Treat People the Way You Want to be Treated | Teen Ink

Treat People the Way You Want to be Treated

July 23, 2015
By yajahira marquez BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
yajahira marquez BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Why is you shootin? you gonna kill us. do you even know how to work that thing?” my heart dropped when I saw my sister grab my friend’s shotgun.
.
“Of course. I am not stupid like someone I know, I don't wanna say her name but i am looking right at her,” she replied.

“Grandma, I am only six. I can't drive the truck yet...” silly of my grandma to tell me to to take her to the store in the truck.


It’s a hot summer in July. Oh my God I can't stand this heat, but oh well this is where I was born and I can't imagine my life without this heat, or the garapinados of my tia, and  even the idea of watching the ants walk in the dropped lolly I left in the floor. Oh man I just can't live somewhere else that's not my zacatecas, my beautiful mexico, mi mexico lindo y querido.

 

What's wrong with people leaving? It's great here, I can make mud pies and eat dirt. Why is it so hard to eat frijoles con nopales y mole rojo with una agua de jamaica? My mom is in the United States, or what we say here en la boquilla del carme , está en el norte. I miss her sooo much and my dad of course. All I have I am happy with. I don't understand why they have to leave. Can't they just work here and get their money? It's not fair that I have my mom and dad so far because of some stupid law about having us separated from our parents.

 

Well most of us people say that I shouldn't worry about anything, but if you were far away from your family you would know that the most important thing in the world is to stick together with your family. I regret not going with my mom and even if I wanted to go she would had said no. My sister gets all the attention, for know is the only one born in el norte. It's not fair she is soooo cute according to my mom. She says that I might be dying to see her but to be honest with you that little brat could stay over there. I dont mind at all if I never get to see her. Even better, I can't express that enough. She toke my mom away she took the love of my dad away from me. All he cares is about is her just her. And maybe he even forgot he left a daughter and a son here in Mexico. People say thats not true but me and you know tha'ts true and as long as I stay here is not going to change a thing. I am a jealous freak but I can't help it, that little brat I wish I could choke her soo bad. Enough about her! I grew up being mexican no one will change that.

 

la Fiesta De la Boquilla Del Carmen was coming right around the corner i had nothing to wear. Who would have thought that it would be my last fiesta in Mexico…

 

Yesssss it's morning already. Oh my God, today is the day even though I'll spent hours in the mass it's worth it,

“hey little bro get up it's time,  los juegos have arrived, and grandpa will take us on the horse”

he smiled got up and said nothing ever since mom and dad went away he hasn't said a word.


and, also, cause he is only four.


I put on my dress I have only worn once and new shoes. I looked like a true princess, omg grandpa is here he was back from el barbecho that's were his crops grow and were the sweetest corn grows quickly. I brushed my teeth and went out. I had no choice I was going to get my horse, white like my clean sheets in my bed this morning white as the sparkling fluffy snow, never seen snow but in movies it just seemed like it's cozy you could  just to lay on it for a couple of minutes. it hasn't snowed since the year 1994 five years before i was born so i didn't even get to see it personally can't wait till it snows again its very rare here in mexico to snow as you can tell. finally time to go my horse it was out already and no I won't ride it alone I still too little I mean have you seen a six-year-old ride a horse. I got on it we went down that ugly, nasty, bumpy hill. The horse just had to step on a nopal again this time I almost fell out of it. On the way there, my grandpa was telling us about la llorona. omg I hated her cause of her I was always scared of going swimming in el rio.

 

Finally, after 15 minutes that seemed liked years we got there safe. The mass was longer than usual during that the deacon was saying something about pomegranates. I asked grandma why he was talking about that she said it was about immigrants god knows what those are when she told me it was like my mom and dad. I thought it was people that don't come back. she never really did not explain what that was or who that was? what i also didnt know was that I would soon become one.my grandma introduced me to a fat green eyed monster with red hair and big nose and jagged teeth. she seemed like she was hungry for children oh no shes going to eat me! hide my brother she's going to cook us in her witchy oven i felt like hansel and gretel in the gingerbread house my grandma once told be about them.runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn no wait what about grandma and grandpa i can't leave them with the witch oh no what do i do…

 

i stayed put my grandma must be crazy she said that witch was my mother i know that could not be right my mother is pretty with her long hair and skinny not a fat, house lady that probably came straight from the momias of egypt only fat and more ugly. she said we were gonna go live with her and she will take us to the united states were everyone was, i was like does she think i am stupid i think i know what my own mother looks like.I told  her i couldn't go i had not feed the pigs yet or the chickens. OMG grandpa will be so mad at me if didn't do it.Then grandma told me that it was ok she would do it for me that we just need to get our things we needed to take to leave.
“Grandma where will the pigs go there will be no room in that tiny car and what about Lussy “

lussy is my white horse i had told you earlier about we got to the end of the carnival,  the fair with all its lights super pretty and colorful. i had elote my last one i thought there is no corn in america grandpa has it all in the farm. Before i went on my way to el norte i had to say goodbye to the chickens and Lussy they just can't come with us i told Lussy to be good and so we were off in an old, muddy, dirty, cheap jeep we went on our way to the airport of busses we took two busses my god i was dying. it came to a part where some guy asked us if that witch was our mother and i thought she wasn't but i knew what i had to do.

“no sir this is not my mother, she is more than  onlllllllllly a  mother she has been a friend also”

i dont know why i said that, i dont even know this old lady, till yesterday or atleast i think it was yesterday i lost track what day it was.one thing i am shure of that this it not my mother and its also not my birthday.

i knew that women wasn't my mother but something told me that i had to say she was for my safety.

we have finally have arrived  and this house is not like the house that my mother described.  in her way it was much prettier and it was underground not a house with stairs inside pretty weird if you ask me.

oh snap that b**** just hit my bro was wrong with her only i can hit him and he is only four what the hell is her deal she aint my mother that's for sure my mom wouldnt put a finger or even through the chancla like most mexican mothers do to their kids but not mine. oh man she better get her stinky ass fat ass fingers of my brother.

so then what i did was get up from where i was and and got her fat ass hand of his delicate head and bit her she started bleeding i didn't mind

“you little brat you have to respect me i am your mother and your protector you'll see when your father comes”

“i dont have to listen to you, you are not my mother my mothers name is not gargamel. my mother is much too pretty to look like you”

it turns out that the “father” was indeed my father but no sign of my real mother it's been three years since i have seen her she could be much different then i remember her she could be either much nicer or mean, what if she dosent  like me what if the little brat of my sister took her away from me like she did with my father. OMG  WHAT I AM GOING TO DO this lady gonna eat us omg, god tell my mother i love her i'm sorry i didn't get to see her again but save my brother. he is only four and undefensive please don't kill him he has more to live then me let him live.

dang i had a plan to sew that women i can't know, i am leaving, but thank god i felt free, i was out of the gingerbread house and on my way to who knows were just anywhere but that old rached house. we were in car i had not seen before it was really big and shiney, i had a good feeling about this. we stopped at this place called taco bell we had to go cuz we were hungry and it was a long way to go. and yes i am going to go see my mom. finally, i forgot all about her with all those tacos.

the time was hard but i  got through the whole thing even if it meant getting out of my country.know i started high school it has not been easy there has been many people that except me because of how i sometimes do things they say i am too “mexican” either its a compliment or people are just too much of a hypocrite it's been hard enough in elementry trying to fit in. Trust me its just not  the type of life i imagined i thought that living in the american dream was going to be enjoying and so much of people just judging back in mexico i didn't have to worry about people judging me for any reason it didn't matter.But instead i find myself trying to live the world we live in it's soo not fair that i and millions of others have the fear that ice might one day come pick us and deport us back to where we came from.For us students to live with the fear of losing  the right to an education just like everyone else we are not aliens we are real people living in a place that will hurt many families that will be separated that will not have their children with them and have to live with the pain that they are far away just like i was for a couple of years. it's been 10 years that i have not seen my grandparents maybe in movies sent from mexico and pictures and that's about it actually. you people like donald trump don't imagine how far we go through to be with our families. the desert, the lake we got to cross maybe that's not how i came but ill tell you the truth i prefer to stay back home i miss my grandparents sooo much.But over my dead body that Donald Trump will become president i might be only a short, ugly and with desire of wanting to kill that guy but believe me there is more than half the united states that want to get rid of that racist,ugly, really fat white man that says we are murderers ,that we are criminals that rape people.that we are people without the right to be living here.

Well, get this Donald Trump it's a shame but we will not and never will leave this country i might only be fifteen but trust me i honestly knowing my people recommend you to leave us alone or else.

You i am so dearly sorry to tell you that us mexicans you will be seeing us more then your people in your people are betraying you. i feel sorry for you if you want war you will get war and this time you won't win and the victory will be ours and trust me even if we do lose i can't express it enough but u still won't get rid of us so easily.

Today will be the day that i come out as a dreamer over the world, a group of dreamers are going to face the idiot of Donald Trump and tell him what we think of him and it won't be pretty i might only be fifteen but he is in for a really nice treat maybe not so much for him but for us doing this coming out and speaking out for many of others in this country that are maybe scared to show up because from the look of it many don't care what we have to say but it doesn't matter they are going to have to deal with us for the day. honesty with all our might we'll make sure those politicals that are making racist comments about us and defending us like we were something he has never seen these people will be sorry and no we won't have any competition over anybody, just like they hate us and treat us like worst then even an animal is treated. they will soon know whats like to go through the desert with family just to get her to experience many deaths that happen while you cross or swim. i might not be the best person ever that has made it here, but i have my things i am not going to rest until we get what we want and i am sure no one will our families are put at risk.
Today there is a person holding a poster that says, YOU PEOPLE THINK YOU OWN THE PLACE BUT THAT TREAT WILL SOON GO AWAY,

Well thats no help the least thing that we want to is to start a riot we have enough violence with all the people thinking we are “dangerous” and going against us and making it seem like we are the bad guys in this situation which is not the truth we are loyal, trustworthy, honest, people that in any chance of working we get we do it people apparently we are not good enough to have the same rights as  they have we don't want anything taken away from them all we want is to like they do have the same rights is not going to kill anybody. on the contrary we want to help them out we have many talented people that can do things they can't and one thing that we do understand is that they are thirsty for money just look at those taxes, talking about taxes  if they make us pay them why not give us the same rights they have since we do what they do and sometimes we don't even get rewarded for it.

every now and then people look at our immigration status to make sure we from here or not it doesn't matter anymore people don't care if we treated the same way as they are

“ hey what you doing saturday”

“non much you”

“ cuz well i wanted you guys to come i got my shotgun we could go shoot some cans i been saving”

“sure ill go you said you guys whos you guys”

“oh i meant your sister”

“ohhhhhhhhhh her, why her tho she ugh soooo annoying you know i can't stand her”

“well you wanna come or not, you mom would probably make you come with her”

“thats true so yeah ill see you there then bye”

“bye see you there then”

the next day i found myself going gun shooting. my sister like always was here putting her nose in everything she still that little brat i have always hated  and will always be until she goes and and leaves me be and i don't have to worry about her getting in my business and maybe ill get my own room with a new bed and only my stuff not hers.oh well i went home i didn't feel good so i just ate an apple i picked the most shiniest red one i could find it seems impossible but i did find it i ate it it was the sweetest thing i have ever tried like honey on a hershey's bar. i ended up going to bed late i best friend came over and slept over he was the last person i saw THAT DAY.

“awo” i woke up with a sudden pain in my lungs. I couldn't breath what's wrong with me I tried calling for my mom i can't talk so i tried i reached for a base in through it on the floor it broke my mom had heard a smash and i fell in the floor blurry i saw my mom calling the ambulance but…

its too late the doctor said i had a heart attack and there was nothing else to do then call in a funeral home and prepare to give me the last goodbye it wasn't at all what i had planned for my life i never saw my grandparents again  i see myself in that white gown in that box i was in.

i was so pale more than ever. i saw my friend Austin telling my mom what i had said in the hospital i had only lived an hour after the attack and the last person i saw was him.

ok my last words were TREAT SOMEONE HOW YOU WOULD WANT TO BE TREATED!

IN THE END YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT LIFE IS GOING TO SURPRISE YOU WITH. MAYBE I COULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING BETTER BEFORE I WENT INTO THE  LIGHT SOMETHING ILL NEVER FORGET IS THAT I NEVER GOT THE CHANCE TO TELL MY SISTER I REALLY LOVED HER, THAT I WAS SORRY IF I EVER TREATED HER WRONGLY, OR JUST MY LITTLE BRO, I SHOULD HAVE TOLD HIM THE STORY HE ALWAYS WANTED FOR BED ,OR MY OTHER BROTHER THE ONE THAT WAS WITH ME… “I AM SORRY BROTHER I AM GOING TO BE ABSENT IN YOUR GRADUATION, SORRY I DIDN'T GET YOU ANYTHING BUT IT'S TIME FOR ME TO LEAVE, I AM REALLY SORRY MOM FOR EVER YELLING AT YOU OR YOU MY FATHER, I AM SORRY FOR EVER DOUBTING YOUR LOVE. YOU NEVER REALIZE SOMETHING IS WRONG UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE. Its too late for me to do anything know uh man i am going to have to live without having anything know can't go partying no more, i have unfinished business and i won't go till its done just remember the thing that is at most the most important thing to me…

treat someone the way you would want to be treated and things will go alright, most of the time. its time for my departure know i can't stay longer the light is waiting on me.i'll always be remembered as that girl who had the unfinished business

dont worry ill be back…………………………………………….. and it will not be so pleasant for most people:(


The author's comments:

it's almost what happen to me.