Perfection | Teen Ink

Perfection

By OliviaS14 BRONZE, San Diego, California
OliviaS14 BRONZE, San Diego, California

"You are not wrong. You fought to protect your world. Isn't that good enough? After all justice in this world is just a bunch of principles made by those with enough power to suit themselves."

The year was 1875. The spot lights flickered like wildfire, as the opera singers all lined up and the orchestra pit began to fill up. Today was the opening night of “L’Opera du Paris”. Elaina was a young girl (17 to be exact), she had been living at the opera house since she was 11, and had been long awaiting the day she would be cast as the lead.
Today was supposed to be that day, or at least she thought so. Aria was another opera singer, her mother, being the owner of the new opera house. Aria was a year older than Elaina and was always the director’s favorite, but tonight was different, there was a new director. Elaina had been practicing non-stop for the “mystery director”, in hopes of impressing whoever it may be.
“All singers line up!”, she heard the conductor yell. Elaina could see from a distance a young man- about the age of 20 walk through the door. His hair was ruffled and light brown, but his eyes were dull and tired- contrasting with his overall youthful appearance.
Hello..”, he said calmly, “my name is Eren Ranmond, I will be your director for the performance La C’reole”. Whispers and chattering filled the room. Aria seemed to be staring at him from a distance, a smirk forming on her face.
“Mademoiselle Arquette, please show Monsieur Eren around the opera house”, Aria’s mother asked.
“Oui ma-ma”, she replied curtsying, but soon quickly turning her attention to Eren. ”As for you Elaina, work on your C major scale, you sound absolutely horrid. If you ever want to be the lead for once instead of Aria, I recommend you improve greatly- and soon.” Elaina’s face grew red with fury.
Madame Arquette had always been much harsher on Elaina than anyone else. She was never excellent, not even good. But this made Elaina different, every day she would work on her breathing, scales, and even take extra medications just to be the best… but it never happened. Aria was the best, she was even known as le meilleur to everyone at the opera house.

Elaina could see Eren out of the corner of her eye making his way towards her. His expression was emotionless, and he walked with a noble stature- his chin held high. Elaina stopped what she was doing and made eye contact with him.
‘Mademoiselle Benoit”, he said as he kissed her hand politely, “You are auditioning for the lead, are you not?”.
“Yes- but… my performance is not perfect yet. I keep messing up on this one part”. She rummaged through her score until finally, she picked up the solo. Elaina handed it cautiously to Eren.
“Ahh..”, he said in amusement, La C’reole’s most famous piece”. He paused for a moment staring at Elaina. “You have to breathe more air using your diaphragm. He clenched his fist by Elaina’s stomach imitating the breathing motion.
“Remember Elaina”, he paused once again, “no matter what happens… the show must go on”. With that Eren departed making his way onto the director’s seat.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few days after the opening, auditions had finished, and parts were casted. A huge line formed in front of the cast paper hanging high on the wall. Elaina caught a glimpse of Aria’s golden curls standing in front of the scroll, her lips forming a wide grin “Better luck next time, Elaina”.
Elaina pushed her way through the crowd, as fast as she could. Her eyes grew large and her mouth dropped in disbelief. The lead role was Aria.
  Elaina looked up and down the list for her name. She was finally able to find it at the very bottom of the list only to realize she was Aria’s understudy.
No! How could this happen, she thought. All the extra hours, all the criticism… was for nothing?. She shook her head in disbelief. No it can’t be. I’m no-not perfect, is this who I am, an understudy?! Aria never works an hour straight, yet it’s her in the lead! I know… It’s because of her mother isn’t it! She probably thinks she can get whatever she wants just because she knows… she UNDENIABLY KNOWS she will always be the best in the owner… no, her mother’s eyes! All of a sudden Elaina let out a hysterical laughter. Well it’s about time she learns the PAIN, the ANIEXTY that I go through- wait… no that’s too good for her… she deserves to never know the feeling of success. Anyone can feel failure, but to have your victory stolen is a whole other torture, one I know all too well!
“Aria…”, she whispered soft enough for only herself to hear, “you will learn what it takes to truly be the best”. With that she let out one last cackle, before finally departing out the door.
A few months later the time had come for the performance of La C’reole. Everyone was frantically running around backstage, trying to get everything in order, but Elaina had a different “schedule” that night. After the overture, Aria had 3 songs to sing, before taking a quick break for touchups. This was Elaina’s time to take action.
The show began with an opening piece sung by none other than Aria.  Once finished the audience applauded in amazement, which only made Elaina grow even more furious. “Enjoy the spot light now Aria, they won’t be applauding you much longer”, she growled, as she made her way to the dressing rooms.

The dressing room was cold and empty. The only source of light was from a fireplace from Aria’s vanity. But it was just enough for Elaina to see what she was doing. She began rummaging around through Aria’s belongings out of boredom. “What a pretty… pretty little costume… too bad you won’t be able to wear it!”, she yelled as she tossed it into the fire. The flames grew like towers, devouring the silky remains. Elaina began to cackle a psychotic laughter, her eyes growing larger by the second.
“Hah! You were getting too fat to fit into that anyways, you should really stop eating like such a pig all the time you know!”. She began waltzing across the room by herself, still laughing hysterically at her comment. She slowly stopped when she made eye contact with a small glass of water. Her mouth grinned enormously at the sight of it. “That’s… Perfect! Just perfect!”, she exclaimed happily, running as fast as she could towards it.
Elaina pulled out of small flask of her medicine from her satchel and poured it into the water, making sure not to miss a single drop. “Au revoir… Le meilleur”, she said cackling one last time. 
Suddenly Elaina heard footsteps and giggling of two girls. She recognized one of them as Aria’s. “You were perfect as always Aria”, the other girl said cheerfully.
Perfect… that word burned in Elaina’s mind. She couldn’t stand the thought of Aria being something she strived so long to be. The footsteps grew louder, Elaina could hear the thumping on the marble floors. Her heart started racing, What if I get caught- No! It won’t matter I already did what had to be done. She tried holding in the laughter but could hardly contain herself, so she let out a small snicker.
“Did you hear something Mary?”, Aria asked her fellow singer. Both standing right outside the door to the dressing room.
“No…I don’t believe I have”.
“Hmm… I’ll go check, it sounded like laughter coming from the dressing rooms”.
“Aria, I don’t think it’s a good idea, your solo is almost up and your mother will kill you if you’re late-”.
“I’ll be fine Mary”, Aria interrupted her. “Trust me, go along I’ll meet you out there in 5 minutes I promise”.
“Oh… okay if you say so Aria”. With that she left. Elaina heard Aria’s soft footsteps enter the room. She panicked, what do I do if I get caught?! Do I kill her right here and now?! Suddenly she heard the door creaking open. Elaina could make out Aria’s petite figure walking through the door, with only a small lantern in hand.
“He-hello? Is anybody in here?”. She turned her attention to her vanity where a small glass of water stood. “Might as well take it, nobody’s in here so I guess it’s mine”. She took the glass in her hand and examined it, before taking a small sip. A sip is all it took, in just seconds Aria dropped to the floor coughing up blood, and out of breath. Elaina took this chance to escape, she slowly got up, but accidently hit the vanity cabinet causing Aria to turn around.
“Elain-*cough*-Elaina?!?! Wh-why did you do this?”, she said in tears.
“You’d be surprised what some people will do to achieve their goals, meilleur”, she replied mockingly.
In a matter of seconds Aria layed dead on the cold marble floors. Her body was pale, and her mouth covered in crimson blood. Elaina managed to stuff her body into a satin bag that was used for stage props and dragged it outside. “It was fun while it lasted Aria”, she left the bag there, to be feasted upon by the stray animals who resided in the alley ways of Paris.
“Oh no, it’s almost time for my solo, hmph they wouldn’t want their lead to be late!”, she laughed. “Better get going, until next time my mon ami!”
Elaina walked into the backstage. “Oh hello Elaina, have you seen Aria?”, Mary questioned worriedly.
“Aria won’t be able to make it tonight, I’m afraid she had certain business to attend to”.
“Oh no! But she was the lead, you’ll have to take her place Elaina! Hurry get dressed it’s almost time for your solo!”
“Of course Mary, Il be right out!”.
Within minutes Elaina was ready, her outfit glowed against the bright stage lights. She rushed out the door and performed. The audience was in awe as she sang, no one noticed the small blood stain on her hand. She finished her performance strong, and the lights went dim. 
Blood red roses fell onto the stage as Elaina bowed along with the rest of the singers.
“Bravo! Bravo!”, she could hear the audience’s approval.
Me…it’s finally me! I was... perfect. Eren could see Eliana from the stage box. “Wha-what?! Elaina!”, he yelled.  Where was Aria, he thought. What did she do to her?!
Elaina turned her head slowly to Eren, smiling blissfully. She softly whispered “The show must go on… right Eren?”.
Eren stayed in shock, while he watched Elaina’s final bow. The curtain finally closing.

It is 1875, in a Parisian opera house. Elaina is tired of her rival Aria getting what ever she wants. She will do anything to take her place and become perfect. Even if it means killing off the lead.

Sharkbait SILVER, Grant Park, Illinois

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."
-Anne Frank

Wow. That's the powerful truth of revenge. Unfortunately it always comes to those least expecting. Scary... Keep writing, it was fabulous! It was... perfect.