The Mystery Gang’s Mysterious Mission | Teen Ink

The Mystery Gang’s Mysterious Mission

October 27, 2014
By Anonymous


The Mystery Gang’s Mysterious Mission

I woke up on an early fall morning. A light fog shrouded the road around the Mystery Van; Dew coated fields of dead crops. Cool air rustled various parts of the van which caused me do wake up. I slowly leaned up from the reclined driver’s seat which I slept in to see that all my friends were sound asleep. Daphne was in the passenger seat, tossing in turning in her brown blanket from the uncomfortable whistling of the wind. Her long, flowing, red hair was concealing her face that she was laying on a white pillow. She seemed cold, so I turned the ignition and activated the van’s heat in attempts to warm her. Even with her uneasiness, she sleeps like an angel, or at least I think so. Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby were resting in the back. Velma cocooned herself with blankets to avoid the chilling metal surface of the van’s floor. She was not wearing her glasses; I would say it is unusual to see her without them, but she tends to drop them while on our assignments. Shaggy and Scooby were huddling together in a worn sleeping bag in attempts to warm each other. It does not surprise me that they are sleeping together; they are rarely seen ten feet apart. Since everyone was asleep, I decided to drive up the road. I was driving to our next assignment. We were hired to investigate mysterious noises coming from an old mansion. It seemed right up our ally.

I soon arrived at the road leading up to the mansion. It was 4:30 a.m. and the sun had yet to rise; in fact it was near pitch black. By then everyone was awake.
“Fred, are we there yet?” Daphne asked in a drowsy voice.
“Ya and it’s even spookier than I thought it would be,” I replied.

The gravel road led through a tunnel of tall, dead oak trees. The head lights butt into the fog which became thicker and thicker the deep we ventured in. The mansion lied on the crest of an open hill. It was terrifying on sight; the castle like structure was at least four stories tall with three cone shaped towers erecting form the top. It was made of rotted out wood with overgrown vines covering several of its external walls. I couldn’t imagine how cluttered the place is inside. Even though I have been to places like this before, it still makes me nervous. I stopped the van near the front entrance in a circular drive way surrounding a fountain. We all exited the van and entered the mansion through the loft wood archway. The inside was as cluttered as I thought. Many spots in the walls lacked wallpaper, the floor boards had countless holes, paintings on the walls damaged, and furniture was worn and dusty. The room was a generic for a mansion with a T shaped stair case leading up to the second floor with double doors all around the room leading to different parts of the mansion. I turned around to see Velma feeding Scooby and Shaggy Scooby Snacks in order to get them inside and Daphne looking around at the ravaged décor. I said to them,
“Alright gang, you know the drill. Let’s split up and look for clues. Velma, you go with Shaggy and Scooby. Daphne and I will look somewhere else.”

We separated. Daphne and I went down a wide hall lined with armored knights on its sides. It was strangely quiet; I could only hear undertone crackles of the wind outside crashing into the walls. Suddenly there was a loud shriek. It sounded like Velma. Daphne and I started rushing through the halls in order to find her. We hastily ran back to see Shaggy and Scooby cowering in a nearby corner.

“WHAT HAPPENED?” Daphne exclaimed.

Shaggy shakily lifted his arm and pointed down the hall. He said,
“Like, some huge monster guy came up and took Velma.”
Scooby added, “Raggy and I ran away rearry rast, It was rearry scary.”
“RAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!” an abrupt loud roar was heard behind us.
We all swiftly turned around to see the monster down the narrow hall. It was thirty feet away and hard to make out its features. It looked like a black shadowy figure with a large masculine upper body and thick legs. It could be anywhere from seven to eight feet tall. Shaggy shouted,

“Zoinks, like here it comes again!”

It started a fast sprint down the hall. Without a second thought, everyone started fleeing the other direction. It was just instinct. Fear made adrenaline rush through my body and I was running faster than I ever have before. I looked back to see the monster approaching faster and faster. I could see it know in higher detail; the monster had a green scaly skin similar to that of a fish, it had yellow glowing eyes with a skinny vertical pupil, under that was its mouth with a large under bite and two gigantic fangs protruding from it, and black claws stretched from its hands and feet. Thoughts rushed through my mind. The hallway was about to end with nowhere to go. I had to find a way to protect my friends. I…I don’t know what to do. But when I thought hope might be lost I noticed a sword hung on the wall. I snatched it, stopped and turned to the beast. It was approaching rapidly. When it came close enough, I swung the sword with all my might. I slashed an opening down its chest which caused sparks of electricity to burst out. However, the monster was unfazed and swatted me with its large arm. I was bashed against the wall, collapsed to the floor, and blacked out…

I soon woke up to be greeted by Daphne,

“Fred, are you ok?” she asked.

I felt an immense pain in my stomach and back, but I decided to play it off.

“Ya, I’m fine,” I responded. “What is going on?”

I looked around to see that Velma, Daphne, Shaggy, Scooby, and I were all in a cell. We were in a cellar made of stone bricks. Giant machines were running and electrical wires were scattered all over the place. This was a lair for an evil scientist. Then I noticed a small man next to the monster we encountered earlier. It was some sort of mechanized suit and he was fixing the slash I made in his machine. The small man walked toward us said in high pitched and devious voice,
“Well..well..well.., It’s nice to see the mystery gang came to see me. I hope you took a liking to my mechanical monster. It is quite an extraordinary machine, isn’t it?”

“Who are you!?” I shouted.

“Oh pardon me, I forgot to introduce myself. I’m professor Figamor.”

“Why are you doing this?” Velma asked.
“Well you see my dear, I’ve been secretly funded by the government to mass produce my machines. These fish men are designed to destroy foreign oil rigs and have the United States become the world’s leading sellers of oil. Of course I’m telling you this because you are never going to leave this place. HAHAHAHAHA!” he said with a sinister laugh.
He then walked off and left the room. I turn to my friends to see them all in despair, except Velma. Velma had a plan. She informed us of a vent in the cell Scooby can fit in.

Velma said, “Scooby, will you climb through this vent and get the keys?”

“Nuh uh,” Scooby said.

“Would you do it for a Scooby Snack?” Velma said waving the box.

“Ya, Ya!” Scooby shouted while devouring a handful of Scooby Snacks.

Scooby succeeded in getting the keys and we got out of the cell. I knew we had to stop the professor so we tracked him down and surrounded him.
“Alright gang, let’s get him!” I yelled as we bound him with rope.
I led him outside and called the police. It was another successful mission and I’m glad the gang made it out ok.

Soon a single police officer arrived. He slowly exited his car and made his way toward us. He oddly stops about ten feet in front of instead of incarcerating the professor. I did not know what to think of it. Before I could the officer began to speak,

“You know… this house is many miles into the woods. It’s unlikely anyone would hear anythin’ that goes around in this area. A scream… a gunshot…”
There was a long pause. The gang and I anxiously stared at him with shock. What was he talking about? He began to speak again,
“It’s a shame that you meddling kids had to get involved in all of this, and I’m sorry for that, but you can’t be around with the information you know.”

I did not know what he meant? Suddenly, he upholsters his pistol.

“What are you doing!?” I exclaimed.

He raised it and before I could react he fired. I felt the bullet pass through my chest and I collapsed to the ground. He then fired many more times and my friends fell to the ground with me. How could this happen? What did we do to deserve this? My vision slowly blurred until there was nothing left… and then… I felt nothing.


The author's comments:

A school assignment. Most likely has a few errors.