The House on The Hill Part 3 | Teen Ink

The House on The Hill Part 3

By _EffortlesslyShnazzy_ PLATINUM, Ooltewah, Tennessee
_EffortlesslyShnazzy_ PLATINUM, Ooltewah, Tennessee

"If I waited until I felt like writing, I'd never write at all."

Now I was really spooked. I wasted no time and I ran all the way home, checking over my shoulder every few minutes to make sure that someone or something wasn’t following me. When I arrived in front of our red-brick two-story house, I slipped my house key from around my neck in the lock, letting myself in. I stepped into the foyer, closing the door behind me, taking a deep breath. I jogged up the stairs to my room, and closed the door, settling myself on my bed. I picked up my iPod from the night table next to my bed and plugged in my ear buds, jamming out to Maroon 5. I took out my Math homework from my backpack, set on getting some of it done before my mother got home.

I had just finished doing the first side of the page when I heard a knock on the front door. I ran down the stairs and opened the door, happy to see my mother standing there. I let her in and threw my arms around her petite frame, inhaling her light fruity perfume. She hugged my back before letting me go.

“Hey honey. You just got home?” She asked, setting her purse on the table.

“No.” I replied. “I’m been home for a little while. I was waiting for you to get home so I could ask you something.”

“What’s your question?” She asked, glancing at me as she took off her shoes, moving them to the side.

“Tessa invited me and the girls to go shopping for costumes at 4 today. I was wondering if you’d let me go.” I sat down at the table, looking up at my mom who was filling a tall glass with water.

“Where is this store?” She asked, sipping her water.

“The store is downtown.” I responded.

“Okay, you can go. Just make you’re back before dinner. Your grandparents are coming over for dinner.” She flung over her shoulder as she pulled pots and pans out of the cabinets.

I groaned, dreading their visit. My grandparents were good folks, but they could be a little overbearing. Almost Every time they came over they would say something, which instigated an argument that would result in everyone getting upset and my mom getting angry with me for starting the argument. We just didn’t get along very well and I tried to avoid occasions where we would have to spend unnecessary time together.

My mom looked up at my groan and shook her head, a grimace on her lips.

“You’ve got to be more welcoming and kind to your grandparents Nora. They love you and they love spending time with you.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Sure they do. Any chance they get they start an argument. Critiquing my clothes, my hair, and my makeup. Everything I do to them is wrong. I can never please them.” I whined.

“I’m sure that’s not true. Just be nicer and smile more and you’ll be fine.” My mom advised.

“Okay.” I sighed. “I’ll try.”

“That’s my girl. Now go upstairs and try and get some homework done and I’ll make you a sandwich before you go.” My mom turned back around opening the fridge and pulling out a bag of sandwich bread and other ingredients.

I ran back upstairs and settled myself in the comfy office chair at my desk, pulling out my math assignment. I was struggling to finish the last problem when I heard my mom call me from downstairs. I slowly walked down the stairs and found a turkey sandwich waiting for me on the kitchen table. I yelled a thank you to my mom who was in her room and sat down. The sandwich was delicious and I finished it in record time. Then I looked up at the clock saw that it was almost four thirty. I leapt up from my chair and retrieved my jacket from my chair. On my way out the door I shouted to my mom that I was leaving and I would be back soon.