Trapped | Teen Ink

Trapped

October 2, 2015
By keatikg9759 BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
keatikg9759 BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Trapped
In math today we had a test, and if you didn't  finish, you had to come in after school to finish. There were quite a few people who didn't finish, but my friends Darcy, Leroy, and myself all had sports practice, so our math teacher Mr. Hames, told us to come in after practice because he was going to be there late anyway. Darcy and I played volleyball, which ended at 5:30 pm; Leroy was in football and didn't get let out of practice until about 6:00 pm. Since we got out of practice at different times we came in at different times.
Darcy, Leroy, and I all had been taking Algebra I. Leroy was a sophomore and he took this class last year, but he didn't pass so he has to take it again this year. Darcy is a freshman and this is her first year taking this class. I am also a freshman, but I took Algebra I last year, in 8th grade, I didn't end up passing. Since we all had different levels of experience, the class was different for all of us. Leroy was usually confused for the first few minutes of the lecture, but then everything would just click. Darcy was usually a little confused, but she almost always figured it out. I wasn't usually confused but I will still get confused every now and again.
Taking the test was a little weird. As I looked around the room to see how Darcy and Leroy were doing I saw major confusion and frustration on Darcy's face and Leroy was just really focused. As tests usually are, the test was a little harder than the homework but not too bad. About halfway through the test Mr. Hames got a phone call and he had to leave right away. Right before he left he told us to just finish and put them on his desk when we were done.
I was the first one done but Darcy and Leroy were still working. Since I was Darcy's ride home I just waited outside the door until she finished. As I was waiting I saw many teachers leave and when the last one left she set the alarm.  About five minutes later Darcy came out.
"Hey! Are you ready?" Darcy asked as she walked out of the class room.
"Yep! How was it?" I said as I grabbed my stuff and we started to walk away
As we walked to the door Leroy came up behind us and said, "Hello there!" We both gasped and turned around. When we saw him we burst out in laughter.
When we got done laughing I texted my mom saying, "Hey! We are done. Meet you out front."
She responded with "Okay! I'm on my way <3"
Leaving would be a little harder than we originally thought. As we walked to the front door all of the lights except for the emergency lights turned off.
"What just happened?" Darcy was really confused.
"The janitors are probably just leaving," Leroy said as he tried to open the door. "It won't open."
"Really? Let me try." Darcy tried pushing the door, but it wouldn't budge.
"Maybe it's just blocked somehow. Let's go out the back." I was being positive because I didn't know the severity of the situation. When we got to the back door it wouldn't budge either.
"Maybe it's just the doors that have the electronic lock connected to them." Darcy was the one being positive now. We walked into the gym to try opening the doors in there, but none of them wanted to cooperate.
*Ding*
'I'm here. Where are you?'
I called my mom because I figured it was easier than texting her to explain the situation. 
"Hello?"
"Mom, we are locked in the school."
"What do you mean?"
"I mean exactly what I said. We are locked in the school. None of the doors will open."
"Stop playing around. Just come out front."
" I'll walk to the front doors but that's as far as I can go. The doors are locked."
"Wait. You're serious?"
"Extremely."
"Let me try opening them from the outside."
"Okay." After I said this I heard my mom's door close. Then after a couple seconds I heard her try and open the front door.
"The front is locked. What door should I try now?"
"Just walk around the school and pull any door you see."
"Okay. This better not be some kind of joke."
"It is not. I promise. All the teachers left. The lights are off so we are assuming the janitors left too."
"All of the doors out front are locked. I'm walking around the side now. Are you guys all okay?"
"Yeah. We are all fine. We just want out."
"I'm trying my hardest."
"I know." I heard the door that we had been standing by be pulled, but it wouldn't open. "We are standing right by the door you just tried to open."
"Really? I'm trying to get you out!"
"I know I just thought you should know."
"I'm going to try and open the other doors. I'll call you back if I get a door open."
"Meet us at the door at the bottom of the stairs out back. I want to see you."
"Okay. I'm on my way down the stairs."
"I see you."
As my mom dropped her phone she started to run to the door and scream words that I couldn't hear because the doors were pretty sound proof. I heard three gunshots come from behind us and all of a sudden everything went black. The last thing I remember seeing is the tears balling up in my mom's eyes.