Spy 'Till I Die | Teen Ink

Spy 'Till I Die

April 15, 2015
By Anonymous

My name is Ethel Rosenberg. This is the story of how I was unlawfully put to death. However, there were many events prominent to my death. Let us start at the beginning. My husband’s name is Julius Rosenburg. He was enlisted in the Army Signal Corps in 1940, where he was soon to be kicked out because of his history as a communist. We lived in the wondrous city, where dreams are made of, New York. In 1951, we were flabbergasted when the authorities showed up at our home to take us to jail. As you can imagine, I had no idea what we were being taken for. Then, they said one word that changed my life forever: espionage. My husband and I were being convicted of spying and passing information about atomic bombs to the Soviet Union. We spent many long nights in prison while the trial was going on. My husband’s brother was the one that was convicting us. I didn’t know how my life went from normal to gone in such a diminutive period of time. The long nights in jail were problematic, but the days were worse. I would sit in my cell, along the long row of cells filled with inmates. When we were allowed to go outside, but all we could see for miles was the tall, dim wall, or barbed wire. The barriers kept us in like pigs in a pen. I knew what was going on outside of those walls. The gloomy sky indicated death and revulsion, not only between countries, but in our own country as well. I saw the hatred flowing through the air. I have never been a person that likes hatred. When the United States and other United Nations began the fight with North Korea in 1950, I was devastated. I wanted all of the fighting to end. The war was over, and we all wanted to move on. However, now I know what hatred really is and what fueled the war for so many years. My hatred started the day of the trial, when my husband’s own brother was testifying against me and Julius. I have never been so hurt before. While I had the time to think, I started to suspect that my husband was guilty, but I didn’t know how I was being connected to the crime. Then I saw Sobell and the document that “I wrote” in court. That was the first time I truly felt hatred. He was framing me and didn’t care that I was going to die to save his own life. Sobell is a selfish man that will get what will come to him. I remember a dinner that we had with Sobell, just before we were accused. We discussed Joseph McCarthy and the phrase “McCarthyism”. My husband was very quiet during this discussion. McCarthy was accusing everyone, guilty or not, of allying with the Communists. I had heard of people being set to death at Sing Sing Prison in Ossining, but I never believed it could be me. My husband always dressed well. It was one of his features that attracted me to him. Whilst in trial, he was accused of wearing a tie while on the military base that had a small camera imbedded into the back of it. I had a hard time believing this, considering I did his laundry. However, the pictures they used as evidence against us showed a red and blue striped tie. Isn’t that ironic, the colors of freedom. I remembered this tie. I don’t know how I washed it endless times without realizing. The spy gear my husband used was unrealistic. During the trial, my husband never confessed to being a spy, but the evidence was inevitable. I wondered why the president, Harry S. Truman, was being a coward. I pondered on how he could let us sit in jail and be wrongfully accused. He was preoccupied with the war, but we were humans too. Containment was a proposed idea to solve all of these issues, but is not succeeding so far. The idea of containment was proposed in July, during the year of 1947. This was just after Truman was inducted into office. The notion had a lot of potential, but slowly declined when McCarthy started accusing everyone. Anyways, my husband Julius had always been a secretive man. I loved Julius, and was enthusiastic to do anything for him. When I saw the documents and dates in court, I knew why we were there. Julius was a spy, and I now knew that. All of the late nights, and strange behavior finally made sense. I didn’t know how I missed it for so many years. I knew my spouse was a former communist, but I didn’t think he was capable of espionage. Julius was involved with a man named Nikita Khrushchev. Nikita was a Russian politician who led the Soviet Union during the cold war. I am still unsure about how my husband got involved in this scheme. I wish he would have told me so I could have protected myself. After the 1945 atomic bombing of Japan, I wanted to move away. I wanted to go far away from any country involved in war. Julius wanted to stay and help. When the military turned him away, he blocked me out and started with the suspicious behavior. Due to the documents that Sobell and his wife forged, Julius and I were convicted of espionage and relations to the Soviet Union. The date of conviction was March 29, 1951. We were condemned to death by electric chair. There was no taking back my years of love for Julius. I knew in my heart that I should have left him when he was turned away from the military. However, love is a powerful force. It controls you, and takes over your mind. Love can make a person do anything. I was in love with Julius and still was the day of my death. I didn’t blame anyone except for my own self for my death. I knew who I was getting involved with when I married Julius. I spent my last few days conjecturing the ways of life and death. I wondered how many people were convicted unjustly such as I was. When the day of the execution came around, I wasn’t afraid. The walk to the room was the longest ten minutes of my life. I felt everything; the slight breeze from the open door blew across my face ever so gently. I accepted my fate, but still knew I had more living to do. The hatred for Sobell, and McCarthy, and Truman faded away slowly. They brought me into an obscure, suffocating, silent room. I saw my husband one last time. He looked at me with such a gaze, that I knew I didn’t regret my love for him. I decided I wanted to go first. They say me in the chair of departure. I stared at the wall and waited for it to be over, so I could finally move on from this world and onto the next. I was ready to leave behind all of the fighting, the war, the hate, the crimes, the inhumanity, the love of individualism, and the hate of being alone. I was ready. A tall, shadowy man strapped me down and I waited. The shock didn’t last long. I felt a sharp sting, and then I was finally gone. Now that I am on the other side, I know the truth. My husband, Julius Rosenberg, was a spy during the Cold War. He worked with Nikita Khrushchev to relay information about the United States military and weaponry. I don’t regret my short life with Julius, but I regret not standing up for the others who were wrongfully convicted during the horrid era of McCarthyism.