Furs of Mine | Teen Ink

Furs of Mine

By Summer Foley BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
Summer Foley BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida

My mother was an important figure in my life. She was 100 percent evil; from her perfectly styled hair to freshly pedicured toes. She always chose black bail polish which I understood.

My mother was never a nice person. She constantly yelled and yapped, but for some reason, only when she had the furs on. When the fur was on, I was a terrible and troublesome child, when the fur was off; I was my mother’s prodigy, her pride and her joy.

This always baffled me until the Halloween of my junior year in high school. I was 16 and heading off to my first party. The leaves had turned paper-bag brown and fluttered towards my shoes. My mom told me to dress up like Cruella Daville since my friend, Cindy, was a Dalmation.

My mom’s favorite black, fur coat slid over my arms in a tight, snug way. I continued to put on the black fur until Cindy and my mom suddenly fell through the floor. I jolted towards the floor to see if I could retrieve them but the coat whipped me back upright.

I ran up to the mirror and started grabbing at it to give me an answer. I began to cry with frustration as I couldn’t even see myself in the mirror. Suddenly, my reflection focused and I was terrified.

Looking 7 feet tall, my hair, nails and eyes had turned black. My lips were blood red and big. I had figured it out now.I looked out the door to where I heard footsteps and awaited a figure to appear. It was my father.

“Leah, you look-“ My Dad stared me in the eyes and fell to his knees with only gasps escaping his throat. I did not even want to move or help, I was oddly happy he was suffering over there. A smile crept into my lips as I started to strut out of the room.

That Halloween, I saw what my mother did, and that Halloween I understood why no one would be happy there.