Mistake | Teen Ink

Mistake

By Phuong BRONZE, Vienna, Virginia
Phuong BRONZE, Vienna, Virginia

Never give up

As I woke up, I felt my self handcuffed behind my back, sitting in a corner of a dark smelly room. It was a prison that I was staying in. Panicked, desperate, bewildered, I stood at the door and shouted, "Help! Can somebody tell me what is going on with me? Hello? What am I here? What did I do wrong?" There was no answer, just silence. I stumbled and fell to the ground. Looking around, I saw rats moving around, talking to one another and some small, disgusting creatures. Some lived, but others died. I was so confused and scared that I almost burst into tears. I tried to remember what caused me to be here, but I couldn't! I felt like the world was falling down and I was about to die. It was scary and horrible! Never have I ever struggled like this before! After a minute or so, I heard the door cracking. A prison guard walked in. He was so strong and tall that I could not even up his entire body. His voice sounded like that of the old cronies:

"Miss Jay, I need you to go with me."
    "Please, Mr., can you tell me why I am here? I don't remember anything about last night."
    "Please don't panic! You will know the reason why soon. Now please stand up and follow me."
    "No", I shouted," I will not go anywhere unless you tell me everything."
    "Don't resist against us, or you will be hurt."
    "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH", I went crazy and could not control myself from screaming. I started breaking things and throwing them.
    But then, some other big guards came and grabbed my arms and legs. Suddenly, my leg hurt so badly; I looked down and realized that they...gave...me...an...injection...of...diazepam. I didn't...know...anything...
    I woke up . As much as I could see, sitting in chair, chained, in a big room white-on-white. There was a huge screen in front of me, and I thought it was about to show something. Meanwhile, a group of commanders walked in and talked to me:
    "Hello, Miss Jay, welcome to the discovery  room of this prison! First thing first, do you remember anything about the scenario last night?"
    "Silly. If I know what happened, do I have to sit here in confusion and scream in my mind what the heck is going on?"
    "Wow, such an agressive girl! But I'm sure your behavior now will disappear immediately after you watch this video. Let's see!"
    I was so angry at what he has said that I shook my hands, legs, and chair so hard that one of the chains broke. My hand was bleeding.
    As the video started, I controlled myself and began watching. It opened with a pool party; everyone was playing, dancing, and enjoying himself very much. After a while, I could see myself on the screen. Suddenly, some of my memories came back. But how did I get into jail? In the video, I was standing next to a guy named Ted. Ted was my best friend since high school; and I hated his ex-girlfriend, Ella. She was a mean girl, and she always played pranks on me since we were in elementary school...
   I remembered something. "Did I kill this girl?", I mumbled. My head hurt like crazy; I turned around and asked the guard hesistantly: "Did I do something to Ella? Where is she now?" But he just said:" Please don't say anything, but keep on watching." I wanted to get out and question him, but I could not move. I looked up and saw Ella and I quarreling loudly. She cursed me and accused me of stealing her boyfriend, who appearantly was Ted. I could not stand it and fought her back. I stabbed her in the face, and she stabbed it back. For some reasons, I was holding a pair of scissors when Ella ran towards me. The scissors went through her belly. She stumbled down to my feel. Blood was spreading everywhere. The video ended, I was shocked. I was just sitting there wondering whethere I killed her on purpose or not. I didn't understand anything and didn't want to know. I was scared as I am a KILLER now. I was shaking as I never did before. The guard asked me to remained calm, and they would call me back the next day.
    In the evening, I couldn't admit what I have done. I never hurt anyone before. I kept telling myself, trembling:" No, I didn't do anything. It was only a mistake. I did not commit any felonies. Please tell me I am fine. Pleaseee!" I was moaning, shouting, and crying as a baby. Nobody could understand how I felt. I was only eighteen and about to get to college. There is a bright future waiting in front of me, and now I had to spend the rest of my life in jail. It's horrible, totally. I could not stop those poor tears from coming out. Even thinking was scary.
    Next morning, the commander came and talked to me:
    "How do you feel now?"
    "It is still impossible for me to imagine what I had done. I promise I did not do it on purpose."
    "Yeah, life is tough, isn't it? You are young but unfortunately stuck in the worst scenario of life. But life is this, you fall and you have to get up on your own feet."
    "What am I gonna do now? My whole future is waiting for me out there. And now all I can do is sitting in this dark corner."
    "Remember that it is never too late to start a life. The decision is all you. As you are young and inspiring, we will reconsider the punishment for you. Let's think about it and tell me, okay?"
     I nodded and thanked him. I was such a lucky girl that they put an easy spell on me. I spent the whole day thinking about my mistake and all that. To be honest, I have learnt a lot of things from my huge mistake. If this didn't happen, I would not grow up and become an adult. I have made my decision and I hope I did it right.
     I went to see the commander and told him:
     "I will probably have to stay for a long time, and please help me deal with my mistake and grow up. But before that, I want to sorry Ella's family for what I had done. I will promise to be a better person."
    "You made a right decision, girl. I will always be beside you."
    I was crying on his shoulder and kept saying,"I'm so sorry, but I was so scared. I'm sorry..."