Kidnap | Teen Ink

Kidnap

It was a Saturday night like any other. I was babysitting my aunts kids while all my friends were at some wild party that I was sure to hear about on Monday. My Aunt was the type to call me at the last-minute almost every Saturday to babysit her five kids so she could go clubbing. Gotta love her. Her children, thankfully, are nothing like her. Addy, Hannah, John, Kate, and Peter are her children and also were all  little angels. Addy, who was eight, was the fireball of the group. His red hair could be seen from a mile away and his laugh was contagious. Hannah and John, who were twins, both had the curliest brown hair imaginable and were too mischievous for the age of six. Kate, who was five, was the blondie of the group. She was always forgetting where her favorite toy, Mr. Whiskers, had gone to. Peter, who was two, was the youngest. He has recently learned his first words and no matter what you did, you couldn’t get him to stop babbling.

We had all decided to play hide n’ seek on only the first floor of the house. I counted near the glass door in the hallway while the kids hid.  They would always hide in plain sight, but I would pretend not to see them so the game would be more enjoyable for them. As I was counting I noticed a figure on the edge of the property running towards the garage. I disregarded  it, as it was probably just the neighbor’s dog. When I reached 100, I turned around and started looking for the kids. Peter and Kate both hid together behind the curtains, John was behind the giant white pillows on the couch, Hannah was behind the counter in the kitchen, but I couldn’t find Addy. Although Addy was known for unique hiding spots, I didn’t think he was this good. I decided to find Hannah first, because she was the second oldest. I then proceeded to find all the other kids except Addy. When I asked Hannah if she had recently seen Addy, she said, “ He went after the cat in the yard! Mommy told us she would get us a cat, but he really wanted that one.”  I ran to the hallway as fast as I could and noticed the glass door was slightly open. I ran outside and was surrounded by darkness. For some strange reason all the street lights were off. “Addy are you out here?” I screamed. But there was no reply. My legs felt like jello and my stomach felt like it  was on the floor. I rushed to the phone to call the police, but it wasn’t working. I got down on my hands and knees and tried to find the right wire that connected the phone. When I looked I saw something that made me want to scream. Every single cord was cut that could get us help and there was a pair of scissors next to them. I started to cry and scream because I had no idea what was happening or where Addy was. “ Amy, why are you crying?” the children all asked in unison as they sat next to me on the floor. Right as I was about to respond I heard something. Heavy footsteps coming from upstairs. But not Addy’s footsteps.