Urges | Teen Ink

Urges

November 13, 2014
By Luis Ibarra BRONZE, Berwyn, Illinois
Luis Ibarra BRONZE, Berwyn, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment


The bright sunlight punctured the stained glass windows as Wayne walked into Virginia’s oldest house of worship. He needed to confess. The secret that was dwelling inside of him was begging to be set free. He looked around for Father Peter and spotted him at the front of the church lighting some candles.
“I did it, Father”, said Wayne as he crept up behind the brown robed priest.
“Ahh, Wayne, what a surprise to see you here.”
“I said I did it.”
“Did what, my boy?”
“I did exactly what I promised you I wouldn’t do the last time that I was here. I couldn’t contain my urge any longer. I had to do it.”
“Oh Wayne, I told you that I can help you…you didn’t have to…”
“I can’t be helped, Father. You know that.”
“Wayne, the Lord helps all those who-“
“Don’t come at me with that BS Father! I’m a monster. The Lord doesn’t help monsters.”
“You’re not a monster, Wayne, you’re only 19, you have your entire life ahead of you to determine who you are.”
“I know damn well what I am and I know that you do too. You saw what I did to those rabbits when I was a kid. You know what I’m capable of. I can see the fear in your eyes. I can hear it in your voice. You even reek of it.”
“Who was it, Wayne?”
“My Mother. I chose my Mother”.
“Wayne! How could you? The woman who gave birth to you! She loved you!”
“She deserved it. You know that she was the one who would leave me the bruises when I was just a kid. I have to admit, doing it felt great. I’ve never felt so alive. I was in control of everything…”
“Wayne, your father would be so disappointed! What would he have done with you if he found out that you-“
“DON’T YOU TALK ABOUT MY DAD! You have no right to speak of him in my presence.”
“Wayne, I don’t understand…”
“I know what you did, Father. I remember now. I remember everything.”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Wayne. I think it’s time for you to leave now!”
“NO! No. I think I’ll stay. You need to pay. You need to pay or what you did to me. You see, when I was just a boy there was this man who came over to the house everyday while my dad was at work. This man would lock himself in the room with my mother for hours.”
“Wayne, where are you going with this?’
“Then one Saturday morning my dad and I were playing catch in the backyard and he went inside the house to get a glass of water. Only he never came back out. I heard screaming so I ran into the house to find my father on the kitchen floor with a slit throat. I turned around and saw my mother kissing a man with brown robes. The same man who would come over and lock himself in the room with my mother everyday, only this time he had a knife in his hand that had my father’s blood dripping off the tip of the blade. This man was you.”
“Wayne… I…how did you…”
“I was 3 years old when it happened. I recognized you the moment I saw you in your brown robes.”
“Wayne, your mother and I, we were in love. She didn’t have the money to divorce your dad, so…”
“So you murdered him. You murdered him and you created what I am today. The moment I saw my dad on the kitchen floor with blood gushing out of his throat something changed inside of me. It was my rebirth. Ever since then I’ve had these urges.”
“Wayne, I…Please forgive me…the Lord tells us that we must forgive…”
“Yeah? Well my urge tells me something different. Goodbye, Father. Oh, and if you see my mother down there, tell her I said that she can rot in hell."


The author's comments:

One night, I just saw this scenario play out in my head. I thought it'd be a good idea to get it on paper and make a story out of it. I'm hoping that by the end of the story I achieved to surprise the reader somehow.