The Briefcase | Teen Ink

The Briefcase

By Nicolette27 BRONZE, Farmingville, New York
Nicolette27 BRONZE, Farmingville, New York

Waking from a heavy daze her sight was foggy and it took her a moment to regain her senses. It was then when Sarah realized she was on a train. The train was completely dark, matching the outside night. The only source of light was a single blinking light from the ceiling that seemed as though it could go out at any moment. The last thing Sarah remembered was sitting in a dentist chair getting prepared for a root canal. Baffled, Sarah looked around and saw that the entire train car was empty. Or so she thought. As she frantically searched for her phone she noticed she was not dressed in her own clothes. She was wearing a dark denim jean jacket with light pants. She also noticed a cold metal handcuff tightly strapped around her wrist which was connected to a briefcase.

The only other person in the car was sitting in the opposite aisle two rows back almost hidden. Dressed in an all black suit topped with a black hat, was a man looking over at Sarah in a slightly interested and observant way. Not aware of the man’s presence, Sarah frantically continued looking around for any type of guidance. Her mind and body froze as she locked eyes with the man. A deep unsettling feeling formed in the pit of her stomach. A million thoughts were raising through her mind; all of which terrified her. They sat there with locked eyes for what Sarah thought to be an eternity. The pounding of her heart against her chest brought her terrified mind back to reality. But what rattled her the most was that the man in the suit developed a sinister smirk. Stumbling to a stance with the briefcase tightly gripped in her hand, Sarah bolted toward the train car door that lead to the next car. Unable to find her balance on the rapidly moving train she managed by using the tops of the seats to guide her to the door. She payed no mind to the flailing briefcase hitting every seat. She flung the door open and as she closed it behind her, she looked back at where the man in the suit was sitting. He was no longer there… She pressed her free hand on the glass. Amazed by the absence of the suited man, Sarah visually searched the car. But with every movement of her eyes her fear grew. Unable to locate him she quickly removed her now shaking hand from the glass and took a step backwards. It seemed to Sarah that the man vanished into thin air.

Deeply disturbed she quickly turned around and proceeded forward in the next car. Racing up the  dark aisle she noticed that like the previous car, she was alone.

Sarah thought to herself “What kind of train am I on that has no passengers?”.

Taking a deep breadth she sat down on one of the inner seats next to the window, trying to capture as much moonlight that she could. It was beginning to down pour and she began to hear the beginnings of a thunderstorm in the distance. She gathered her attention back into the car.  Slowly and gently she placed the briefcase on her lap all while peeking her head up. Reassured that she was alone she studied the briefcase. She struggled in the darkness but managed to see a four code number lock next to the handle. Pounding both fists on the face of the briefcase, fully aware it would do no good, she could not fight the frustration built up inside her. Just as she stopped pounding she heard a banging noise from inside one of the storage compartments.

Hesitantly she rose from her seat and slowly walked toward the closed compartment and placed her free hand on the handle. A crack of thunder struck the train, vibrating the handle. She nearly jumped out of her skin from the unexpected sound but she managed to gather her thoughts and control her pounding heart. Sarah figured if she was going to open the door she would have to do it quick, like ripping off a band aid. Swinging the door open, out of the compartment came a man and a burst of excitement. Disoriented and scared, the man launched himself out and latched both hands onto Sarah’s shoulders. He did this with such force he managed to push Sarah backwards and pin her up against the wall.

“Why am I here? Who are y—?”
Just before the man could finish his sentence Sarah found a good use for the briefcase attached to her.

Falling to the floor, the man laid unconscious in the middle of the dark aisle. Sarah, half terrified to death, moved to the farther end of the car to keep a safe distance while keeping an eye on him. While trying to make sense of all this she found herself watching the man’s chest slowly move up and down as his breathing stabilized. Strangely, Sarah was not threatened by the man’s presence even though he nearly attacked her. Her eyes trailed up to his face. Given they were in the dark, she studied his features. His handsome appearance caught Sarah off guard. She quickly looked away and tried to regain her thoughts and focus on the situation. But without realizing, her eyes fell back on him. She noticed the rising bump forming on his head from where she hit him. Sarah held the briefcase tightly against her chest as she sat next to the night storm. Shadows of the falling rain droplets cast on her face from the window, almost seeming as if she were crying. She began wondering if anyone, from back home, realized she was gone or how any of this could have happened. It was now down pouring and Sarah had no recollection of time. But it seemed as though the man had been unconscious for about twenty minutes. No longer frightened, Sarah moved up a few rows closer to the man and waited for him to wake up.

Finally the man slowly woke and brought his hand up to the swollen bump on his head. As his hand touched the bump, his eyes clenched shut in pain. Eager for answers, Sarah moved to the edge of her seat.

Impatiently and forcefully she asked the man “How did you get here?! “Why am I here?”.

Rubbing his now throbbing head, the man replied “Who are you?”.

“Sarah, my name is Sarah.” She quickly replied, trying to get back to asking her own questions.

But he asked another “Where are we?”.

The half dazed and confused facial expression plastered across the man’s face had matched Sarah’s when she first woke. It was at that moment Sarah realized that they were in this together. Where ever they were and whatever was in the briefcase, they were going to find out together.

She continued but this time trying to sound sincere “What is the last thing you remember?”.

Finally answering one of her questions, he said “Uh—the last thing…the last thing I remember was sitting in a—uh library late at night just before they were about to close and then I blacked out. I can’t remember anything after that, or how I got here.”.

The man started to get shaken up again and Sarah helped lean his back up against the wall and he continued.

“Someone must have stuffed me in that compartment” he tilted his head back to where Sarah had found him “god knows how long I’ve been in there. A banging noise woke me up, which must have been you.”

Listening intently and nodding her head, “Yes that was me.”.

She quickly looked back down at the briefcase and with slight frustration she said “I woke up and this briefcase was handcuffed to my wrist—”.

“—Do you know what is inside it, maybe whatever is inside it will help us”

Sarah replied back “There is a four digit number code on it, such I don't know.”.

The two of them sat there trying to figure out their next move.

“I’m sorry I hit your head, you startled me.”

He lowered his hand from his head and sat up. “Its alright, it doesn’t hurt that bad, my name is Will by the way.”

A slight smile came over Sarah’s face, she knew that Will was trying to act tough and was hiding his obvious pain.

As the two of them were sitting trying to figure things out, they failed to notice the man in the suit standing on the outside of the door glaring at them. Being so dark, he was again almost hidden from sight. Sarah was sitting facing the door, while Will’s back was towards it. The train car illuminated with a bright blueish light, which would soon be followed by yet another crack of thunder. As the car was lit, Sarah saw the suited man. The suited man was in perfect line of sight with Will’s head. Sarah seemed as though she were frozen in time as she locked eyes with him. The man seemed to be feeding off her terror as he developed that same sinister smirk. In the background Will said something to Sarah but she could not make sense of it because she was too preoccupied. With no response, Will repeated himself but this time looking up at her taking note of her body language.

Thinking she was looking at him, he said “All I said was that we should probably find some sort of screw driver to op—Sarah? Are you alright?”.

He was now slightly uncomfortable by her appearance and he was not afraid to show it.

“What are you looking at? We don’t have to, it was just a suggestion. I’m trying to hel—.”

Confused, Will quickly snapped his head around to see what could possibly be behind him that was so interesting. Just as Will’s eyes made it to the train car window the car switched back to dark, as though someone had flicked off a light switch, but not before Will caught sight of the suited man. The train car rattled with thunder and Will frantically stood to his feet while turning his body. The suited man stood there now smirking at Will. Will did not take this as lightly as Sarah did the first time she saw the man. Pacing toward the train car door, pounding his feet down with every step, he clenched his fists at his sides. Sarah sat frozen, unable to move watching Will, her only companion storm off. As Will neared, the suited man stood still and in a matter of seconds Will reached the door and flung it open.

Will through himself at the man, gripping his suit at the collar, to show his seriousness. Almost touching the man’s face with his own, he began forcefully questioning him.

“Why are we here!? If you know something, you better speak up now!?”

Still smirking the suited man replied as if everything were a game, “To decide”.

Receiving a two word response did not sit well with Will and neither did his smirk. Without hesitation Will swung his closed fist at the man, whipping the man’s facial expression right off his face with a single blow to the jaw; nearly knocking him off his feet. The man was now weakened but still found the strength to laugh at Will’s determination. The only thing holding the man up from falling was his collar which Will was holding tightly.

Will screamed out “To decide what!?”.

Blood began to trickle down the man’s mouth, for he did not have a smile from this point forward. Will could not tell if the man refused to answer because of the single blow or because of his unwillingness. Forced to give in the suited man complied. It was the next eight words that Will heard that would make his pulse be felt all throughout his entire body.

Slowly raising his trembling face closer to Will’s, the suited man gazed into Will’s eyes and spoke as if to be repeating himself.

“To decide which one of you will die.”

The suited man’s eyes were then filled with great emptiness and obscurity. It seemed as though, for a second, Will was engulfed in it while processing his words. Snapping back to the reality of the mans final words, Will lost his strong grip of the collar letting the suited man slowly sank to the floor. He man slipped a small, white folded piece of paper into Will’s hand. The man then passed out. Will carefully unfolded the note. Inside the note was a four digit code. Almost as if time were slowed, Will turned back to look at Sarah, who was no longer sitting frozen but now shyly standing in the doorway of the two cars still clutching the briefcase. She looked at Will as if she were scared of him…scared of his strengths.

Leaving the man on the floor, Will walked back to Sarah. He took her free hand and guided her away from the the scene and into the next car. Sarah followed his lead while turning her head back to get a final glimpse of the suited man. They were now in the next car, both in complete darkness as well as silence. Sarah sat looking at Will as he looked at the briefcase. Sarah broke the silence while waiting for Will to speak.

“What did he say to you?” she asked, almost scared to know the answer.

“He handed me this note with a number code, it must go to the briefcase.”

She asked again “Did he say why we were here?”.

Obvious that he, now twice, avoided her question he held his hands out for Sarah to release her hold of the briefcase. But as he did this she pulled back, gripping it even harder. As if not to give up so easily.

“Will tell me what he said to you! I have a right to know!” she said.

Will broke his gaze on the briefcase and slowly looked up at Sarah. He took a deep breath and tried to speak. It was obvious that he was having trouble getting the words out. Sarah placed her free hand on the top of his knee, reassuring him of her gentle presence. With her kindness and patience he went on.

“He told me we were here to… to decide.”

“To decide what?” she asked crunching her eyebrows together.

Still gazing deeply into Sarah’s eyes, he replied “Which one of us will die.”.

Their visual bond broke when Sarah blinked in sharp disbelief. Jerking her head back, she quickly removed her hand from his knee and brought it back up to the briefcase. It was at that very moment the both of them knew that whatever was in the briefcase would force them to decide.

Not allowing herself to accept what Will said, she began rambling, “What?! Are you sure you heard him correctly? This—this can’t be… This doesn—how do you know he isn't lying?”.

Instead of reaching for the briefcase, he now reached for her hand. Holding her hand between his, again he looked at her. This time taking in her distinct beauty. Right in the middle of one of her questions she lowered her head and started to cry. Her tears were now in sync with the shadows of the rainy droplets from the window. It occurred to Will that he never saw her in a moment of relief but only in a moment of  panic; what a shame he thought.

Trying to reassure her, he took a deep breadth and said, “I don’t know where we are…I don’t know who put us here…I don’t know why this is happening.”. He gently brought his strong open hand up to her soft jaw, guiding her face to look at his. Just as their watery eyes locked, without words, they both felt they were mentally together with each other. He continued, “But there is one thing I do know…I know that I trust you. Do you trust me?”.

Sarah, for the first time, seemed to be calm and she wiped away her tears with her free hand and said “I trust you.”.

They both were aware that before they could move forward in their journey, they would have to trust each other. They knew nothing beyond the train, the car or the briefcase; but only that whatever lies inside it will help them move forward. With their unspoken agreement, Will unfolded the note and read off the numbers to Sarah. She was ready with her shaking fingertips resting on the dials. 

Will began slowly reading off the numbers “…5…7…9…2”.

Sarah anxiously finished turning the dials and just as she did the briefcase popped open ever so slightly. Neither one of them said anything. They only sat there staring at it; both heisting to pry it open with every once of their built up frustration and curiosity. The only thing stopping them was each other. But both reassuring the other, they made eye contact both remembering their unspoken agreement. They both gripped the top of briefcase and flipped it open.

Frightened by their worse nightmare, Sarah looked up at Will for that sweet sense of comfort and guidance he once provided her with. But for Sarah, and Will himself, he seemed for the first time to be lost in thought; lost in the surreal experience he was thrown into. He could not comfort Sarah in this moment because he could barely mentally comfort himself. Even if he did speak he wasn’t sure his words would even make a difference. All they could think about was the silver gun, which laid perfectly in it’s holder, staring up at them. Will couldn’t bring himself to look at Sarah because he didn't want to see her in such panic. They both ran through all the ways this could possibly end; but Will was the only one who knew exactly how it would end. Disoriented in thought he stood to his feet.

Looking down at her he said, “Give me the gun.”.

She didn't say a word nor did she obey to his command, she sat froze again.

He continued, “Sarah give me the gun!—” this time raising his voice.

“—And what do you plan to do with it!?” she snapped back.

“I plan on getting one of us out of here.”

Will unhooked a strap which covered the gun, freeing it from the briefcase.

“Will what are yo—please don’t.” she screamed, trying to stop him as he removed the safety.

As he did this he located Sarah’s eyes in the dark and asked, “You said you trusted me, does that still stand?”

Also standing to her feet, she replied “Yes I still trust you.”.

Without saying another word, Will turned the gun on himself and pulled the trigger. The train car lit up with light, this time followed by the deathly sound of a bullet shot. Completely disorientated she fell back into her seat. She could not see anything but the bright white light, nor could she hear anything except a high pitched ringing sound radiating through her ears.

But in the distance she began to hear, “Sarah wake up…there you go, sit up slow.”

Waking from a heavy daze her sight was foggy and it took her a moment to regain her senses. Half blinded by the bright light hanging above her her head she noticed a cold saliva ejector tangled around her wrist. A man, dressed in light blue scrubs was sliding her chair upright.

Removing his face mask he said, “Sarah, your root canal went well. Don’t eat for three hours and take it easy.” peeling off his gloves, he continued with a smile “You might have a couple strange recollections that you think are real but this is only a side effect of the anesthesia, don’t worry. Well I’m off to my next patient…another root canal.”

The man’s smile gave her a strange feeling and she leaned over her chair to get a final glimpse of the man. As he left the room he picked up a briefcase from the floor and turned the corner.

KHolden said...
on May. 26 2015 at 1:45 am
This is unlike anything I've ever read. Raw, unique and different. Incredibly clever. It was most certainly a thriller. Job well done.

Thrillxo said...
on May. 26 2015 at 1:36 am
This is so awesome! Loved it. Very talented writer..