The Kings Scream | Teen Ink

The Kings Scream

By Jordanann1020 BRONZE, Portsmouth, Rhode Island
Jordanann1020 BRONZE, Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Once upon a time, there lived a kingdom named Ashington . It was a beautiful day, many men and woman had gathered to celebrate the wedding of the king and queen. The ceremony had just begun when dark heavy clouds flooded the sky. A shadow was casted over the whole kingdom and unexpected sparks of light corroded the atmosphere followed by loud disoriented noises. For the first time in a thousand years it was dark; and the kingdom was scared. Sounds of thunder echoed throughout the castle making a beam of light shoot through the colored glass streaming pictures onto the floor. The children panicked and the parents tried their best to comfort them. For a second it was quiet as if all the fear and panic was washed away. The silence was interrupted by an ear piercing scream and a blinding flash of white. The dreary clouds had disappeared and the sun’s rays began to shine one by one; heating the ground with its warm smile. Everything was fine again until they noticed the queen was missing. The king was devastated, as hours had past and he grew worried. Another twenty-four hours went by and she was no were to be found. A search party set out in hopes of finding her or at least a clue; but every time they came back empty handed. The days grew longer and the months grew darker; the king was desperate. He moped around the castle, his eyes sagged ,and his memory was fading. The strong young man that he once was, had been long gone.
Two months had passed since the incident. The snow was falling fast and the wind was strong. The king blamed himself for what happened. His heart had been broken and he was sure she was dead. That was the last dark night he would have to go through;he made his decision. He slowly ascended the stairs, counting each step one by one. At the top was a tiny room, this room lead to the balcony.  He pulled the glass door open letting the cold wind burn his face. The king stepped into the snow leaving deep foot prints. From there he hooked one foot over the railing and then the other. He sat there for a second staring into the distance. His hands slowly loosened their grip while his feet pushed off. At that moment he fell to his death.
The kings body was never discovered only the footprints leading to the balcony. No blood no note just the last foot prints. Its said that during the fiercest blizzards you can here him scream for his long lost wife begging for her to return.

As a child I loved fairy tales, myths, fables, etc. For school, my ELA teacher had all of us write a fairy tale. I started working on it right away. "The King's Scream" was my result.

I want people be entertained by my short story. I want them to be asking questions, feeling curious, maybe even inspired.