Strictly Business | Teen Ink

Strictly Business

June 2, 2015
By Rebekah Aran SILVER, Burlington, Massachusetts
Rebekah Aran SILVER, Burlington, Massachusetts
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A man, crisp suit and fastened tie, can be seen anxious, checking his watch for the third time on a puddled street corner. He stuffs the watch deeper into his pockets, and grips his faux leather briefcase a little bit harder than he had been previously. Soon enough, a boy approaches the man, in stark contrast. He is probably twenty, with sandy hair, not short but not long, by any means. The Suit straightens, greeting him with a formal handshake. They appear to be in a tense conversation, lacking eye contact.
"I can't say that I'm too impressed with your punctuality..." The Suit says, still suffocating the case's handle. The boy nods, with little to no change to his expression except for the addition of pursed lips.
"Yes, sir."
"At least you know your place. Nobody has the respect to call anyone 'sir' anymore." He raises his eyebrows.
The boy, he nods, checking his watch in a constant, nervous way.
"Everything that you need for tonight is in here," the Suit says, reluctant to release his hard grip on the briefcase, but doing it anyway. "Including as much money as you need. I assume you know where you're going tonight?"
"Yes, thank you."
And the Suit handed him the case, straightening his collar, and he departed without another word to the boy. His long strides powered by his own self-determined importance paid no mind to the puddles or the boy in which he left without a goodbye. He seemed lesser without a briefcase by his side.

*****************
"Alicia, do you know what you want to eat yet?" Lou says, a smile playing at his lips across an intricate glass table. Light from candles dance in their eyes, pretty sparkles against their dark irises. He reaches out to her, caressing her delicate hand, and makes note of the cool softness of her skin.
"Not yet, love." She beams. Alicia's dress is long and beaded, falling lightly to the floor with a slight *click* whenever she walked. The beads, framing her neck, made her seem older than she felt. She holds his hand in loving desperation, and makes note of the warmth that radiates from him.
The restaurant was lost in the side streets of the city but it was one of the nicest, tucked away for lovers seeking reprieve from daily life. The inside glows white and gold from strung lights along the ceiling, allowing an intimacy to be created between all guests, couples and friends. Alicia stirs her champagne, noticing how the bubbles float up, as if they are racing to their freedom at the rim of her lipstick-stained glass. She raises her eyes to meet her partner's, whose gaze hadn't left her since she looked down to examine the competing bubbles. Lou has long since let go of her hand, and she examines hers where his once was. She imagines how nice it would be to have a ring on her finger, picked out especially for her. Her thoughts are broken by his speech.

"I think that the Foie Gras was a good choice, don't you think so?" He tilts his head, again with his half smile, and taps his glass with his pointer finger. She nods enthusiastically, faux gold leaf earrings swinging back and forth like pendulums keeping time against the skin in which she hoped he'd kiss later that night.
"Oh yes. Just the way that is is cooked... That's why I come here. That's why this place is my favorite" grinning, head tilted yet still looking at him, she says, "is it time for dessert? I would love something sweet right about now."
Lou leans forward in his cushioned seat. "What do you say about picking up a slice of Tiramisu from Fontana's, and we can go back to my apartment and I'll make you some of my mother's famous hot chocolate. I'll put the fireplace on and everything."
"That's perfect, Lou." As if he knew that they planned on leaving, the waiter approached the table with a friendly smile, questioning them on their thoughts on the meal, and trying to persuade them to stay for longer. With his bright white shirt and professional smile, dark skin and buzzed hair, you could tell that he has convinced many customers to stay for their dessert.
"No, sir, I think we are alright with getting the check now." Lou replied to the man, nodding at Alicia just to confirm. When the man left to receive the bill, the soft-spoken Alicia excused herself to the restroom.
When the waiter came back for the second time with the receipt for their meal, he genuinely wished Lou a good night. With Alicia gone for the moment, Lou beckoned the waiter closer, sharing his excitement with the stranger, as he could hardly contain it himself. "Tonight's the night!" He said, smiling wide for the other man to see. The waiter slapped his hand on Lou's back and gave him an enthusiastic 'congratulations!' And that was when Alicia returned, unaware of the excitement. Lou handed the waiter a ten dollar bill as a tip and ushered Alicia out of the restaurant.


*****************
She held the bag from the Italian pastry shop and he kissed her before opening the door to his apartment. Her dress did the clicking on the hardwood floor, and Lou turned the lights on only to turn on the gas fireplace, turning the the lights off again once they Alicia had settled on the couch. They had decided on Italian wine, as opposed to the hot chocolate, to compliment the tiramisu that they had purchased. She sat, waiting on him to bring her the drink, crossing her legs in very ladylike fashion.
Lou was in the kitchen, less than twenty feet away from Alicia, and he looked up to see her face turned, illuminated by his imitation fire. He had placed two glasses side by side, tilting the darkened bottle of the wine so that the sweet liquid bubbled out in spurts, temporarily staining the clear, spotless glass. When both were halfway full, he retrieved a small plastic bag out of his pocket, one made for holding spare buttons, and sprinkled the insides over the left glass. The contents were light and they disappeared in an instant.
They smiled at each other as he came with drinks in hand. He left once again, returning with the plate full of airy, sugar infused dessert. Lou sat on the rug, leaning his back against the couch, and beckoned for her to sit next to him. Giggling like a child, she slides off of the couch, kicking off her shoes as her body slithered into its position next to him. She looked at him, almost seductively in the light of the faux fireplace, and took the glass that Lou offered with his left hand.
He raised his wine. "To," he hesitates, "new beginnings." Finding his words, he smiles his sly smile and they clink their glasses, each taking deep sips as if to become part of the drink. Her lips stain purple, and wrap around the fork he places into her mouth, slowly taking it out as she revels in the melting softness on her tongue. He kisses her neck, brushing aside the pendulums to rest his burning lips on her smooth skin.
"Lou, I'm exhausted," Alicia moans, pouting yet still leaning into his kiss. The light from the fireplace glints off of her empty wine glass, glinting of a suspicious eye. She lays down, her dress doing the clicking on where the carpet met the hardwood floor. Lou finds the zipper on the side of her garment, exposing her upper body. The firelight bathed her flawless porcelain skin in marigold glow. Alicia did not struggle. Her breathing became heavier than bricks, forcing her chest up and down with each breath that she took. Lou reached under the couch to drag a briefcase above her head, forcing it open with the slightest ease. He retrieved the smallest of the many knives that were lined against the blue velvet inside.
Her skin is his personal canvas. He carves lines into her, trees, flowers. Scenes with lovers. He takes his time, as she whimpers with tears streaming from her closed eyes. The blood from his portraits stains the white rug, Lou replaces his carving knife, wiping it swift on the already ruined carpet. Leaning over her, he grabs now, the largest of the many. Lowering himself to her face, he whispers to her. “I will always remember you, in this moment. You are one of the best, Alicia. You will always stay with me because of that.”

Lou reaches above her, taking a fistful of her hair in his sticky hand, and cut it off, stuffing what he did take into her gaping mouth. Her breathing intensifies, drowsy eyes wild with adrenaline battling the drugs. He takes the knife he has, and plunges it deep into her heart. Blood has stained his face, the rug, the couch, the hardwood floor, and the glass against the fireplace. Placing the knife back into the case, he pulls out a polaroid, crusty with dried blood. When Lou was done taking his pictures, he placed them back into the case, closing it rough and quick. He wraps Alicia in the rug, and washes his hands in the kitchen sink. Cold water mixes with hot blood, communally swirling at the bottom of the sink. He goes into the adjacent restroom, and takes a quick cool shower, ridding the blood from his hair.

Clean and changed, Lou grabs his briefcase. He makes his way to the door, turning toward Alicia in the rolled up carpet on the wall. He grins, turning toward the door. There, he meets his future; another town, a new name, another job, and another six months of gaining trust before his next art piece. He positively could not wait. Convincing was half the fun.