Too Close For Comfort | Teen Ink

Too Close For Comfort

By nbrownrigg14 BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida
nbrownrigg14 BRONZE, Ormond Beach, Florida

The smell of sharpie rose from the uncapped pen from which Audrey was using to sign in with. Unlike most high schoolers, Audrey was at the asylum, which she had been coming to for years to visit her mute brother who was alleged to be part of a murder. Although the investigation was still under way, he was put in psychiatric care due to the fact that he was found hiding in the closest, the victim’s blood splattered on him. Nonetheless, Audrey promised to visit often and often she did.
She shrived as she walked through the doors, forgetting how cool the asylum was kept. Dr. Haans nodded at her as she entered the room.
“Dr. Haans, do you know where Declan wondered of to?” Audrey questioned.
“He’s near the crafts Ms. Myers.” He replied.
Audrey wondered over to the crafts to find Declan vigorously drawing away. Audrey’s eyes drew wide as she realized Declan had drawn the same photo over and over again at least 50 times. There standing in a room colored black was a familiar man covered in red. Declan, for years, had starred off into the unknown, unresponsive to the world around him. These drawings could lead to his release.
With this realization in mind, Audrey hurried over to Dr. Romn, Declan’s main physician, who was situated in Declan’s room. His eyes expanded and breath hitched as he looked over the image. He handed the paper back to Audrey and paced the room.
Audrey exclaimed, “Do you know what this means? My brother can finally be released. I knew he didn’t do it. The man looks so familiar but I can’t put a name to his face.”
“Pity, he drew my nose wrong,” replied Dr. Romn as he switched the lock.