The Library | Teen Ink

The Library

It was pointless.  There was no going back now and Zoë knew it.  She was constantly moving to new places because of her parent’s work and Zoë was tired of it all.  There was always a new town, new school, and new friends nearly every month.  But that was never enough time to make real connections.  She told herself this time would be different though.  Her parent’s promised that this time would be the last time they ever moved but Zoë knew differently.  If Zoë knew anything about her parent’s, she knew that they wouldn’t keep their promise. 

Three months had passed so far and there was still no sign of moving.  Zoë had quickly fit in at school, becoming one of the most popular people in a short amount of time.  She was loved by everyone and was looked up to.  People envied her and wanted to be just like her.  She was never interested in any of the boys who asked her out so she turned down each and every one of them.  She continued to deny any boy who approached her until one fateful day in the school library. 

Walking through the aisles of books aimlessly, Zoë wasn’t quite sure how she managed to arrive in the abandoned library.  It was completely silent with only the sound of the librarian filing books into their appropriate spots on the shelves.  Zoë kept walking until she was in the farthest corner of the library where only a little sunlight was shining, as the only window was being blocked by a bookshelf.  There she found someone sitting and reading who looked to be her age but she couldn’t quite tell because of the dim lighting.  As she approached, he looked up.

Zoë thought that he looked exactly like the type of guy that she was attracted to.  From the looks of it he was tall, self-conscious, and somewhat of a loner.  When Zoë was finally standing directly in front of him, he told her his name was Jax.  His deep voice reverberated throughout the silent library and sent chills down Zoë’s spine.  She was tingling with excitement at having met this new boy in the back corner of a library that no one ever ventured to.

As days passed, Zoë and Jax got to know each other and became great friends.  The back corner of the library was like their secret meeting place that no one else new anything about.  It was where the both of them were able to unwind and find comfort in the other’s presence. 

But unfortunately, all good things must come to an end at some point.  It was time for Zoë to move again.  Except this time was different.  Zoë felt as if she had accomplished something.  She had become close friends to a person who trusted her completely.  When it was time to say goodbye to Jax, they decided to meet in the library.  Zoë arrived at the library first as she wanted to prepare what she was going to say to Jax.  When Jax arrived, Zoë was ready for how she would approach Jax. 

As Jax stepped forward to give Zoë a hug, a small glint of silver could be seen reflecting the sunlight.  But neither Jax nor Zoë paid any attention to it.  When Jax was finally hugging Zoë, the small glint of silver could be seen as it was raised into the air.  Suddenly, it was as if time had stopped. 

Jax stepped back and looked at Zoë shock evident in his eyes.  Zoë only looked him straight in the eyes and with no remorse asked, “Didn’t anyone ever tell you not to speak to strangers?” 

And then she was gone.  Never to be seen or heard from again.