The Light | Teen Ink

The Light

December 11, 2014
By Anonymous

There’s this myth going around smalltown Ambler, Maine.  If you go out camping in the night, whatever you do, don’t look at the light!  If you look into the bright light that appears in the night you will dissapear.  You will never return, and if you’re alone the worst part is, no one would even know what happened to you.  That’s why everyone around Ambler knows never to go out camping alone.

 

Sara Brown and her friends have a free weekend.  They were all off of work so they wanted to do something on this hot, summer weekend.  Beth, Sara’s best friend suggested they go camping.  Henry and Clark agreed with Beth’s idea. Sara didn't particularly like camping but she wanted to be with her friends so she agreed too.

 

The four friends packed up their stuff for the weekend and headed out.  Everyone was so excited to camp but Sara had a bad feeling about it.  She didn’t know how she felt about going out into the wilderness and she knew about the myth of the light.  She was scared but she pulled herself together and told herself she was going to have a fun weekend with her friends.  After a while they finally picked the spot to set up camp and they built a fire since it was beginning to get dark outside.  It was a quiet, chilly night.  After roasting marshmallows everyone headed off to bed. 

 

Sara made sure to warn everyone to not go anywhere by themselves because she didn’t want her friends in danger.  They all laughed and said that it’s just a myth and to not worry about it.  Sara was still uneasy about the whole thing but then she went off to bed.  The next morning everyone crawled out of their tents to meet eachother outside.  “Where’s Henry?” asked Sara.  Everyone got frantic and began searching for Henry.

 

They decided to split up and search in the woods.  Since it was daytime Sara said everyone could go off on their own since it was safe.  Sara went her separate way away from her friends and began calling Henry’s name.  There was no sign of him.  It just occured to Sara that she was so concerned about Henry that she doesn’t know where she is now.  She doesn’t know which way to go and she has no idea where her friends are.

Time passed and the sky was beginning to darken.  Sara was getting worried and wanted to find her friends.  She called for each of their names but their was no sign of them.  It was completely dark out now and Sara knew she had to find them.  She was all alone and they could be all alone too.  What if the light got to them?  She began to sprint through the woods.  Just then, she stopped because she saw a person in the distance.  It was Beth. 

Beth yelled for Sara and Sara was so happy she found someone.  She started running toward Beth but then stopped.  Sara saw a glow right in front of her and realized the light had found her.  With no one by her side yet she knew she wasn't safe and she knew she was going to be taken.  The last thing Sara heard before disappearing was Beth’s terrified screaming at the sight of the light.