The Secret Person | Teen Ink

The Secret Person

By _Poetic_Siren_ BRONZE, Asheville, North Carolina
_Poetic_Siren_ BRONZE, Asheville, North Carolina

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like nobody is listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth"
-William W. Purkey

“Your Mother lied to you.” The words of my Father told me would forever haunt my memory. His words ran through my head like a broken record. Runaway words that I could never contain, I could only halt for a given amount of time.
My office phone ran bringing me out of my memories. “Hello?” I spoke into the phone. “Hello, Ms.Plemmings.” my secretary said “we have a patient if you are ready.” She informed me. “Send her in.” I said. “Yes ma’am.”  She replied. I put the phone back in the receiver. Today was a busy day, I am a young psychoanalyst, my name is Iris Plemmings and I live in the bustling city on New York. My life was mainly work until a holiday came around; the holidays to me meant good food and sleep. Having a job like mine wasn’t easy; dealing with people that have mental problems was tiring work and being top of the line made it even worse. I just hope this patient was not going to hard to handle.
Just then a girl about seven-teen walked in through my office doors. She looked really happy and it looked like this case would be wrapped up in time for lunch. “Please come and sit down.” I offered, smiling. She made her way over to the big leather chairs and plopped down. She was really skinny and it looked like he chair was consuming her. “What is your name?” I asked politely. “Lydia, Lydia Walters.” She spoke quietly. “What a pretty name.” I said. “Thank you….” She looked down at my name plate “Ms.Plemmings.” she said finishing her sentence. “So, what seems to be the problem?” I ask. “I-I have a double identity.” She said awkwardly. “It is like I am a different person sometimes.”  She informed me. None of this was new to me; of course I saw cases like this every day. A double identity is a mental disorder that controls a person’s behavior; no one knows why this disorder occurs. One thing I know that helps is believing in the person you want to be, and concentrating. Meditation is also something that works, anything that relieves stress.
“How long has this been occurring?” I ask. “As long as I can remember.” She spoke softly. I jotted down some notes and closed my journal in one quick motion. She jolted at the noise. “My secretary will inform you when our next meeting is.” I informed her. “Yes ma’am” she said and scurried out the door.  As soon as the door clicked shut I sighed, work was really brining me down. I grabbed my coat and headed out the door, to the elevator.
I made my way out into the busy street and hailed a cab. I quickly got in, as soon as I sat down the cab started to speed away. I got to thinking I really need a vacation, but where? Just somewhere to getaway for one weekend... “Excuse me miss, is this your stop?” The cab driver questioned. “Oh…Yes. How much do I owe you?” I asked. “Twenty dollars and fifty cents.” He said. “What, it was only a few blocks. Okay, fine.” I handed it to him, but I didn’t care to tip. I hopped out of the cab. I walked inside of the lobby, as soon as I stepped inside the lobby; the woman from 3B was standing and waiting for the elevator. She had it in for me the day I moved in; she wanted the penthouse I live in now. But she could not afford it at the time so the window of opportunity opened up for me and I gladly took it. I walked over to my private elevator and clicked the button; just as the doors opened she spoke up “Iris.” She said rolling her eyes, trying her best to annoy me. “Oh, hello there Elizabeth.” I put on the best fake smile I could do. She stormed off into her elevator in a huffing fit. I stepped into mine and closed the gate, to reopen it to my lovely apartment.
As soon as I stepped into my apartment I had the perfect idea for my getaway! “The Hamptons!” I said aloud frightening my small puppy, she scampered to me and I picked her up petting her as I plopped down on the couch. I quickly typed in the number to my office. The phone rang three times before my secretary, Cecelia answered. “Sorry Mrs.Plemmings” she said in a small voice. “It’s alright Cecelia; I just wanted to tell you to schedule some time off on Monday.” I told her. “Okay…” she said hesitantly. “Am I going to lose my job?!” She blurted. I laughed softly “Of course not! You are a wonderful secretary!” I told her. “Whew…” a sudden wave of relief washed over her. “See you Tuesday.” I said joyfully. “Bye, Mrs.Plem-“I hung up. I yawned “What a day.” I said to the air, but the air never responds. Being rich is not as fun as it sounds.
“BEEP, BEEP!” The alarm woke me up, but today I was excited for. I got up and got ready for today’s car trip to the Hamptons, I planned the trip late last night. Finally, the trip I have been waiting for!
I walk through the dimly lit parking garage with a suitcase in tow. I really hope that this car works. I haven’t used it since last Christmas. Something in the corner of my eye invades my thoughts, I stop and look in the direction of the shadow, and I see a figure move quickly and quietly up the stairwell. I let go of the harsh grip on my suitcase and run towards the stairwell, out of breath I look up to see who it was and I catch a glimpse of Elizabeth’s auburn hair before the door closes. “I could have caught her!” I scold myself. I wonder what she was doing down here… I shouldn’t let her ruin my nice time off. I walk back to where I had abandoned my suitcase. I gripped it and continued walking to my car. I clicked a button on my key fob and the car instantly responded with a beeping noise. I opened the trunk door and put my suitcase in and close the trunk. Then I opened the driver door and got in. Turned the key and the car started. I pulled out of the parking garage, and then I noticed the brakes weren’t working! I was about to roll into traffic! I closed my eyes waiting for the force of the impact. The car slammed into something, and then everything went black.
  My eyes slowly fluttered open, the room I was in was cold and sterile. I must be in the hospital. I heard the sound of the surgeon’s footsteps. The door opened “Oh, you’re up Ms. Plemmings.” He smiled “My name is Dr.Smith.” “Hello Dr.Smith.” I said “You were recently in a car crash, the autopsy is still going on and you were hurt pretty bad so…” he walked over to the counter and picked up a mirror. “ We had to do some facial reconstruction.” He informed me. “You what?!” I yelled helplessly. He held up the mirror, my face was completely different, it was pretty but it wasn’t me. Tears streamed down my face. “You can leave whenever you are ready.” He informed me. I was so frustrated I couldn’t even answer him. I needed to avenge, myself.
I pushed open the hospital doors with all my force. I walked out to the street and hailed a cab. I got in and told him the address, he started driving to my apartment.
I step into my apartment with a new found authority. The phone rings and I walk over to pick it up. “Oh, hi Mrs. Plemmings!” I recognize the sound of my secretary’s voice. “I heard you are recovering well.” She said, I remained silent and kept listening. “Anyway… I was calling to tell you I scheduled you some work tomorrow since the doctor said you were recovering well enough you to come to work.” She informed me. Did she really think I needed MORE money than I already have? I hung up and carelessly dropped the phone back onto the receiver. Too bad she scheduled me some work, I’m never going back. Now, my life was going to be much easier now that I don’t have to deal with people that need my help all day. The more I think about it the more I think I’m turning into one of the people that I had to deal with. I laugh at my own thoughts. But maybe, I really was.
I walk into my bedroom and pull out the storage box from my closet. I grab my mask, the one I have been saving. This was the start of something new. I quickly put on my mask. The new me is here now. My father was right; my mother did lie to me. She always said I was perfectly normal, but I’m not. I was the one with the double Identity all along, living perfectly until my inner me is unleashed. The start of something new starts now and there is no way to ever go back. Now I’m just running, running until I think I have finally found a place to lay my head. No regrets, no way to look into the future and this is what I love, living without direction.

A certain kind of element of surprize, everyone likes the unexpected.

Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like nobody is listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth"
-William W. Purkey

Thank you for all the views and likes! I appreciate when people look at my work, it would be great to have some comments, have any questions comments or concerns. Tell me I would love to hear from you!