the day my dad came home | Teen Ink

the day my dad came home

By aeden BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida
aeden BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida

how can we not talk about family when family is all that we got.

The day my dad came home.

Tomorrow is the day that my dad gets home from a weird outside place called Iran. I dont know why he was there other than he told me he was being a hero. I dont really know what that means, but the smile on my mum’s face when he said that showed that he really was a hero. So I went around cleaning, and making the house all nice for him. I even went and cleaned my 8 year old little brothers room, which by the way was a mess and a pain in the butt. He had toys all over the ground, and things shoved under his bed. I have never seen so many legos in my life. You have never experienced pain until you have stepped on a lego without shoes on. It's like tresten sits there in the middle of the night sharpening the tips of the legos and the strategically places them in his room. By the time my mum told me it was my bed time I had a banner over the door saying welcome home dad, A freshly cleaned house, and I even had my mom take me to get string to make him a new bracelet to carry with him. I layed in my bed staring at the dark ceiling, thinking about what is going to happen tomorrow. Dozing off into my deep slumber, the last thing I remember was him hugging me.
I then sprung awake with the sound of a car driving down our gravel road. I leaped out of bed, threw on the clothes i laid out last night and dashed down the stairs to the front door. Being only a split second late my dad opened the door quickly and happily. Then with a sudden motion I slammed into the door and fell to the ground. My eyes started to water bc of the hit to my nose. I glanced up only to see a dark fuzzy figure. He bends down and picks me up, hugs me like he has been gone for ever and said, “ dads home, and i got you and your brother something, it's in the back of my car, go get you brother and go look while I talk to your mom.” I sprinted to my brothers room and yanked open the door. “ Dad’s home, and he brought us something special, Come look with me!”  We ran out the front door straight to the car, flinging the door open to reveal our surprise. It was a box, not knowing what's in it we tried to shake it. Nothing moved in side.

We then heard a loud shriek coming from inside the house, I glanced at my brother and he glanced back. We then dashed towards the front door, stepping inside slowly not knowing what happened. we turned the corner to see my mom giving my dad the biggest hug I have ever seen. They see us and my mom said “ kids I have some good news and some bad news. Me your and I dad are going to take a trip.” getting excited I said “ I'm going to go pack our bags.” “That's the bad part, you and your brother can't go. while we are gone you are in charge of the house, making sure it's safe and taking care of your brother, can you do that?” a little disappointed I nodded my head and and asked what was in the box dad got us. “ Its a computer, so you guys can skype us while we are gone, plus you can play games on it.” Still not knowing how to feel, I grabbed the box and headed to my room. I open the box and pull the computer out and plug it in to the wall to charge. I then went to watching T.V.
After watching a couple episodes of mind numbing Spongebob my mom calls us to dinner. When I get to the table, on the plates were taco’s. The were so well prepared they looked just like the box. They tasted amazing too, but eating was a little awkward after they told us they were leaving to go on there trip when we were done eating. Everyone just keeped to their self and ate quietly. After a little bit we took our plates to the sink and rinsed them off.  Knowing what happens now, I just walked back to my room and turned back on the T.V.  A half hour goes by and i hear the front door close. I ran to see who it was only to get a glance of tail lights getting more distant down our driveway. I run to my parents room and open the door looking around, but now one is there. Calling their names I looked around the entire house. There was no one except my little brother. What am i supposed to do, they left without saying bye, or saying when they will be back, or even where they were going. I had my brother come out to the living room and we sat there watching T.V. I got 3 episodes in and my eyes when black.

I woke up to here a loud crash. I jumped to my feet and grabbed the first thing i saw. I grabbed the t.v. remote I looked at it for a solid 10 seconds and realized there was nothing i could do with it. So I quietly put it down and grabbed a cane from the front door and held it like a baseball bat. I then creped threw the house looking in every room. There was no one, not another sound or movement that I could tell. so i walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge to get a drink. when I closed it, it made a weird sound. almost like a hollow sound. I inspected the fridge opening it again and closing it. I checked the freezer, and the ice machine. nothing seemed to be changed. so i closed the door and started to look back at it when i realized that it was pulled away from the wall a little. revealing something shiny behind it. Not knowing what it was or what made the sound earlier I ran to the living room and woke my brother up off the couch. i told him to go lay down and go back to sleep in his room upstairs.
I then went back to the kitchen and tried to pull the fridge further way from the wall. but it wouldn't budge. I tried to get on the counter next to the fridge and push with my feet. I even tried to pry it away from the wall using a broomstick, but all that it did was bend it in half. So I got back down, grabbing the top of the fridge to lower me down. when I jumped down the fridge slid open a little bit. not knowing what I did, I got back on the counted and felt the side and top of the fridge where I touched getting down. looking at the top I found what looked like a little button. so I did what my body screamed not to. I pushed the button and the fridge started to slid away until it revealed I small metal door.
I have seen scary movies, and I know better then to open the door and go inside. Something bad always happen when you do. So I turned around and started to walk away. I got about 10 steps away from it and i turned and looked at it 1 more time before I leave for good. I guess the old saying curiosity killed the cat is true, because I walked right back to the door and grabbed the handle. slowly turning it until I hurt a sharp metallic sound. the sound of a lock unlocking. I slowly walk inside of the unknown room. Feeling the wall just inside the door for a light switch.
Finally finding one, I flipped the switch and the lights came on. it was a kinda long hallway with black walls and looks like a door at the end. as I walk closer to the end of the hallway I start getting the weird odor smell, and the closer I get to the end the stronger it gets. I reach the end of the hallway where the door stands. I slowly grab the doorknob and turn until I hear the distinct sound of a metal lock open. I slowly open the door to see what look like plastic hanging from the ceiling. I slowly move the plastic to see my mom in the middle of the table. I call her name Not knowing what to do. no response. so I slowly walk over to her and I noticed blood on her shirt. I softly gab my moms arm and call her name. the i shook her. still no response. I get a bad feeling in my stomach. and I walk away. feeling squeezing I puked all over the floor. tears come to my eyes as i run down the hall back threw the secret door in the kitchen.
I pick up the phone and press the numbers 911, waiting to press sent. Thinking of what I was going to say. Thinking of who could have done it. should I call my dad first and see what he wants me to do, or see if he is even still alive. Not knowing what to do I pressed send. it rings “hello?” I didnt respond, frozen with shock not knowing what to say. I then quickly hang up. Waiting.. Thinking of what to say. About thirty seconds later the phone rings. Getting nervous I pick up the phone. “hello? what's your emergency?” just saying the words “ I think my mom is dead” was enough to send me over the edge. I black out. Hitting my head on the counter on the way down. felt like hours went by till I opened my eyes again.
The first thing I see is a man standing over me. shaking me. Trying to wake me up. I jolted awake throwing a swing at him, not knowing who he was. I missed. and he said he was a cop and I was safe now. he helped me up onto a stretcher, and strapped me in. he said they were going to help me and make sure i was ok. but all I could do was ask how my brother was. “did you find him. Did you find my brother.” he said “ no, but we are still looking. and we will find him.” that day was the last day I got to see my brother there was nothing i could do to see him anymore.