A Tale of Two Secrets | Teen Ink

A Tale of Two Secrets

By Brianna03 BRONZE, Hampton Falls, New Hampshire
Brianna03 BRONZE, Hampton Falls, New Hampshire

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's learning to dance in the rain."

“Yes!” I thought to myself as I ripped open the mail, “Another letter from dad!” I was so excited to see him tomorrow. My dad lives only about an hour and a half away from my mom and and I, but to me, it feels as if he’s on the other side of the world. I don’t really know why my parents separated, but it’s clear my mom doesn't want to talk about it. My mom always told me not to get too close with him, because I guess she thought that he was a “bad guy,” and that I’m very lucky to have her to protect me. I personally didn’t think my dad is a bad person, as we are actually very close. All I know is that my mom and dad are not friends. I am allowed to choose only one weekend a month to visit him on the “other side” of Florida, and tomorrow we get our two days alone.

“Hey So-June! How was school?” Mom asked me the minute I stepped in the front door. She always asks about my day, even though I’m sixteen.
“Good.” I replied.
“Oh ok. Well get going on your homework.”
“Ok!” I said with a smile. “I’m so excited to see dad tomorrow! Aren't you?”
Her face fell from a smile to a frown.
“Uhh..yeah, yeah of course.”

I walked up the freshly polished wooden stairs while gazing up at the enormous ornate chandelier that danced light and images off the walls. I had always been grateful for everything in my life, and knew we were considered a wealthy family. And my mom, well, I loved her dearly. She was always there for me, to support me, and to dry my tears. We had always been pretty close. I felt like she always told me everything, but nothing about my father.

************************************

3:59. No sign of dad. 4:00. I catch a glimpse of his muddy red 1959 Chevy pick-up rolling down our cobblestone driveway. I bolt downstairs, two steps at a time.
“Hi dad!” I attacked him with a bear hug.
“Hey Pumpkin!” He said squeezing me back.
“Hop in the truck sweetie. Let me just talk to your mom first.”
“Okay.” I replied. I wondered why he wanted to talk to her. Maybe they are thinking of getting back together or something. I was so excited: Two and a half days all to myself with my dad, I could hardly wait.
“Hey So-June.” He said as he climbed into his truck. “How’s everything been with you and mom?”
“Good, but I missed you.”
“I know, me too.”
We sat in silence for a solid ten minutes, and then talked as if we’ve never been apart.

**********************************
(At The Restaurant)

“So?” I asked him after we ordered.
“I think you deserve to know the truth.”
What does he mean, the truth? “What do you mean?”
“Well, you know how your mom’s always said that I am the bad guy? And that she is always is so protective of you?”
“Umm yeah. But that’ not true! I love you so much! I mean, I don't even know why you divorced.”
“I’m sorry, it was my fault.”
“What?!” I practically yelled. I was so upset. My brain felt like it was caving in and the world was ending. I was furious, and upset at the same time.
“This is going to be hard for you, but the reason I left, was because I am an undercover Russian spy working for the United States CIA. I love your mother dearly, but did not want her to get hurt. I need you to promise to keep this a secret, because I need your help solving my next assignment.”
“Why should I believe you?” Tears poured from my cheeks. I didn’t understand. It makes no sense, but why did he keep this from me all these years?
“If you don't believe me, that’s okay. I know it’s a lot for you to handle.”
I thought for a while.I had always known something was up, but this never occurred to me.
“No, I believe you, dad.”

****************************
(So-June At Home)

“Hey sweetie, how was dad’s?”
I didn’t look at her. I didn’t want to talk.
How can a daughter of two spies keep secrets from both parents?On my way up the stairs, I took a second look at the Korean wall art of my mother’s.