The Avalance Family | Teen Ink

The Avalance Family

October 16, 2014
By Shanadavis BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
Shanadavis BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

For the Avalance family moving to Oklahoma was a brand new start. The parents were preparing dinner while the children, Tony and Alice sat in there room. Tony kept trying to scare his little sister, and it was working, considering it was already stormy and scary outside.


Their parents had just put the chicken in the oven when the lights began to flicker. They look at each other, startled. A big crack of thunder is all that is heard, followed by complete darkness and Alice’s scream. Their mother and father light a candle for them and begin to slowly walk up the creaky stairs. They reach their children’s room. They console Alice and put the candle on their nightstand.


Alice looks at her brother, her eyes swelling up in tears. “I hear something,” she mutters. Tony laughs it off. “It’s probably just mother and father in the kitchen. “After he says that,  he  realizes  that  they  are  all  the  way  upstairs  and  at  the  other  end  of  the  house.  How could what she is hearing be their parents? He feels  a  chill  run  up  his  spine,  and  realizes  they  are  not  alone.


As  soon  as  he  thinks  that,  the  lights  began  to  flicker  and  the  power  was  back  on.  Alice wiped he tears while Tony sighed in relief.  That  night  the  Avalance family sat down at  their  dining  table  to  say  their  first  prayer  and to  eat  a  new  meal  in  their  new  home  for  the  first  time.  But that night Tony could not sleep, he only thought of what his little sister had heard, and what it would look like.


Just about five days later Alice and Tony had just gotten home from their last day of school, it was the beginning of summer for them both.  Their parents had to leave that night for a flight in Florida for business reasons, and had left Tony in charge, considering he was 16 and could care for his 9 year old sister.  He knew how to do the usual house work and Alice was easy to please because he watched her last year while their parents where in London for business reasons, they always work.


He had just taken Alice’s favorite dish, Italian casserole. Now tony expected to go within their room and see Alice playing with her Barbie dolls, but when he knocked he heard something drop to the floor and thought she had broken something, so he opened the door but seen no one and turned on the bedroom light.


He thought she was playing a game and then said her name softly “Alice?” nothing, “Alice if you broke something you’re  not in trouble”, “Alison Railey Avalance you stop hiding rite now or no dessert for you!” he said in a stressed voice now. the closet door made a cracking noise, like it was being opened, he slowly approached it, he began to stretch out his hand out to the door knob, when he heard the commode flush and flashed his head around to the bedroom door to see Alice standing in the door way.


As they sat in the dining room Alice played with her food, she always did that before she ate it, but Tony didn’t seem to notice, he was thinking about other things, like the house, and what was in the room with him and Alice that first night, and was it gone. He turned his head to the window above the sink and saw dark storm cloud roaring in fast, he began to worry about this and went within the living room to search for the remote.


He had to go upstairs to look, maybe Alice hid it in her nightstand, she has done that before back at home in Miami, he went into the kitchen and looked at Alice “Alice I need you to stay in this kitchen alright? I have to go look in our room for the remote it isn’t in the living room and I have to check the weather news channel.”  All she did was smile and took a bite of her Casserole that made him believe she had hidden it in their room. He began to walk up the stairs till he reached their room, until he heard the thunder that must have startled all of Oklahoma itself.


He figured he didn’t need the TV now since outside was proof it was going to be an awful storm. He walked back into the kitchen and smelled something awful and noticed the remote was rite beside Alice’s plate, his face turned into a slight frown and asked “Why did you hide the remote from me Alison.” Alice looked at him she knew he wasn’t happy when he used her full name, “I didn’t the ugly dog gave it to me.”        

 

Tony looked at her in a confused face. “The what?” she replied with the the last bit of casserole in her mouth “The ugly dog thingy, can we give it a bath it smells just awful!” “There is no ugly dog Alice I apologize for scaring you that one time but now isn’t a good time for you to prank me back”.            

 

He flicked on the TV to hear that they have a 75% chance of a thunderstorm and he had a feeling that something bad was going to happen, so he grabbed Alice’s Disney princess table and chair and sat he down in the living room with himself, he didn’t want the ugly dog to go near her again, or possibly kill them both, and then, the power went out.