Engulfed | Teen Ink

Engulfed

By Chasing.Chestnut BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Chasing.Chestnut BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Books are the way to reflect on our past while looking into the future.

The room was black. My breaths were short. The pain came from all over. My ears rung like a banshee's scream.
Rubble lay around, mushed, and messed against me. Nothing was in order. All was corrupt. My face felt chawky. Where I had been was not where I lay. It was all disfuncional.
I threw my head back in pain gripping hold of the hand that lay in mine. The air was dusty and boiled my lungs as I breathed. I looked trying to see Libby. All I felt was an icy dry hand. Something, someone was laying on top of my body. Everything was so cold and dry, but turning damp.
Someone screamed in this darkness. My heart jumped and I grabbed her cold hand harder, digging my nails into hers. I screamed out of my burning throat as the object created pain.
My leg crackled under the object lying on top me as it slowly slid crushing my body, morbidly. Both my eyes watered, but I could not wipe them.
Whispers came with a single light. I looked up and started to cry. Fire burns bring. It rushed into the air and with one scream a hand grab hold of my limping body.
With a shaky voice it said “I got you, Venus,” No face showed, but the voice quickened my heart.
Another body came and my hand was ripped from Libby’s. I didn’t fight it. The light neared and with its reflection the face's showed. They were young and strong, but I didn't know them. I watched with pain in my eyes as their hands tried to release me from the object upon me. No hesitation came from them. There bodies were covered with soot, but they had heavy coats on and think gloves.
Relief came off my leg and my body was lifted from the ground. Two arms carried me, another took hold of my limped leg. The light was coming. Its flicker swayed off the walls as it trickled closer.
My neck hung as the light neared. Within moments it would engulf us. I closed my eyes and accepted its spirit.