THE OPPORTUNIST | Teen Ink

THE OPPORTUNIST

October 18, 2014
By jini0203 BRONZE, Mumbai, Other
jini0203 BRONZE, Mumbai, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
If not me who If not now when?


THE OPPORTUNIST
Let me see if I can do this,
I will not panic I tell myself. Things are a bit rushed today as I am hosting a dinner party for the Literary Board Committee .If sources are to be believed acing this dinner could mean a position among the directors. My career is on the line thus I am all the more tensed. It’s nearly two and the party begins at eight. I have very meticulously crafted the menu for tonight based on every members liking. There are seven members. The most important one is the Indian , if he is happy then my position is guaranteed .The dishes are Biryani for the Indian , Moussaka for the Greek , Pot roast for the Chinese , Fish in butter sauce for the French and Beef Bourgignion for the Americans and oh yes  a sinful Risotto for the Italian.
Till now I have managed   all of the dishes except the Biryani. The Indian is the most important and also the most persuasive, I start to panic a little. But the real challenge is to make it better than the one my competitor the coy and undeserving Anna has served at her party yesterday. Anyway I gather all the ingredients required for the Biryani the meat, cumin, turmeric, chilli powder, Bay leaves, an unripe papaya to soften the meat, garam masala, potatoes and few other Indian spices. I have now kept the meat for marinating and rubbed the aforementioned spices over it. I now have my lunch a simple pasta.
After almost an hour I pop all the ingredients in a large vessel and line the edges with wheat flour, it’s a Dum Biryani. You must be wondering why I am cooking so early well I want to maximise the time I get with them to persuade them to choose me.
I take a look at the other dishes and all of them seemed to be coming together well. It is almost four thirty, it is now time for home improvements. I change the curtains and the cushion covers, a tedious task. I lay a new table cloth. I make sure my lamps are working because the soft lights give a warmer atmosphere. My starters are tapas so not much of a hassle. For dessert I am serving a Raspberry Panacotta  with Coffee Liqueur. I dust all of the paintings and other artwork.
I have just received a call that the guests are expected to arrive early. I now go for a long bath. I have decided to wear a maxi dress for the evening. It is almost seven now and I am proud of myself for making six dishes. I really should get the job.
The bell rings. I open the door to find all the members of the committee very elegantly dressed. But among them I see another familiar face, Anna. I am shocked but I do my best to stay calm. Before I serve the starters, Sanjay the Indian guy says “ I have a very important announcement to make , last night Anna proposed to me and well I said yes we will be getting married next Fall . We love each other very much and would love it If you came for the engagement party.” Anna manages to give me her wicked smile. Yeah right she loves him, she loves the position and not him I don’t know how he doesn’t see it. I really don’t care about the wedding all I care about are the painstakingly made dishes because everyone knows who is getting the job.
Well life gave Anna and me lemons she made lemonade and I just left them to rot.


The author's comments:









 







Preferences
















§









1









2









3









4









5









6









7









8









9









0









-









=









Backspace









 









Tab









q









w









e









r









t









y









u









i









o









p









[









]















 











Return











 













 









capslock









a









s









d









f









g









h









j









k









l









;









'









\









 









shift









`









z









x









c









v









b









n









m









,









.









/









shift









 















 











English


















 

















































 


















alt


















alt









 
















 







Preferences