The Police Report | Teen Ink

The Police Report

By woolenweevil GOLD, Centerville, Iowa
woolenweevil GOLD, Centerville, Iowa

I have recently investigated a string of murders.  They all were on Halloween, and they all were similar in the markings. The victims were chosen at random, they had no connection to each other.  The last one has given me the most clues though. The man was at a hotel room, there was blood in the bathroom, the pool of blood from the body identified small tracks, such as a small child. I asked the clerk about him. He responded, saying that the man arrived 2 nights before Halloween with a little boy, which would explain the tracks. But where was the boy? The clerk showed me camera footage of the parking lot where the room was. It showed the man’s car arriving and the man and a little boy hop out. The boy had what looked to be a scythe.  He went into the room and then, about an hour later, the boy came out with his scythe, but it was bloodied. 

I couldn’t make sense of it, why would a boy kill his father? The boy took off towards the north, to the woods that towered over the town. I took a unit out to the area and started a search team.  I had to admit the kid was good at hiding his tracks, the bloody footprints disappearing instantly at the tree line. There wasn’t even mashed grass or broken plants. It was like the kid had vanished at the tree line, just gone.  I started with the known areas of the forest. 

There was a couple that lived in the forest, secluded from the outside world. When I went to the door, I had seen foot prints that matched the kids’ tracks. The door was open. I entered with my gun drawn and found that there had been a struggle. The couple was dead. They had been killed by a blade. Probably the scythe, their heads dismantled and the body mangled.  The site was gruesome, but I called it in and moved on. The next place was the farm, where they raised goats.

When I arrived, I found the goats dead, all of them. I walked to the front door with my gun drawn. The door was open and there were the footprints, but these were fresh, at least an hour. I cautiously stepped inside, checking my surroundings. The first 3 rooms were clear. When I entered the kitchen at the back of the house, I found there had been a struggle in here. I continued on expecting the worst. I stepped besides the fridge when I heard a scream. It sounded like it was upstairs. I ran to the doorway that led upstairs. The blood trail led up them. I ran up and yelled for the occupants. I heard light running, turning I found the kid running at me, his eyes were black and a dark aura covered his hands, which were holding a blood dripping scythe. The scythe swung, knocking my gun out my hand, leaving a deep gash in my hand. I jumped back and ran, this kid was insane.  I ran to a door and opened it. It leads to a bedroom. I didn’t want to be trapped, but I knew that the hallway wrapped around the stairs. I turned to see if the kid was still chasing me. He had vanished, not even any blood on the floor. I quickly radioed in for backup and ran back to where I had dropped my gun. It was gone. Had the kid picked it up? Was he going to shoot me? I pushed the thoughts aside. I had to stay calm.  I radioed for an e.t.a on my backup. 5 minutes out. I had to stay alive for 5 minutes. I heard what seemed like a low devilish growl behind. I spun around to find the kid swinging. I jumped back just in time. The scythe catching my shirt and cutting it. I dodged more of his inhuman swings and ran. I peeked at my watch, 2 minutes left. I reached for my baton. I found it missing; looking down at my belt, I discovered all my equipment was gone. But how? I would have noticed it disappearing. I was knocked upside the head after that and I was out cold. 

I woke to find my colleagues standing over me with a paramedic crew. There was a family standing over me, looking at me in fear. I asked them what was wrong. They looked at me in discomfort. They said I had called for backup, but when they arrived they just found me laying on the ground unconscious with my equipment in the belt. It made no sense; my stuff had disappeared from my belt. The family said I broke down the door and acted as if something were in this house. But I swore there was. I looked out the window to find the goats were well alive. Was I going crazy?

Then I saw the kid by my car. I got up and ran outside to where the kid stood. Gone. Frantically, I ran back in to the house to explain what happened. I went over every detail, including the footprints. Maybe I could use those to prove my point, I ran upstairs and looked for the prints. But none were found. They told me they found the kid under the bed in the hotel room crying.

I’m no longer a police officer in that small town. I don’t even know who I am. I sit in this white-walled hospital, alone, afraid. I still see the kid I saw. He still chases me with his scythe and those demonic eyes. I still run, but these guys in white suits catch me and throw me in a padded room that is locked with a small window on the door. I am often put in this coat like thing that keeps my arms from moving.

Exactly 1 year later, they told me they were sending me to the chair. What chair? The blue one I always liked or was it that soft one that scared me?  No, this chair was different. It was old and metal and had straps. I sat down and they strapped me in and put something over my head. They told me to sit still, so I did. The kid was there laughing. I heard zapping, then nothing.

i used this as a continue story for "The Reaper Tale"