The sounds of silence | Teen Ink

The sounds of silence

By Jayphin SILVER, Wilmigton, Delaware
Jayphin SILVER, Wilmigton, Delaware

It was an icy cold windy night in mid January. The trees seem to be made out of crystal glass. The roads were shiny and untouched. Nobody dared to ruined natures crystal carpet. The wind hollowed and nagged the windows almost forcing its entrance. The cold air crept in the small cracks of the windows and doors.
Summer was resting on her bed surrounded by layers of big blankets protecting her from the cruel gelid cold. She had being laying on her bed with out being able to conceive any sleep. It was already one in the morning but she was not able to rest her eyes. She sometimes suffered from insomnia and it bother her, specially in nights like this one. She decided to stay home because she always though that her parent’s trips were boring.
Summer glanced at her clock that was hanging from the wall, it was about to be two-thirty in the morning and she was still up like she had drank lots of energy drinks. Summer was recalling the horror film she had seen the night before. She loved scaring herself. It was a fun way for her to live adventures in her head; we can say it was her hobby. She would make up situations on her head, and even though they would not even come close to become real she would still live it. This time she was pretending to be the girl running away from the serial killer from the movie she watched last night.
She was finally about to fall asleep, it was now around three in the morning. She finally felt tired. Suddenly she heard a loud stomp that disturbed her sleep. Summer though that maybe she was dreaming so she closed her eyes again. Then again the stomp was made present, but this time very loud and clear. She knew this time it was not part of her dream or her head playing a trick. Summer ran to the switch the light on but it was useless. The electricity was working just a few hours before she went to bed and she could not explain herself what had happened. Then suddenly she hears another stomp but this time it was even louder and closer.
Summer became terrify; she did not know what to do or where to hide. The sounds become more louder, and now it was mixed with light voices of a children’s choir. She ran out of her room and sprinted down the stairs. She was going so fast that she ended up tumbling down the stairs that were left. Somehow she managed to get up and keep on running. She felt like the singing children were following her and that the stomps were louder and consistent. The doors to the outside seem to be far away from her reach. She was very tired of running, summer felt like she had run a marathon. She ran to the kitchen a without thinking she graved a knife. Summer stated going wild stabbing everything. She was really tired that she collapsed to the floor.

Summer’s parent finally came home. They expected to see Summer on her room sleeping. They entered in shock when they saw Summer on the floor. They never thought that it would get that severe. They knew why it happened. She suffered from schizophrenia.