The Small Town Part 1 | Teen Ink

The Small Town Part 1

October 5, 2015
By Gabbylove BRONZE, Topeka, Kansas
Gabbylove BRONZE, Topeka, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“One small town, one small shop, one small school. Everything is so small here you can’t do anything without someone finding out” said and walked Rebecca Davis every day to school. She was a tallish girl with long red hair that she dyes every two months, with big brown eyes that would make you think she never got in trouble before. She is skinny to the bone and didn’t know when to shut her mouth. She lives with her mom in a big creepy house on the corner of HIgh Street and 11th street. It looks like something taken out of a horror film.

When she got to school she thought “ Say hi to everyone like you did the day before because you went to school with every single one them all 10 years of school,” she nodded her head and went into her first class. “Sit with the same old people you have done for the last 5 years” she said walking and smiling at her friends. The teacher walked into the class and taught the class about grammar again. “Homeworks the same another essay due tomorrow “ she said to her friends in a little annoyed voice.

“Walk out the class go up to the stair things then turn right avoid the school nerd who has a crush on you since the 8th grade, then go to the class at the end of the hall to the right” she thought as she walked into the room. “This class the sleeping class” she thought. The teacher walked in and said “Class we have a new student his name is Michael Brown.” Rebecca looked up with this small smile. “New they have never used that word unless it’s for homework. Can it be a real new student?” Rebecca thought with a puzzled look on her face.

“I would like one of you to show him around today” teacher said. “I will Mrs. Volk” said Thomas Beck. “Oh yes the football star would do anything to get attention” thought Rebecca shaking her head. “Michael please come in here” said Mrs. Volk. Michael was a tall blonde, with crystal blue eyes, with some muscles. “Go find a seat Michael” said Mrs. Volk. “He walks up my row and sat in the seat right in front of me” she thought with a surprise look on her face. Rebecca tapped him on the shoulder “hi I’m Rebecca, where you from?” she asked him very nicely. He looked at her smiled and turned around. The teacher taught her lesson then the class was over.

“Walk down to the basement take two rights then go to the creepiest door in the whole school then walk in” she thought as she walked on to her next class. She walks in sits by her friends. “D*** this school, this town it's too small you can’t do anything without someone finding out” she said very angrily.

“Well we grow up in this town if we went anywhere else we wouldn’t know where to go.” said Amanda who was a short blonde. 

“If I never get out of this town it would be the death of me” said Manny, her mexican friend.

“Hey, the group in the back, can we start class?” asked Mr.Smith with an angry look on his face.

They hadn’t noticed that the bell had rang and everyone was in class. “Sorry Mr.Smith” said Manny, Amanda, and Rebecca. Rebecca looked down at her book. Amanda tapped her on the shoulder and Rebecca looked up. To her surprise Michael was in that class too. Rebecca was very surprised he was in two of her classes. Michael walked to the back of sat down in front of Amanda and next to Rebecca. Rebecca tried to ignore him. But he tapped her on the shoulder.

“Hey sorry for how i was acting like earlier” he said with a sad look on his face.

“It’s okay I guess it was mean though” she said as she looked down back at her book.

“Okay, so what are you reading?” he asked with a weird look on his face.

“Rebecca! Michael! stop talking” yelled Mr.Smith as he turned back to the board.

“He is a jerk” whispered Michael to Rebecca.

Rebecca laughed quietly in her seat. They sat all class laughing and making fun of Mr.Smith. The bell rang.

“So what is your next class?” asked MIchael every shyly.

“Oh I have Earth Science” Rebecca said with a surprised look on her face.

“Oh where is that class at?” asked Michael pulling out his schedule.

“Here let me see your schedule” she said as she went to grab his schedule.

“I think I have a science class also” he said nervously.

“You have the same class as me “ she said calmly. “Yes, he is in all my classes, I can see what it’s like outside this crummy town” she thought as they walked down the hallway. They walked talked in every single one of their classes. Then the end of the day came and it was time for Rebecca to ask the questions she has been dying to ask him all day.

“Okay so how do you get home Michael?” she asked very shyly.

“You can call me Mike if you want my friends use to call me that back where I came from” he said as he tried not to look her in the eyes.

“Okay Mike how you getting home?” she asked again.

“I have to walk down to Wand Road” he said hoping  she could walk with him.

“ I live a block away from there can I walk with you?” she asked every calmly.

“Yeah come with me” he said fast and eagerly.

So they started to walk home and talked the whole time about where Michael was from and what he use to do there. That night Rebecca called Amanda and told her everything.

“So what did you find out?” ask Amanda

“Amanda he is from a town called .... . His favorite thing to do there was hangout at the drive-in and skating rink.” she said with a very happy tone in her voice.

“You really like this guy do you?” asked Amanda.

“No, I just like that he doesn’t know anything about me or this town and that is what I love the most” said Rebecca.

“Yes it’s so weird no one moves here. Why was it that his family did all of a sudden?” Amanda ask very weirded questioning voice.

“Ya of course it is weird that they moved here” she said.

“Well I have to go to bed so I’ll talk to you tomorrow Rebecca” said Amanda as her mom was yelling at her in the background.

“Okay night see you tomorrow.”said Rebecca.

The next morning Rebecca was walking to school she saw Michael talking to a strange looking guy. The guy was about 30 to 35 years old with a black hat, muddy work boots, jeans and a grey shirt. She wondered  from that moment who that guy was through all her classes even during her test in film class. In second hour she saw Michael. Rebecca walked as quickly as she could to her seat and put her face in her book acting as if there was something missing that she didn’t read. Michael walked over with a puzzled look on his face as he looked at Rebecca.

“Hey is everything okay with you today?” ask MIchael as he took his seat next to her.

“Yeah just fine, why do you asked?” as she looked back down at her book as quickly as she can.

“Well you're acting kinda weird that’s all” he said as he pulled books out his bag.

“Oh I’m fine just thinking and reading” she said pointing at her book with a tiny smile on her face.

“Oh what are you reading?” he asked quickly and with a smile.

“I am reading Sherlock Holmes. I have read almost every single one of them” she said.

“I love Sherlock Holmes. He is the best detective of all time.” he said very dramatically.

“You do?” she asked with a beam in her eyes.

“Yeah why not he is amazing and his watch for detail in each case” he said with a little hip in his voice.

“Wow I thought I was the only one who realized that he does that” she said shockingly.

The bell rang and MIchael and Rebecca walked to their next class together. They sat through the next class talking about all the detectives they knew and loved. They named that each detective and their cases.

“ I have to say my favorite case is the zodiac case” said Michael.

“I have alwaysed loved that case” said Rebecca.

“Ya, it’s the one guy the police could never find” said Michael with a smile.

Why would someone bring up that case? Is he trying to tell me something? thought Rebecca.

“So is everything okay with you today you seem kinda distant?” Michael asked with a puzzled face.

“Oh me?” she said shaking her head and looking at him. “I’m fine I just got a lot on my mind that’s all.” she said.

“Oh what you thinking about then.” Michael asked.

“It’s just something I saw on t.v. this morning that’s all.” said Rebecca trying not to tell him what she saw.

“Okay” said Michael.

The bell rang and everyone was off to lunch. Everyone but Michael. Rebecca followed Michael to the back of the school building. She saw Michael talk to that man from earlier this morning. They looked like they were trading something back and forth. Michael was trying to give him what he got this morning but the guy wouldn’t take it back. Rebecca tried to see what they were talking about but when she tried to get closer the guy saw her.

“Hey, you what are looking at?” the old man asked as he started to walk towards her.

Rebecca ran back to the school and hid in the girls bathroom and through the door she heard Michael and the old man talking.

“We have to find her and ask her what she saw.” said the old man in a very angry voice.

“No, she might not have saw anything at all.” said MIchael in a concerned voice as if he knew it was Rebecca who saw everything.

“We have to know for sure she that she won't say anything,” said the old man pointing a finger in Michael’s face, “find her or everything about you will be spilled out and you know what I mean,”  the old man said as he walked away.

Rebecca saw the shadows walk away. She opened the door just a little just to see if they walked away. Rebecca saw them turn a corner so she went the opposite way. As she walked down the hallway she wasn’t playing attention and bumped into the principal Mr.Thomas.

“I’m sorry Mr.Thomas I wasn’t looking where I was going.” Rebecca said with a scared voice.

“It’s fine Rebecca. Is there anything on your mind you want to talk about?” Mr.Thomas asked.

“No sir, have a nice day.” she said shaking her head and walking fast to her next class.

As she walked into the class she saw Michael coming down the hall so she rushed to her seat and dug in her bag for her headphones. She put them in her ears turned the music all the way up and started to read her book again. 


The author's comments:

I am just seeing what people think please be nice.