The Lighthouse | Teen Ink

The Lighthouse

By Pennh10 BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
Pennh10 BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford

On November 22nd, 1963, one shot in one city left a nation of two hundred million hearts trembling in unison. Before dawn on the 23rd, every corner of the country, from Pacific cliffs to Rocky peaks to Atlantic shores, braced for the aftershocks of history being made. No place was immune, but a few kept quiet, those whose ties to the rest of the world were weak, and thus, when the world changed a lot, they only changed a little.
Silver Bay was one such place. Where the sparse woodlands of Northern Minnesota reach for the rooftop of the world; where a blanket of boreal pines is only broken by the occasional road or mound or millionth lake; where plunging temperatures crystallize the land in frost half the year only for sunshine to shatter the stasis with a brief, bombastic bloom - the rich land sprawls toward the arctic circle with hardly a boundary built by the hand of God or Man in any direction; any direction but one. Here, the first Native American must have burst through the trees one morning to a terrifying surprise. Here, the land meets the rim of Lake Superior and collapses without warning over jagged cliffs into a violent and seemingly infinite sea. Here, squalls of fog, or snow, or gale could sweep out of the sky without warning. Here, storms mean massive waves thrashing the coast with a vengeance; and here, that first settler must've clung to the cliffs for fear he'd fall off the edge of the earth.
Thousands of years later the coast was a remote gem on America's northern frontier. The woods meant a wilderness refuge, and the lake, a gateway to the Atlantic, a vital yet unpredictable artery. Each wave had a mind of its own and no mariner dared argue with it. Instead they fought. The waves needed no weapons, but the mariners did battle aboard steamers and barges, armed with compasses and telescopes and eventually radio and radar, hoping to escape a showdown on their journey to the Atlantic. Defeats were inevitable. Over the years dozens of ships disappeared in the great jaws of the lake, but in the thrashing grip of nature's fiercest storms, far more were saved by a mere man-made light, blinking on the horizon.
Since 1905 the lighthouse has stood stoic, perched on a towering palisade, hundreds of feet above the water, a pinnacle of stability overlooking a world of change. The elevation meant it was as much tied to the sky as the land; as any lighthouse operator would attest, it was often swallowed in storms or snow or fog. When weather veiled the view, the operator would watch the mariners with a blind eye, communicating with ship's captains over the airwaves so they could navigate the violent waves. Yet perched amid the battlefield of land, sea, and sky, an operator couldn't escape the primal loneliness of that first Indian; clinging to the edge of the earth, gazing out over infinite space, wondering what invaders might emerge from beyond the brink of comprehension. So at 4:55 in the morning on November 23rd 1963, as the fog of fear clouded millions of Americans' minds, an equally thick fog closed in on the Superior shore. Only one man was awake to see it. One man beneath a spinning light.
On clear days the light reached forty miles into the unknown. Every ray traveled miles in milliseconds and became a blinking speck on hundreds of horizons. The great lake would swallow the man’s voice within yards. But the light? The light was untouchable. The light cast an unflinching beacon of certainty across an undulating blanket of unknown. The light assuaged fear in the hearts of mariners--but the man? To him, the light reinforced the chilling thought that he could be seen from much further than he could see.
Out here, darkness was undeterred by urban glow. It was as thick and voluptuous and stagnant as the silence it contained, and though the lighthouse walls blocked wind and rain and snow, darkness seeped through, into the room, into his head, and dulled his thoughts so that as he sat still his mind floated in a twilight of consciousness. He hadn't moved a muscle in minutes. His perception was filled with the rotation of the light and the click of the pendulum of a grandfather clock, spinning and swinging, spanning distance and time. Every so often a swing of the light and a click of the clock met in unison, before the two diverged on their separate circular paths, each bound for a different infinity. As each click of the clock receded into the past, the light threw itself into the future. Now, an obstacle blocked its course.
"SS Augusta to Split Rock, do you copy?"
The crackling transmission pulled the man from his twilight; awake into darkness.
"Roger that."
"We're a couple miles off Silver Bay. Losing visibility fast. What's the report from the weather station?"
The man found it atop pile of papers. "Forecast said clear skies and 10 knot winds off the east. What're you reading?"
A heavy breath. "We’re reading close to thirty knots. Waves are picking up."
"What'd you say about visibility?"
"Can't see s***. Fog bank must've come out of nowhere."
The man set down the radio and turned his gaze to the window. The only predictable weather was unpredictability. What was new? The discrepancy between what he heard and saw. The answer was hidden in the blackness somewhere between the him and the SS Augusta. The light threw a beam seaward as the clock clicked. He pictured the harmonic motion of the pendulum intersecting the circular path of the beam; both pioneers of impenetrable darkness.
"Split Rock to SS Augusta. 28 degrees southwest on the horizon, can you see a light?"
Scrambled clicks and crackles. Roaring wind. Finally, the voice. "28 degrees southwest? Negative."
Now the man's eyes followed the light seaward. Between him and the ship was a barrier neither could see. The only eyes to unlock the mystery belonged to a passing seagull, swept off course by wind and dragged east over the water. As it struggled to stay its course and see ahead, the beam of light dispersed into a million strands in a billowing wall of fog. The light passed; the fog vanished. The bird was pulled into a dive.
"Yacht Ave Maria to Split Rock, do you copy?"
The man switched frequencies and picked up.
"Roger."
"Twelve miles northeast of shore. We've got an anomaly going on."
"Please explain."
"Wind and waves changed direction. We're getting pulled south. 35 knots. Visibility's fading fast. Current's crazy strong. Water's hitting us from three sides. Perpendicular waves."
"Look due south. Can you see the Split Rock Light?"
"Barely. We lost it a minute ago."
"Roger that. Stay your course with caution. Keep me posted."
The man spun in his chair and picked up a kerosene lantern. He held it to the wall and bathed a map of the Superior shoreline in golden light. He marked an X two miles east on the water, then westward arrows and 30 knots. He marked another X ten miles due north of the first. Southward arrows and 35 knots. Finally, he looked to a note he'd scrawled an hour ago, and marked an arrow from the lighthouse: east, two knots. He sat back and pondered the vortex on the map.
"Split Rock, this is the SS Augusta. Do you read?"
The man moved back to his desk.
"Roger."
An indiscriminate roar of wind and water crackled in over the line. Then a voice, the sound drowning in static-- "We're getting interference. Compasses spinning around. Wind's… changing direction--" the roar overpowered the voice and transmission cut off into silence.
Outside, the wind shifted. Every floorboard in the lighthouse gave a resounding creak. The hairs prickled on the back of the man's neck. The clicking of the clock gave way to a dissonant melody and the chimes battled the wailing winds for dominance. The melody repeated; the circling light swept past. A hollow bong resounded from the clock. The man grabbed the radio once more.
"SS Augusta, this is Split Rock. Do you read?"
A crackle of static pulsed through the line. The light circled. More static. The sound waned like a flickering candle, then dissipated into the wind like smoke into thin air. A second bong from the clock. A wail of wind and a sweep of the light reflected a 180-degree glow: a cloud's edge, fast encroaching on the lighthouse. Another bong. Two more sweeps of light, each reflection brighter than the last.
"Ave Maria, this is Split Rock. Do you copy?"
A fourth bong. The man switched frequencies.
"Split Rock to Silver Bay coast guard station, do you read?"
The fifth and final bong hung in the air. It trembled like an object sliding over a precipice then plunged into silence. With no visibility, no communications, and no clue about the mysteries beyond his window, at five a.m. on November 23rd 1963, the man was alone.
Whatever the seagull saw had sucked it into a dive.  It had slipped into a dead zone drifting toward the Superior shore, a vacuum swallowing all communications and deafening the great lake with silence. Only one voice managed to supersede the elements.
"Mayday, mayday!"
The voice leapt from the fog; the man leapt from his seat. He grabbed his radio.
"Roger that, this is Split Rock. Please identify yourself."
"I'm First Mate Fred Raulston of the City of Ashland. Rogue wave blindsided us. She's taking water fast. 5 crew and valuable cargo. Send help now!"
"What's your position?"
"8 miles east of Castle Danger. We're getting pulled east. Waves were pulling us west a minute ago. Damn wind and water keep changing direction."
"You're the third to report unusual conditions."
"Yeah, I've never seen the lake like this."
"The storm's interfering with our signal. Fred, I'm gonna call for help on every line I've got. You stay on, okay?"
"Roger that."
The man switched frequencies. "Coast Guard station, this is Split Rock, we've got a mayday call from the City of Ashland. Do you read me?"
No response. He switched again and again. Finally, he sent the same message on all frequencies, and could only sit back as they dispersed to drown in the unknown. Thirty more clicks of the clock and ninety sweeps of the light and he contacted Fred again.
"Fred, all my communications are down. I need you to call for help on every line you've got."
"I already have, dammit. How do you figure this got through?"
"I don't know, Fred. But I can hear you. Keep talking. Tell me about your ship."
"City of Ashland. Huge steamer. 248 automobiles and 5 crew."
"What kind?"
"What?"
"What kind of cars you got?"
"Model T's."
The man narrowed his eyes. "You're going down with 248 antiques?"
"Hell no. Fresh off the lines. We're running 'em from Detroit to Duluth."
  The man took it in. The light circled but half reflected back. He was alone in the cloud. "Alright, Fred. I don't pretend to be a car expert, but Ford stopped making the Model T in the twenties. What's your cargo?"
"I told you. 248 Model T's."  
  "Be straight with me, Fred, or we'll let you sink like a Soviet Sub."
"Soviets don't have subs. Just the Germans. I'm American, I promise you. Born and raised in Silver Bay, Minnesota."
"What day did you depart Detroit?"
"November 19th."
"What year?"
"This year, of course. 1923."
A tense silence stretched between Fred and the lighthouse operator, threatening to sever their tenuous connection.
Where’s your captain?"
“Overboard, dammit!”
“You said 1923?”
"Yes, it’s 1923, are you out of your damn mind? We’re going down."
“You’re soaking wet, aren’t you.”
“No s***, why?”
“Hypothermia. It’ll make you delirious.”
“You think I’m joking?”
The man breathed a frustrated sigh. "Fred? You may be eight miles away from me. We might be weathering the same storm. But where I'm standing, communications are down, there's a zero-visibility cyclone over Lake Superior, and it's November 23rd, 1963.”
"Listen, old man. Our hull's half in. We’re getting hammered by ten-footers. I need you to get off your lazy ass and send someone to rescue us!"
The operator scoffed. “Communications are shot. I’ve tried each frequency twice. How old are you, anyways?”
A sigh crackled through. "Twenty-five. Born in 1898. Tell me something, will ya? If you’re from 1963, who's president after Harding?"
The man stifled disbelief. "Coolidge. Then Hoover. You know that."
“Anyone could’ve guessed. What the hell else happens?”
The man cast a shade of sarcasm through his voice. "A market crash. '29. The whole country's in the dumps for a decade, but we make it back.” He paused. “Then there's war. A great one."
"Bigger than the Great War?"
"Much bigger."
"When's that one end?"
"1945.”
“No s***.”
“Fred, you know all this. You’re soaked. You’re going into shock. Just hang in there until this storm blows over and our signals get through.” 
“I’m not in shock, dammit.” He caught his breath. “I can tell you the name of every town on the north shore of this lake. I could read you the license plates of the cars on our ship. I could read off our coordinates. I can read the calendar in the captain’s quarters from here. You know what it says? November 23rd, 1923.”
The man blinked his eyes. He imagined waking from his twilight and bursting through the fog to clarity, yet he’d never felt so awake. His heartbeat quickened against the steady rhythm of the spinning light and swinging pendulum. His thoughts roared to life like the wind wailing beyond the windows. He grabbed his radio once more. "Fred? Before I got your call, some ships were reading anomalies. Perpendicular waves. Compasses changing direction. This storm wasn't supposed to even appear."
Fred's voice crackled back in. “You don’t say.” He paused for so long the man feared they’d lost connection. But Fred’s voice reemerged. "In the war, my regiment took this town in Belgium. We'd bombed it to the ground by the time we arrived. I remember this boy in the street. Three bullets in his chest but he wasn't gone yet. Talking crazy fast. Our translator said he was hallucinating. Talking to his grandfather. He said the name. It matched a gravestone by the church. The boy kept reaching out, like he saw the man there. Then he nodded off. Records said his grandpa was a priest. Spoke out against the war before he passed. I know the kid was hallucinating, but dammit, nobody's gun fired for two nights. I'm sure there's a reason."
The man’s thoughts floated in the memory of the first mate on the line.
"Hey, old man? Can you do something for me? I’ve got a daughter up in Silver Bay... She's 4 years old. F***, the water's up to my neck!"
"Quick, Fred. Tell me."
A splash of water crackled across the line. Fred’s strained voice was drowning in noise.
"What's her name? Fred?"
A surge of static. One word surfaced: "Irene."
A gale of wind roared out of the east. Every floorboard creaked and the man’s hairs prickled again. The light reflected less and less with each rotation. The fog thinned; a few stars emerged from the darkness; the man was alone and Split Rock Light cast a beacon forty miles across crystal clear dark lake. The only change came from the horizon, where blue tones erupted over the curve of the earth, and the beam stretched toward the future; the edge of November 23rd, 1963.
Over the next day news spread up and down the Superior shore: a coast guard team plunged beneath the waves to search for a shipwreck. Beneath fathoms of blue a hull emerged; the hull of a steamer carrying 248 Model T's. It had spent four decades under the lake, worn by water, yet untouched by the time and change above the surface. The man drove home that night in a frenzy of thought. Somewhere offshore, his 53 years' knowledge of possibility had been transformed, but from it, meaning emerged. Why had Fred's message reached him?
The man strode in his front door. His eyes met his wife's and he kissed her and hugged her. "Irene," he asked. "What's the last you remember of your father?"

As long as I can remember I've been inspired by possibilities of time travel, space-time distortions, and interdimensional communications. I merged those ideas with my passion for geography and history. Plenty of sci-fi and thriller novels, stories, and films have explored this territory, but often, the intellectual/supernatural baggage outweighs an emotional core and alienates the average reader. My goal with The Lighthouse was to tell a gripping story where supernatural elements barely permeate the fabric of a familar reality, and elevate, not detract from, a human story at the center. Any feedback would be awesome.
Peace out guys. 
- Penn Harrison

Tripp Reade said...
on Jul. 13 2015 at 7:12 am
Vivid language here does and excellent job of setting the scene for this time-travel story. Very well done.