Snow Child | Teen Ink

Snow Child

By Derata PLATINUM, Corona, California
Derata PLATINUM, Corona, California

It was cold when Rose got up, but then again it was always cold. It seemed and almost perpetually feeling for her even thou the sun was bursting the stones outside. She got up and walked quietly to the door and listened to see if her parents were awake. She heard nothing, she vaulted out the window and onto the fire escape outside. She jumped down from one ladder to another and after almost one hundred such jumps her finally landed on the hot concert of the surface of Trantex. She moved quickly threw the streets avoiding the unruly drunkards and vaguer bonds that walked lazily threw the crowds of people walking to work. Purses were stolen and pocket picked all without Rose beefing noticed at all. She was fifteen and still managed to be a foot shorter than most of the crowd. It took about ten minutes but she finally arrived at the "Drop." The Drop was an old where house where the local kids hung out and indulged in various vices. Rose went up to her usual perch in the rafters above a series of pool tables. Where she meet Adam he was a year older than her, but looked like he was well into college. His parents had died a year after he was born and had basically lived in the Drop his whole life.
"Hey Rose have you seen Aron?"
"Nope, so what is the run today?"
"We are supposed to drop by the Factory and... liberate some solvent." Said Aron. Solvent was slang for the dull gray boxes that equivocated one standard meal for any age. The food was a large hunk of bread that expanded in the stomach so no mater how old someone was they were always full with one meal.
"Ok," said Rose "then what are we waiting for?"
"Aron... Well we both know where he is going to be so I guess we should go get him." Said Adam. The two stood on the beams and ran from arch to arch until the leaped onto a stair case and made their way to the ground from their they left the drop and made their way through a series of allies to a part of the city that was even more a dive than this one. Eventually they arrived at their destination and slipped in threw an open window. The smell of drugs and alcohol wafted over them like the tide line. Between the two of them they managed to peer through the cigaret smoke and go though a series of corridors looking for Aron. Women in various states of undress passed them as the walked and men cased said women around. Even though it was six o'clock in the morning standard time it was still a full of boisterous commotion. Rose was just stepping around a corner when a piercing voice cracked out from the crowed. It's wavering tones and striking aspect gave a clear indication the speaker was very drunk.
"Heyy Roosee whaa you doin here, wait why are their two of you I didn't give birth to no twiins, dat wiuld have bein illigieel." Roses Mom burst out of the crowd and fell into Rose's arms. She looked up at her daughter and started to say something else but was interrupted by a wave of vomiting.
"Where is your father, where is Steven"
"Mom Dad's name is Ben."
"No, no, no your other brother, I mean Father your actually Father." Rose turned to Adam, "I'd better take her home you find Aron and then I'll meet you at the usual place tonight and you can fill me in on the plan the." Rose lifted her mother into her arms and started walking out. Even thou her Mom was thirteen years older than she was still thirty pounds lighter than Rose. Besides Rose was well muscled and carried her mom easily back to their house. Her Mom vomited again during the elevator ride back to their apartment, but finally Rose laid her Mom down in her bed. Rose looked around the room, it looked as if her Dad had already left for work.   She sighed and looked back at her blithering mom on the bed. Her veins grew cold as she looked, cold and loveless, feelingless, numbed, a floating detached feeling overcame her and... She snapped back into existence. Window indicated it was almost evening, how long had she been standing there. She ran to her room and fumbled under the bad. Her fingers closed on a needle and with one fluid motion she reached it out from under the bed and jammed it into her arm. The label on the plastic cover read "snow." A wave of ice rushed through her veins and that lovely feeling of detachment came over her whole body, once again she was free of caring, wanting, knowing even about her parents, her conscience suppressed she could watch out for number one now, herself.
She meet Aron and Adam onto of the Straint Building near the far east side of the city. Before them the massive entirety of the factory was spread out before them like a carpet of machinery.
"So are we going with the usual plan?" Asked Aron, a tall thin gangling boy of thirteen.
"Ya same as always is everyone ready?" Replied Adam and nodes of assent I turned answered his query. They each pulled up the hoods on their black sweatshirts and pulled face guards over their mouth and nose. They leaped off the roof and landed on another lower roof, from there two more jumps had them over the factory wall and on one of the massive machine conveyer belts. They crouched behind piles of plant matter and after a few minutes they passed a waste shoot. They jumped in and it lead them into a dump truck. From there it was a well rehearsed dance of sprints, ducks, and climbs into the where house where the filled trucks were waiting to distribute the solvent throughout the city. They were hanging from the rafters looking for an unattended truck when the guard say them. He was looking up smoking a cigaret when he cried out and pointed up at them. They dropped down and landed on the roof of a truck and started jumping from roof to roof going towards the exit. The line of trucks stopped and they were forced to drop onto the ground but they were instantly surrounded by four beefy guards in gray uniforms holding tazers. Rose bull rushed one guard diving for his legs at the last moment and knocking him over. Adam kicked one in the fork of his legs and then stabbed him with his own tazer when he doubled over. Aron ran back into one of the truck's cab and stared the engine. He drove the truck forward and Rose and Adam jumped on and they made a clean get away.
"That was close, to close we should go in a different way next time." Said Adam. Rose pocketed a tazer she had grabbed from one of the guards and said "Can you drop me off at me apartment before you take this to the Drop?"
"Sure but don't you want to help pass this stuff out there is a lot of hungry people we are gonna be feeding."
"No I should get home." It had just occurred to her she had left her mother alone and drunk she should get back and sober her up before Dad got home, he always got mad when Mom was drunk because it always meant she had been at the whore house.
She took the elevator up the her floor and open the door to her apartment quietly as to avoid her fathers attention. Unfortunately it didn't work, as she opened the door her a glass whiskey glass shattered against the wall right next to her head. She didn't flinch but a slight tint of hot anger spread through her veins before it was quenched be icy indifference. She looked around and saw her father siting in a chair with a bottle in his hand her Mother was on the ground and blood was trickling from her mouth she was out cold. More anger spread through her veins.
"I had to teach the whore a lesson. She can't be unfaithful to me like that, I am her husband after all and I deserve my respect. And where have you been girl! You been following in her footsteps haven't you! Haven't you!" He sprang up and slapped Rose across the face.
  Rose just stared at her mother splayed out on the floor, unmoving. She felt heat spreading from her chest and her fists clenched. She didn't she her moms chest moving, and with that revelation she walked up to her father and in a single motion she snatched up the scotch bottle and swung it across his temple. He crumbled onto the ground, then bolted back up and punched Rose in the jaw.
"What are you doing you crazy girl! You turning against your own father, your gonna pay for this girl!' And he slapped her again and then began to remove his belt winding it around his knuckles.
Rose's insides were on fire she was so angry that every drop of icy cold and dissipated. She made a fist with the middle knuckle pointed and drove it into his solar plexus. He curled over and she brought her knee into his jaw. He flipped over and landed on his back. As he started to stand again and she smashed her foot into his knee and it cracked with an audible noise. He ground and fell back into a floor to ceiling window. His dead weight shattered the window and he fell down. His limp body deflected off a passing hover car on its long journey down to the ground. And so wing very interesting happened to Rose before she had started to fight her father she had been burning up but now she was colder than she had ever been even as she watched her fathers body thud against the concrete, far below.