The Shop | Teen Ink

The Shop

October 30, 2014
By Larry_Emerson BRONZE, Beals, Maine
Larry_Emerson BRONZE, Beals, Maine
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Scott could feel the breathing on the back of his neck like something was right there. He turns around, but nothing. Checking his phone he realizes how late it is. The clock just struck 12 and Scott is on his way home from work after a late night shift trying to get things done at his broker’s office. He starts to pick up his pace, not knowing how long it will be till whatever is following him will catch up. He is walked very quickly now, trying to make it home before 12:30 on a walk home from work that would normally take him 45 minutes.


Finally, walking up the doorstep of his apartment, he feels a sense of relief knowing that he made it home safely. This is not the first time that he has had this encounter. He has been getting followed since he first bought out the business 3 months before hand. The old owner got foreclosed and it’s looking like them who have the bad blood against him for buying the business. Mr. Scott Freeside straight out of high school was an entrepreneur. It all started after he took over his family business when he was fresh out of high school. The family owned a meat shop that also doubled as a deli. It was ok but it wasn’t what he really wanted to do for the rest of his life. So, at the age of 18, he sold it to his sister for a cheap price then moved onto his next investment.


The next day lead to the weekend, Scott doesn’t have to work because the office is closed on weekends. When he wakes up he thinks about what happened last night. He decides to call the cops to get them involved because he knows he is getting followed by something or someone. The cops then agree starting Monday that they would take a close watch on the shop for a few days if they have time. So Monday came and Scott went back to work as normal. The day went by very slow that day with the stock market barley moving at all so there was not much buying and selling to do. Then finally night came around. The office normally closes at 6 after the final numbers are put into the computer from the market that closes at 4. Finally after he’s done with number, he gets his stuff together and heads to the door to lock up the office. He gets outside and locks up the office then starts his walk home. He starts walking down the road when the light in the sky was at about dusk. Then on his walk home he hears something behind him. He turns around, then low and behold, the old office owners were right there. They go to corner Scott on the street wall, when a cop rolls by and then pulls in and puts his lights on when he sees what is happening. As soon as the blues came on the old owner ran off in a rush. Scott explains to the officer what has happened and the cop tells Scott to go home and get some rest and his department will worry about finding them for a trail. Till this day the previous store owner have not been seen by Scott and are assumed to have left town.