Grendel Narrarive | Teen Ink

Grendel Narrarive

November 12, 2014
By Anonymous

A Diary of My Hungry Thoughts
I awoke today to a sound that sounded as if a train was coming. The sound was coming from my big, green, slimy stomach, which was dying to be fed. I was sitting in my hot, pitch black, rodent infested cave trying to think of what could fill me up. Suddenly I heard singing and cheering coming from the Danes, which lived in Herot. The happy sounds of the Danes made me crave their raw, fresh meat. I could not wait until I could feel the blood of one of the Danes trickling down my throat and the bones crunching in my mouth. The urge finally took over my body and I snuck through the wet, sticky, gloomy marshes. I could hear the bull frogs croaking loud in the background as if they were cheering me on for what I was about to do. As I went into Herot, I could smell the blood and hear the pumping of the soldiers’ heart. The thought of finally getting to taste the warm blood and raw meat was driving me crazy. As I made it down the hall preparing for a great attack, I heard snores instead of cheering. Suddenly as I stepped in the room I realized everyone was sleeping. I then attacked violently, slashing through the soldiers delicate skin killing thirty men. To taste the raw meat and hearing the bones crunch made me feel accomplished. Hearing the victims screeching screams made me want to eat more and more. After I got a full meal, I became drowsy and decided I would go to sleep with a big, full, plump belly. I then dreamed of what may come in the future.


The Battle Which Ruined Me
Years have gone by, and the people are still scared of me in Herot. The thought of human blood and raw meat makes my mouth water. I feel no guilt, in fact am proud of what I have done.  I have heard talks about a guardian of heaven, Beowulf planning to challenge me. As I make my way to Herot I can hear the children of battles heart pumping. I cannot wait to feel bones crunch in my mouth again. I killed the first man I could get my paws on, actually I pretty much ripped him to shreds inside and out. I felt the warm blood run down my throat and the meat fill up my stomach. I heard snores come from my next victim, as I was about to pounce he woke up. Screams from him filled my ears as I the solider fought for his life. This fight was different from all my other fights though. This one was no normal man he was the defender of justice, and I could feel the fear radiating off my body. The keeper of all good was a tough fighter and this fight was a matter of life or death. Beowulf then ripped my arm right off my body. The pain was excruciating, in fact I am pretty sure my screeching, growling, screams were heard from all over. I ran back to my home in the sticky, gloomy, hot marshes to whimper in pain. I could hear the Danes’ cheering and laughing. I then realized I would never be able to go fight my battle and be on top again. My death was soon to come and I would spend it whimpering in pain. 


The author's comments:

It is from Beowulf