the ground peacefully, eyes shut, and surrounded by legos. I opened the door all the way and walked up to the doll. As I picked her upright her eyes slid open, just how it was made to do. But something seemed off. Her eyes had an uncanny look to them, like she knew something I didn’t. I quickly placed her into the drawer next to Sarah’s bed, turned around, and closed the door behind me when I walked out. I looked back at Cathy and Sarah huddled together in fear. Cathy, coming to her senses, told me that she would no longer like to babysit Sarah. I nodded, knowing that I could not convince her to stay, but I told her that I would still watch her dog for the weekend. She looked at me, glanced at the door, then back at me. Realizing that she couldn’t get anyone on such short notice to watch Agre she gave me a quick nod. She also asked me to promise to keep her dog away from the doll and I said of course. After that Cathy practically ran out of the apartment, and slammed the door on the way out. I told Sarah it was time for bed, and knowing the question she was bond to ask I added that she could sleep with me. Sarah let out the breath of she seemed to be holding in, and we did our nightly routine together. And as we climbed into bed that night I knew I wasn’t about to get a full night’s rest.
The next morning I had to bring Sarah to work because I had no one to watch her while I was gone. We came back home with Agre and all her supplies Cathy and John left for us. As the dog entered the apartment she seemed like she was ready to attack. Later in the night Sarah asked me to get her some of her colored pencils in her room. As I opened the door Morgan was standing up on the dresser and flug a pair of scissors at me. I was able to shield myself against the door while Agre ran into the room. The dolls eyes seemed to widen in fear as Agre was able to bite onto her leg and pull her down to the ground. Agre started to tear Mogan apart, ripping off all her limbs, and tore apart her belly. Then Agre took off Morgan’s head as she was closing her eyes. It was over in the matter of seconds. Agre seemed to look pleased with herself as she circled around the remains of the dog, and walked out of the room. After coming out of my stunned trance I got a plastic bag scrupulously placed Morgan’s remains into it. From there I went straight outside, and placed the bag into trash can out on the sidewalk.
“‘Tis the season.” I said to myself, for Halloween was just a few days away. And at that I turned around to go back inside, having a perfect idea for my next book.