Clueless | Teen Ink

Clueless

By Kylie7 BRONZE, Lee's Summit, Missouri
Kylie7 BRONZE, Lee's Summit, Missouri

Clueless

Caden Jones is your typical teenage boy. He is a senior at Adkins West High School and plays football for the AWHS Aztecs. AWHS is a small town school in the midwest.
“Hey Cade, what are you doing tonight?” asked Mia Frit, Cade’s girlfriend. They have been dating since the end of their sophomore year but they’ve known each other since 2nd grade.
“Well don’t you look as cute as a button. Hopefully I get to hang out with you. You want to grab some dinner later?” Cade replied.
“Sure pick me up at 7.” exclaimed Mia while she strolled to her silver Ford Fusion, got in and drove away.

Later that night Cade went to pick up Mia and they drove down to the plaza. After they ate, they wandered around and chatted for the next hour. Cade and Mia have gone out for dinner 3 days this week.
“Hey Mia, do you remember that dated banged up blue car with the random silver door that we saw at Outback last night?” inquired Cade.
“Oh my gosh yes. Is that the same car? That’s a coincident.” They continued walking and talking for the next half hour, then Cade drove her home. They said their goodbyes and then Cade started to drive to his own house. On his way down Mia’s street he saw a dark car with a silver door. He couldn’t tell the color, but from what he could see from the street light, it was blue. At the time he thought nothing of it but about ten minutes into the drive, it dawned on him that that was the same car they had been spotting lately. Cade didn’t want to worry Mia, but just in case he called her. The phone rang until it reached her voicemail. Cade swung his car around and started towards Mia’s house. Halfway there his phone rang.
“Hey Cade, what did you need?” asked Mia.
“Umm… I just wanted to say I love you, goodnight, and I hope you sleep well!” exclaimed Cade.
“Okay… Well I hope you sleep as good as me! Goodnight, and I love you!” replied Mia.

Months flew by and they hadn’t seen the blue car in quite some time. That is until one Friday night when they were going to eat at Red Lobster.
“Cade look its that car in the back of the parking lot.” said Mia. Cade soon became panicked but he tried to cover it up for Mia’s sake.
“Wow that’s weird isn’t it?” asked Cade
“Yes that car has been in my neighborhood lately. I think they are moving into the house down and across the street from mine. Maybe we can meet them. They seem to like a lot of the things we do!” exclaimed Mia.
“Yeah… Maybe so.” Cade responded warily.

The next week, Mia talked Cade into walking down the street and giving a housewarming gift to the new neighbors. When they got there, the house was not speaking. It was quiet, the curtains were drawn, and no lights were on. That is except the blinking porch light. The house was as quiet as a mouse.
Mia rang the doorbell and a grungy looking man answered less than seconds later. Cade felt as if he had been watching them and knew they were coming.
“Hey kids, my names Tuck Soddle. What can I do for you today?” the man said.
“Hey i’m Mia and this is Cade. We saw you moved in and wanted to say hello.” replied Mia.
“Well that’s just so sweet isn’t it now.” claimed Tuck. Cade peered into Tuck’s house and was shocked to see nothing but an old worn out recliner by the window facing Mia’s house.
“Well thank you for letting us welcome you. We will just be on our way now. We’ll see you around!” said Mia
“I sure hope so.” said Tuck, “ and thank you for the gift. Have a good day.”
They walked back home and Cade was more worried than ever. Mia on the other hand didn’t have a doubt in her mind that Tuck was her nice new neighbor.

Three days later Cade stopped by Mia’s house to see if she wanted to hangout. He walked up and knocked on the door.
“Hey Cade, Mia’s not here right now.” said Mia’s mom.
“May I ask where she is?” asked Cade.
“She’s down the street at our new neighbor’s house. He’s a nice young man. Mia said they have a lot in common and the have been talking about all of their similar interests. Is everything alright dear?” Mrs. Frit asked Cade. Cade held a shocked look on his face.
“Oh… Everything is fine… i’m going to just go now. It was nice seeing you Mrs. Frit.” Mrs. Frit closed the door with a little confusion. Cade drove down the street to Tuck’s house and knocked on his door. This time it took him quite a while to reach the door.
“Well if it isn’t the little boyfriend. What is it, Caleb? Connor?” asked Tuck.
“My names Cade. Is my girlfriend here or what?” said Cade. Just then Mia walks around the corner and asks Cade what he’s doing.
“I went to your house and your mom said you were here. I was wondering if you wanted to go grab dinner.” stated Cade.
“Well I was just about to head home. I’ll call my mom and let her know I won’t be in for dinner. Thank you Tuck for hanging out with me this week. I’ll see you tomorrow?” asked Mia.
“You can bet on it” replied Tuck.
Cade and Mia walked to Cade’s car and drove to the shopping center which held
many restaurants.
“Since when have you and Tuck been hanging out?” asked Cade.
“Ever since we went over to his house to give him a housewarming gift. Why are you wondering?” said Mia.
“Well it just surprised me when your mom said that you were over there. I don’t really care for Tuck or the fact you have been hanging out with him.” exclaimed Cade.
“Excuse me? It’s not up to you who I hang out or become friends with. You don’t know anything about him. Unlike you, I have been getting to know him and he’s a really nice and interesting man.” argued Mia.
“Calm down and let me explain. I don’t think it is a coincident that we see his car everywhere we go. I think he’s been watching us. I don’t know why and I’ve been trying to not act worried when i’m around you. I don’t like the way this guy came about.” claimed Cade.
“Come on Cade that is crazy. Tuck is not a bad guy. You would know if you spend some time with him like I am. He is nice and genuinely cares about all the stuff we do. I know you are worried that I will spend more time with him then you but you shouldn’t because we are just friends with things in common.” said Mia.
“Mia, I am not jealous of Tuck. I love you and I am very concerned about this.” said Cade.
“Cade i’m very upset that you can’t accept me hanging out with who I want. I think you need to go home and clear your head tonight.” claimed Mia.
They drove home and said goodnight. Cade felt he didn’t need to think about it. He was almost positive Tuck was up to no good. Mia claimed Tuck was good, but Cade’s gut spoke differently.

The next day, Mia drove over to Cade’s house to see if he had come to his senses. She was angered and upset by her findings.
“I’m sorry Mia but I can’t let you hang out with Tuck. I love you too much to let you take the risk and I would never forgive myself if anything happened to you.” said Cade.
“I’m sorry too Cade. I’m sorry that you can’t accept my interests. I love you but if you love me then you would let me pursue things that I want to pursue.” replied Mia.
“Mia I am trying to protect you. I will not let you see him anymore.” said Cade.
“Well Cade that is not your decision to make. It angers me that you are being like this. I think we need to take a break from this relationship until you realize how ridiculous you are being.” argued Mia. Mia walked out the door leaving Cade with so many overlapping emotions.
Cade could not bear to think he might be losing the girl he loves. Cade decided he would have to make a choice. Either he agrees to let Mia see Tuck and saves his relationship or he risks losing Mia by trying to protect her. He decided to allow Mia to see Tuck. There was no point in trying to protect Mia if in the end he wouldn’t end up with her by his side.
The next morning he called Mia and told her his decision and apologized. Mia agreed to pick up their relationship where they left off.
Weeks passed by and Cade still noticed Tuck following them but he began to think nothing of it. He figured that if he was really after her, he would of done something by now. Cade decided to think of Tuck as a normal neighbor guy and forget about everything. Tuck and Mia began spending more time together.

One Friday Morning, Cade had to miss his first four hours of school to have his cavities filled at the dentist. Cade thought it would be pointless to go to school when his appointment ended because he would have already missed half the day. His mother thought otherwise, which meant Cade would be returning to school around fifth hour.
Meanwhile at AWHS, Mia was scanning books in the library like usual. Mia is the library assistant for third hour. Today the library was still like morning, accept for a few students here and there. The librarian, Mrs. Dun, approached Mia and asked if it would be alright if she ran home to see if the books she ordered arrived. Mia agree to watch over the library while Mrs. Dun ran home. The number of students coming kept becoming smaller and smaller until nobody was there. Mia was checking in books when the library doors opened. Tuck stepped in and walked up behind Mia.
“So this is how you spend your morning.” said Tuck in his raspy voice.
“Tuck? What are you doing here?” asked Mia anxiously.
“Well my daughter goes to school here and I was volunteering in her class. I thought I would stop by and get some books.” claimed Tuck.
“I didn’t know you had a daughter… I’ve never seen her at your house. What’s her name?” inquired Mia
“Her name is Dana. Her and her mother left me ten years ago today. She said I was too dangerous.” said Tuck. His voice started to grow loud and angry.”She had no right to do that.” Tuck claimed.
“I’m so sorry Tuck. But if your wife left you, why are you here with Dana.” asked Mia.
“She doesn’t know i’m her dad. Well she doesn’t know yet.” exclaimed Tuck. Mia was now worried and knew something wasn’t right.
“Tuck will you excuse me for a second. I need to go see if the new shipment of books came in.” said Mia cautiously. Mia walked into the library office and immediately grabbed the phone. She didn’t know who to call so she called Cade. It kept ringing and ringing. Mia had forgotten to push 9 before dialing the number to get out of the school. She had just started redialing the number when Tuck appeared in the doorway.
“What do you think you’re doing? Put the phone down now.” yelled Tuck. Mia was so startled she dropped the phone.
“Who were you calling?” inquired Tuck.
“I was calling Mrs. Dun to see where the shipment is at.” lied Mia.
“You’re not a good liar. Who were you calling!” Tuck now shouted.
“Cade! He didn’t answer so it doesn’t matter anyway.” Mia claimed.
“You shouldn’t of done that. In doing that you helped me come up with a plan to get my daughter.” said Tuck. Tuck reached into his sweatshirt and Mia automatically knew what he was reaching for. She let out a panicked scream. Tuck smack Mia’s books out of her hand.
“Be quiet now will ya? I’ll shoot you if I have to.” Mia began to cry as loud as her scream. Tuck had planned ahead and pulled out duct tape. He wrapped it around Mia’s mouth while he told her what she was to do.
Tuck explained to Mia that the plan was to make Tuck look like the hero. Tuck was going to shoot the gun at the ceiling three times so that the school would go into a hard lockdown. Mia was going to have to pretend to be the shooter. Tuck on the other hand would call 911, and pretend to be giving them secret information he’s picking up about Mia. In the end Tuck will stop Mia from shooting, and Dana will be so impressed with Tuck that none of the horrible stories that her brain holds will matter.
Mia doesn’t have a choice as to if she goes along with the plan. The gun pointed at her head says so. The time comes and Tuck fires three shots. Everybody in the small town school starts to scream, panic, and exit the building. Tuck tells Mia to walk into the hallway with her hands in her pocket like she’s armed. He tells her to make sure nobody else leaves the building. Mia walks into the hallway and yells to the kids to stop running out of the building or they will get shot. Then she locked both sets of doors to trap them as Tuck said to. Amanda then yelled at them not to move while she went into the library. She was more scared than ever to see what Tuck had in store for her next. She then walked back to the hallway and did as she was told.
“Give me your phones.” yelled Mia. The nine kids that were trapped in the school all did as they were told. They were scared to death and awed at the same time to see Mia like this. Mia took their phones into the library. Tuck told Mia to go out and scare the kids while Tuck called the cops. She did as she was told. Right as Tuck was dialing the number he heard the sirens approaching the school.
“Perfect timing.” Tuck said to himself. He finished dialing the number and he was answered right away.
“You’ve reached 911. What’s your emergency?” asked an officer on the other end of the line.
“My name’s Tuck Sodder and i’m currently in the building of the school shooting at AWHS. I have a good look at the room the shooter is in and the nine kids with her. If you put me on with the head chief out there I can be his inside eyes and explain what’s going on.” claimed Tuck. Tuck was connected with the chief outside the school. Tuck then explained that it was Mia Frit who possessed the gun. He said she was willing to shoot if anyone came in.
“She confiscated all of their phones, She’s keeping her gun in her sweatshirt pocket, and she’s just sitting there and staring at the kids.” said Tuck.

Meanwhile,Cade finished up his appointment and got in his car. He was listening to his favorite song when the station had a breaking news report. It explained how three shots were fired, they haven’t found anyone hurt, and there are nine kids trapped inside with the shooter. Cade immediately thinks of Mia and prays she’s alright as he speeds back to school grounds.When he gets there, he immediately runs up to the police man.
“Is Mia Frit one of the people left in the building?” asks Cade in a panicked tone..
“Yes she is.” replies the officer, “she’s the shooter.” Cade stops breathing for a minute and can’t believe what he is hearing. He knows Mia would never do anything like that. Cade starts to take a walk through the parked cars in the parking lot. He tries to think of every possibility. Just when he was about to break down and give up he spotted Tuck’s car, hidden under a low hangin tree. Cade immediately runs up to the cop and asks if there’s a Tuck Sodder in the building.
“He’s our hidden witness. He’s the one giving us all this information about Mia.” said the cop.
“No sir you don’t understand. Mia would never start a school shooting. She doesn’t even have a motive. Tuck’s car is the old navy blue one with the silver tree. It’s parked under that far off tree. That car has been following me and Mia around for months now and it’s not a coincident. He also moved into the house down the street from Mia!” argued Cade.
“Look kid,” said the police man, “ I know you want to believe the best about your girlfriend, but Tuck is our main witness and if he was holding them at gunpoint he wouldn’t be on the phone right now.” Cade walks away furious and he decides he has to go into the building himself, so he starts to look for a way in. 
The cop on the other hand, talked to the chief about Cade’s accusation. The chief decides to do a background check on Tuck.
“Wait, the boy said Tuck moved in down the street from Mia right?” asked the chief.
“Yes, why are you asking?” inquired the cop.
“Well it says here he lives in the Oaktree Apartment Complex on the other end of town. Find the boy. He might be onto something.” said the chief. The cop looked for Cade but couldn’t find him anywhere. He got the gut feeling that Cade went inside.

Meanwhile inside the school, Cade walked sneakily down the hall. He remembered hearing on the radio that the shots were fired in the library. He decided to enter through the back of the library.
Through the window of the librarians office, he could see Tuck sitting with his phone in one hand, and a gun in the other. Cade needed a weapon. The best thing he could find was the miniature rock statue of Mark Twain’s head, that sits on the shelf of Mark Twain books. He grabbed the rock and slowly crept towards the office. He made it all the way to the doorway and pressed against the wall right beside it. Tuck could hear what sounded like footsteps. He walked toward the office door, expecting to see Mia returning for her next task.
As soon as Tuck passed through the doorway he was struck on the head with the rock. He yelled and his gun fell on the floor. Cade looked around frantically, trying to find a new weapon. The gun was still way closer to Tuck. Just in time, Cade spotted a pepper spray keychain attached to Mia’s keys that she left on the checkout counter. He sprinted to the spray, and got there just in time.
Out in the hallway, Mia quietly told everyone the truth about what was going on.She proved that she didn’t have a gun and everyone agreed to pretend they thought Mia was the shooter just in case. Mia decided to go see what mess Tuck had stirred up for Mia to pay for now.
Cade had the spray in hand when he heard Tuck pick up the gun. Tuck slowly walked closer.
“The little boyfriend swoops in again I see,” started Tuck, “but this is the last time that will ever happen, if you know what I mean.” By now, Tuck was standing about four feet from Cade when Mia burst through the doors.
“Cade?” she yelled. Tuck turned his head to see Mia. When he turned back he got two eyes full of pepper spray. He fell to the ground screaming and dropped the gun to reach for his eyes. Cade quickly grabbed up the gun and pointed it at Tuck.
“Mia, go tell those kids in the hallway to tell the cops to come in and arrest this man.” said Cade.

Weeks passed by and everyones lives returned to normal. That is everyone except Tuck. Tuck was sent to prison, and will be there for most of his life. Cade and Mia both became very cautious of their surroundings. Mia apologized everyday for not believing Cade. Mia made a deal with herself that she would never be blindsided, unaware, or clueless.