Base-Embracing: A Salacious Twist On Base Jumping. | Teen Ink

Base-Embracing: A Salacious Twist On Base Jumping.

October 22, 2014
By ChristopherChamberlain SILVER, Apache Junction, Arizona
ChristopherChamberlain SILVER, Apache Junction, Arizona
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Base-Embracing is a salacious twist on base jumping. The aim of the game is to embrace your partner while free-falling through the atmosphere for as long as possible; this involves, if possible, embracing until you reach the ground. Deploying your parachute is not required, although, you do have to be alive to receive the award so it is highly recommended that you do so.

Rules  

You must embrace your partner before jumping off of the building.

You will have two separate parachutes; double/ training harnesses are not allowed.        

Lips must be touching at all times; the embrace ends when the lips lose contact. 

The embrace carries on once the parachute is deployed unless contact ceases for any time exceeding 1 second during deployment.

It is not required for you to jump off of a legal base jumping site. It can be any site of your choice, however, you are responsible for any legal ramifications that may occur.
Any adverse weather conditions are irrelevant and will not supplement your score in any way.             

Using arms and legs and other available limbs to hold on to your partner is acceptable and expected, however, any use of harnesses, ropes, clips or other apparatus to aid you will result in immediate disqualification.

Your partner does not have to be a spouse or significant other, it can be whomever you choose and will have no impact on your score.

The height of your jump sight is of little importance. We use a complex algorithm to calculate your time in accordance with your competitors. We do suggest finding the highest possible sight as this will increase the thrill and your overall enjoyment. Planes, cliffs, buildings etc. are all acceptable.

Both participants are required to wear a head-cam with clear footage of the faces and lips so we can correctly time the embrace without fictitious input from participating parties. 


My partner Jasmine and I, both certified skydivers, jumped out of a plane 20,000 feet above Phoenix city. We stood at the precipice of the plane, the cold wind stinging our eyes and making them water, peering over the city that was now a homogeneous palette of mingling colors - we wiped our eyes, looked back down and saw the intricacies of the roads, weaving in and out of each other, and the cars, like ants, scurrying along on their way.  She wrapped her legs around my abdomen and her arms around my mid-back - her arms under my arms - and I wrapped my arms around her upper-back. We looked at one another, saw the earnest angst of intoxicating excitement in one anothers eyes and pressed our lips together with a wanton fervor that was deliciously unexpected and, on the count of 2 - because 3 is too cliche - we closed our eyes and jumped. We lasted a whole 8 seconds before the wind, like an overprotective father, ripped us apart. But it was a magnificent 8 seconds. After that, we dive-bombed, flipped, spun, and cannon-balled until it was time to deploy our parachutes. I deployed mine first and Jasmine followed suite, and we slowly descended to the landing field below. Once we landed we collapsed to the ground and stared up at the sky above; our skin tingling into a blissful numbness, making it undesirable and us unable to discern one limb from the other, fading into the immense totality of the experience -  both reliving our high-speed flight through the atmosphere just moments before; both lost in our own worlds of electronic impulses; both essentially drunk on the memory.
 


The author's comments:

I wanted to creat a new extreme sport, and this is what I came up with. Enjoy.