Insanity's Calling | Teen Ink

Insanity's Calling

By AshtenM BRONZE, Godfrey, Illinois
AshtenM BRONZE, Godfrey, Illinois

"Even Hell can feel like home after a while" (Unknown).

Her bleary, hazel eyes opened sluggishly.  Even in her disheveled state, the man saw her as nothing less than beautiful.  Her breath quickened and she began pulling at her binds frantically.  “Careful uccellino,” the man fussed.  “The cuffs are lined but they can still bruise.”  “Who are you?” the woman whimpered.  His face fell.  “You don’t remember me?” he asked hurt.  She stopped her panicked searching to focus on his face momentarily.  “B-benny?” she stuttered, recalling her brief conversation with the young Italian at the club two days prior.  Benny’s face brightened.  “Why am I here?” the woman whispered.  “So we can be together, uccellino,” Benny smiled enthusiastically.  “C-can’t we do that outside?” she stammered.  He seemed to consider the idea before shaking his head.  “No, no, it’s much too dangerous out there,” he explained.  She attempted to swallow the lump in her throat.  “Can you u-untie me?” she asked timidly.  He walked toward her and ran his fingers through the knots in her hair.  She shuddered.  “My dear Cassandra, you will only run away if I do that,” he sighed sadly.  “But no matter,” his voiced brightened, “you will love me soon enough.  Now, stay put while I make dinner.”  With one last cheshire grin, he strode up the stairs, closing the door behind him.
     Cassy examined the room around her.  Fluorescent lighting lit the small room, bouncing off the cement walls and illuminating a small, metal chair in the corner.  The room was windowless, leaving the only exit the door at the top of the stairs.  She found it was becoming increasingly difficult to breath.  Air scraped down her windpipe in shallow, agonizing breaths, and she was beginning to feel lightheaded.  She pulled again at the cuffs, letting out a sob.  Why her?  She was nothing special, just a waitress trying to make her way through college.  Giving up on her binds for the moment, Cassy slumped against the chair she was cuffed to.  She heard the door open and her head snapped up, all evidence of her former hysteria disappearing. 
    Benny sauntered down the steps, and moved the chair in the corner so it sat facing her just a foot away.  He set a small bag beside it, and sat down.  “I made you soup, uccellino,” he smiled, showing her the bowl of steaming liquid excitedly.  He held a spoon full near her face, clearly wanting her to open her mouth, but Cassy kept her lips pursed shut.  “You have to eat,” he sighed, moving the soup closer, but Cassy turned her head.  “If I uncuff one of your hands and let you feed yourself, will you eat?” he asked quietly.  Seeing a chance at escape, Cassy gave a curt nod, hope bubbling in her chest.  “Do you promise to be good?” Benny hesitated, and she nodded.  He made his way behind her and unlocked the cuff restraining her right arm.  He placed the hot bowl of soup in her lap and watched her expectantly.  Cassy hesitantly brought the spoon to her lips.  The scalding liquid burned her tongue, but she didn’t dare stop eating, not until she had formulated an escape.  Benny reached into the bag at his side and pulled out a brush.  Moving behind Cassy, he began brushing the knots from her hair methodically.  She froze, unpleasant tremors traveling up her spine.  She jumped into action, and attempted to jab her spoon into Benny’s right eye socket.  A fist connected with her cheek as she missed, the force of the blow throwing her to the floor, and her still-cuffed left arm was pulled into an uncomfortable angle by the chair.  “Why did you make me hurt you?” Benny bellowed, landing a kick to her stomach.  Everything was still for a moment.  Benny kneeled down beside her and caressed her cheek.  “I don’t like hurting you, uccellino,” he whispered.  He scooped her up and gently placed her back in the chair, relocking her cuffs.  He ran his hand down Cassy’s arm before leaving, causing her to flinch.  Hot tears ran down her face, mixing with the blood seeping from her nose and a cut on her cheek.  At the realization she was never getting out of there, her sorrow poured from her mouth loudly, echoing off the walls around her.  Her captor listened to her tortured wails from above as he slowly wiped her blood from his hand.  She would learn to love him, he was certain.