The Night Crawler | Teen Ink

The Night Crawler

August 30, 2015
By _EffortlesslyShnazzy_ PLATINUM, Ooltewah, Tennessee
_EffortlesslyShnazzy_ PLATINUM, Ooltewah, Tennessee
24 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"If I waited until I felt like writing, I'd never write at all."


The fog swirled around my feet as I creeped silently through the woods. Me and my friends were playing Evasion in the woods behind our tents, and I was with the team that was supposed to be hiding. As I walked further away from the tents, darkness consumed me and I decided that now was the time to find a hiding place. Looking around I spotted the perfect little enclosure to hid in. I tucked my body into the small space, folding my arms around my legs, making myself as small as I could. It seemed like forever I waited there under the brush, the cold seeping into my skin, my ears alert for sounds of footsteps. Several times I though someone was going to find me when I heard footsteps approaching my hiding place and hushed whispers, but they always left when they didn't find what they were looking for. So there I waited . . . and waited, my eyes drifting shut, twigs digging into my legs, the cold covering me like a blanket.
Then I heard it, the almost indistinguishable sound of a twig snapping under the weight of a shoe. I ducked my head lower, slowed down my breathing and clenched my eyes shut in hope that they would just go away. It seemed like a few minutes went by and when I didn't hear anything else. I opened my eyes, lifting up my head slowly from the patch of moss it had been resting against and peered through the underbrush, trying to catch a glance of the person who had caught my attention. I strained my ears listening for any sign of movement. In the distance I heard the horn signaling for the teams to come in, and I exhaled silently, slowly unfolding my limbs and stood up, my legs a little numb and tingly from staying still for so long. Now up I peered through the darkness, still trying to catch a glimpse of the person that I was sure was around. Shaking my head when I didn't catch sight of anyone I turned to head back, and that when I heard it again, another almost inaudible sound in the darkness, but closer. I swiftly turned, ready to call out the perp, when I felt something run along my throat, disabling my ability to speak.
My eyes widened and when I clutched my hand to my throat and pulled it back, I was surprised and horrified to see blood staining my skin. I tried to scream, but my words were garbled, blood gurgling in my throat. I stumbled, my vision waning as I lost my balance, crumpling to the ground. I looked up through dimming vision, my mouth opened in endless surprise, my body going numb, at the person looming above me. They cackled, a disturbing smile forming on their face, in their right hand a bloody knife gleaming. The last sound I heard as the life drained from my body was the reverberating sound of their maniacal laughter filling the air.