The Tribe | Teen Ink

The Tribe

By Jesse_Baker BRONZE, Strasburg, Virginia
Jesse_Baker BRONZE, Strasburg, Virginia

Men are not prisoners of fate, but prisoners of there own human minds.

I remember it being hot that morning. I roll over the oversized king bed that I was fortunate enough not to share with my 350 pound uncle. But where were they? I look at the alarm clock that lays silent and motionless on the nightstand. 10:00 o’clock it reads, they should have been here by now, I think as I walk towards the window sill, I pull the blinds up hoping to see the rental car sitting still in the crowded parking lot. But nothing, I look off towards Miami Beach praying to a God I hope still listens. I've been sitting in this quiet hotel room for the past three days. Then as I begin to pray the door practically falls off its hinges.

Uncle Lucky is not a force you wanna mess with. Standing at roughly 6”7 with 350 pounds holding him to the ground, even the best gypsies dare not to mess with him. As he charges into the room I begin to ask what happened and where's the others. “Ray, pack up your stuff! We must be going; we were compromised. The whole deal crashed we should have been more careful but as of now we gotta go.” “Go where?” “We are going to meet the Trinity on the other side of town, we don't know who it was but someone fessed up and told them where we would be meeting.” “But how, who would do this no one from our tribe would ever do such a thing maybe it has something to do with the Trinity.” The Trinity was a Tribe down on the border of North and South Carolina. They aren't the biggest Tribe on the east coast, but they aren't small. You see our tribes have been able to coexisted for the past 30 years, and here recently with the younger members of our tribe hitting adulthood our tribe has done nothing but flourish and prosper. Which I believe scares the Trinity.

I grab my bag as well as my father’s, while Uncle Lucky grabs his bag as well as his 9mm. I know I haven't said this yet but I'm pretty freaked out at this point. Hitting adulthood in my tribe means it's time to start in the family business. Family business meaning one thing and one thing only: protect the tribe. We have enemies everywhere. Almost every tribe besides the Trinity is an enemy. I hit my adulthood about a month ago which means it's about time I went on a job. But i didn’t want this. I didn't want this life. I wish there was a way out. But this first job with the Trinity is starting to look a lot like my last. After I grab our bags I rush through the door and descend down the stairs. I rush towards the parking lot where I see the rental van. I run towards the side door and swing it open. I see dad and automatically I get this reassuring feeling that everything's going to be okay. As I look towards the back of the van i see Uncle Mike and Jay as well. We pile in the van and we drive in silence.

We drive about thirty-five minutes north towards Miami Dade-County. Where we are going to meet the Trinity. Dad warns me that it’s not go to be safe to just stay in the car while he makes the deal. I agree. We pull up towards an abandoned parking lot. The street lights were flickering half of which we out. And at the other side of the parking lot stood five men all which stood at least 6 foot and had at least one hundred pounds on me. Dad goes to the back of our rental van and grabs two silver briefcases. I see the determination in his eyes, a trait i wish to inherit from him one day. Dad is the leader of the tribe ever since my grandfather was murdered a few years back, he stepped up and took the role of leader in our tribe. Dad motions closer and closer to the mysterious Trinity. With his three brothers behind him they approach the men. Dad handed the middleman the briefcase and he returned the favor with another. They shook hands and proceeded to go different ways.

As dad and my uncles get into the van everyone is silent. I dare not ask about what just happened because well i don't believe it. I refuse to believe that my father would ever do something like that. That my father would risk our tribes safety. Here lately the tribes been running low on supplies and we try to live as much off the land as possible. But I think to myself, how long has this been going on. Did my Grandfather know. But all I know is this; I won’t continue this I’ll find a way out. Even if that means being disowned by my father.

I wrote this article for an english paper. And I actually had a dream about this a couple of years ago. And that night I woke up and just started writing on a piece of paper what had happened. And I figured now would be a good time to share.