Another Day in the Life | Teen Ink

Another Day in the Life

By JacksonGarske GOLD, Littleton, Colorado
JacksonGarske GOLD, Littleton, Colorado

"Everyday is fancy, you just have to find the occasion."

Lucifer quietly purred on the counter as I poured my black and bitter coffee into my travel mug. Although I was late for work, I didn’t need to rush. They wouldn’t even think about firing me with the skill and knowledge I have. I grabbed my pre-wrapped sandwich from the fridge and headed towards the door. Roast beef with my special horseradish sauce, signature made from yours truly. Not a dish to match my extremely developed palate, but it would have to do. I had one of these everyday. Making sure the door was securely tightened by using both locks, because of the people around here. I briskly made my way to the dilapidated and rundown bus stop only two blocks from my large abode surrounded by tall apartment buildings. You would think being a well known doctor would mean you have a car. But those filth spewing machines were destroying our perfectly clean world. This dirty city was definitely not the top of the list of where to live but that’s where the money is. So, I waited at the bus stop for the crowded and grimy bus when all of a sudden a homeless man came up to me. Not out of the ordinary in this area. I see one of these guys everyday. He did the usual low down things like begging for money and trying to get close enough to me take some money if I gave him the chance. This one was surprisingly more aggressive than the others. “Please, man,” he wheezed,  “anything. Anything!” Just to get him away from me I gave him my pre-wrapped sandwich. He took it and hustled away, scouting out a good place to devour this rare item. He plopped down about ten yards away and riped into the meal. I grimaced under my breath about how down low that was. It’s fine though. I could buy my own lunch anyway. What else should I expect though? That happened almost everyday. It was just another day in the life.
My day went on boring as usual, treating patients, prescribing medication, buying my lunch from the restaurant down the street. They knew my order by heart down at Serene for I came in there every day. I sat at my seat by a large window on the third floor of the hospital while eating my Pecan Crusted Salmon. While people watching, I watched a man, with a grimace on my face, obviously a low life homeless man, stumble down the sidewalk, probably polluting the air with his heavily bourbon laced breath. If only I could help him.
I rode the same bus home and got off at my stop. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a familiar and unkempt face lying on the ground with dull, tiny, and most importantly lifeless pupils. 100% dead.  I strolled along without batting an eye or giving it a second look. It served him right. I mean really, didn't his mother tell him not to take food from strangers? So I kept walking, knowing that I did the world a favor by tidying up. It was nothing, really. It was just another day in the life.

This is what started my mystery writing rant so I thought, "Why not?" Hope your mind wanders . . .