Waves | Teen Ink

Waves

March 12, 2015
By SayakaRxy GOLD, Honolulu, Hawaii
SayakaRxy GOLD, Honolulu, Hawaii
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

During my last moments, I recalled the last month of my life: the month, that I spent captive, and was now to be executed. It was an unfair way to die, but I supposed all executions were.

Their raid was completely unpredictable. Reports showed no sign of any attacks when we left. And even if there was, we all knew how to fight against them; we were prepared by all of the training and survival kits provided.

Barely anyone was awake that night. Some even died in their sleep. They were the lucky ones. The others were abruptly awoken by the beasts' attacks. We all heard a terrible roar and a flash, followed by an ambush. I could barely see many of my loved ones as they were dragged away, but I heard their terrified screams as they were taken or disposed.

I awoke the next morning, a prisoner, captured and alone. All I had was a bag with some food, enough to last me around three weeks. The only reason I tried to make it last longer was with the hope that someday, a passerby would notice me and I would be liberated. But unfortunately, my efforts were in vain.

I smelt their salty breath around my cage since they were always gathered around me. I could visualize their mouths as they drooled, waiting for their hunger to be quenched.

They were constantly bored and always tossed and kicked my cage around, as if they were playing with a ball. My signs of discomfort never bothered them, nor did they ever stop.

They never spoke to me. I tried. During the first week, I would just scream at them. I would yell and curse and scream and yell some more. It didn't seem to annoy them and I never got any answers.

"Why me? When will you let me go? And if you aren't, just kill me already, damn it!"

Their voices kept me awake throughout the night. They never seemed to stop talking, whispering to each other in the day, sometimes arguing. It never really bothered me much. I wasn't allowed to sleep anyway.

I was always awake. Almost every minute, every second, every moment that I spend, they would keep me awake, splashing me in the face if I started to doze off. It was as if they wanted me fully aware of every moment before my demise.

Yesterday, I felt nothing. No splashing, no kicking, no tossing, just quiet murmurs. I suppose I should be grateful for those rare moments, as they did not last long.

Today, I awoke from a somewhat pleasant slumber. The day progressed as it always had. I noticed a strange red bird soar across the sky. And then, I saw it.

A colossal creature began to approach me. Electricity coursed throughout its body as its throat rumbled and let out a terrible roar. It was the same roar that I heard on the day of my capture.

The beasts seemed to respond quickly to the war cry. It was as if their strength had doubled; their movements much more violent that before. I began to feel the saliva spilling from their mouths as they covered my head. Soon, I was drenched by them and began to lose conscious. Suddenly, I was flung out of my cage.

I struggled against the beasts' as they clawed me down. Every time I would try to breath, they would push me and try to suffocate me again. I briefly remembered the bird and the treasure it held that I would soon have. The last thought I had was-

Freedom.

The body motionlessly floated up to the surface.


The author's comments:

For those who may be confused, use the title as a hint.