Shadows | Teen Ink

Shadows

By WillowyWhisper PLATINUM, Heaters, West Virginia
WillowyWhisper PLATINUM, Heaters, West Virginia

Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. Psalms 37:5

The shadows hid his face; the wind choked away his voice. But the darkness couldn't swallow his gun. It was there, glistened by the moonlight, just as plainly as if we were standing beneath the sun's bright rays.
The wind died away to an uncanny silence that crept along the back of my neck. “What have you done with her?” I breathed the words.
But he wouldn't answer me. He just kept pointing his gun...
“What have you done with my wife?” Now I was screaming. I didn't care that at any minute he would pull the trigger. I didn't care that this was the end—death, at last. I just didn't care. I had to know what he'd done to her...
“Alright, then, sir.” He paused, and something of a chuckle whimpered through his lips. “I killed her.”
I couldn't breath. He pulled the trigger, but I barely felt the bullet seize my chest. I tumbled to the ground, my head against the pavement, my blood drenching my shirt. Still, I couldn't breath. I could hear him, though. He was laughing—laughing because he'd stolen everything from me. Everything I cared for. Everything I loved...
The blackness danced across my eyes, until finally it swallowed me completely.
But I didn't care. I just didn't care.