What happened to Kelly? | Teen Ink

What happened to Kelly?

By squirrelqueen1022 GOLD, Youngstown, Ohio
squirrelqueen1022 GOLD, Youngstown, Ohio

Life is never easy but the smart ones find ways to make it easier and strong ones keep moving forward.

All I remembered was screaming. I woke up in the hospital remembering nothing but a scream. I wasn’t even sure if the scream was my own. I put my hand on my head and felt stitches on the left side. I had cuts and bruises on my arms and legs and my lip was cut. What happened to me? My mother walked in with a cup of coffee, she saw I was awake and screamed my name. “Kelly!” She ran up to me and started rocking me back and forth as she held my head. She never once thought she was squishing me and making my headache worse. I was grateful when she stopped. She looked at me and had tears in her eyes. I wasn’t sure what to do to comfort her I guess me being awake was good enough. I sat there as she ran to go find a nurse. She wanted to hear that I’d be perfectly fine and she could take me home. But I wasn’t perfectly fine I couldn’t remember what happened to me, why I’m here in the first place. When they came back the nurse didn’t look very happy when she saw me. Was she upset that I was awake? She checked me over and asked me a few questions. She told my mother that in a few days of being in my old routine I’d be fine and that I could go home. My mother told me to change in the bathroom; I went in to find an outfit of blue jeans, a red shirt, a red jacket and converse. Red was my favorite color. On the drive home my mother talked as I listened. I found out that I was in a coma, and they didn’t think I would ever wake up. Was that why the nurse looked upset? Because she didn’t want me too? I had never seen the nurse before so I don’t see a reason she would hate me enough to want me to stay in a coma forever. As I recalled leaving there was many nurses and doctors staring at me and also looked upset. Did no one want me awake?

As I stared out the window looking at our town it looked normal, but then again had a strange feeling about it. That’s how it was here, most people think it’s because all of the secrets held here. I brushed the thought away as we pulled into our drive way. There I saw my seven year old brother Steven staring at me through the window. His face looked neutral. I wish mine did, everyone is always asking what’s wrong and you look sad. We walked in and Steven was still staring at me with his head slightly turned. I turned to face him and started looking back at him as I was picked up from behind. I looked to see my older brother Luke who soon will be 18. “Be careful with her.” My mother told him as she walked down the hall into the kitchen. All of us sat in the living room. I felt awkward for some reason, why I was I feeling awkward with own my family? Maybe because they were trying to act normal, as if I was never in the hospital in the first place. I tried to be calm and get back into my routine. I sat in-between Luke and my thirteen year old sister Christina. She had purple streaks in her brunette hair that I don’t remember; she must have gotten them when I was out. My younger sister Angela who is nine was drawing a picture. My father sat in a chair watching us all, Steven was watching me still. Steven was a seven year old boy with brunette hair and green eyes. His hair was somewhat long and cartoons and sports were his life. Angela was nine with blonde hair that went down to her waist and bluish green eyes. We called her Angel most of the time because to us she was one. She loves the outdoors, gardening, animals, drawing just everything. Christina was thirteen and the middle child. She has brown hair with purple streaks and green eyes. She listens to music a lot and plays guitar. She keeps to herself. My older brother Luke is seventeen with blonde hair and blue eyes. He enjoys reading, sports and is in love with his girlfriend Sarah. These three things and his family is what his world revolves around. As for me I have long black hair that I got from my father’s side with ice blue eyes. I don’t have many friends just my small group of four. I play guitar, drums and keyboard, I draw read and write in my free time. Which is almost all the time.

I got bored sitting on the couch with Luke and Christina so I got up and walked upstairs. Our names were on our doors, decorated in the way we wished. So it’s easy for people to find us. My door was just my name in black letters lined with red. If you opened my door to my bedroom you’d see dark red walls, a bed with red and black sheets, my guitar, drum set and a key board in the corner, my computer surrounded by notebooks and a  book shelf full of books with a dresser and nightstand. I think it’s a normal room, everyone else not so much. They seemed creeped out at the small things I have around my room like little collectables, posters, and etc. I lay on my bed staring at the ceiling. I turned my head towards my nightstand to see a framed picture of me and my four friends at the park acting like idiots. We were all wearing black and our favorite color. I was wearing black and red. Kyle was wearing black and light blue; he has been my best friend since I was four. He has black hair with somewhat long bangs and light green eyes. Daisy is wearing black and green in the photo. I’ve known her since I was five. She has brown hair and hazel eyes. Seth is wearing black and white; I’ve known him since I was also five. He has blonde hair and blue eyes. And then there is Amy who is wearing black and purple, I have known her since I was seven. She has red hair and green eyes. For five kids that seemed so depressed and crushed to the world we were actually very happy teenagers especially when we were together. No one could see it though. Maybe because no one actually talks to us. The only time people talk to us is if they are asking if we have heard something about someone or if they could copy our homework. We didn’t mind though.

Then the thought hit me. What if my friends knew what happened to me? I grabbed my phone and texted them asking just that. Then I was called downstairs for dinner. I walked in the kitchen to see my mother complaining about how dinner was ruined. My father looked at me knowing he and I could make dinner in a short amount of time but neither of us felt like it. So as my mother complained my father grabbed the phone and called for pizza. My father and I were close we did a lot of bounding when we had time; cooking was one of those things. So as we all waited for dinner to come we sat in the living room. I asked them all if they knew what had happened to me. They all claimed they had no clue. As we got the pizza my phone vibrated I checked it to see two text messages from Kyle and Seth. Neither of them knew either, they both asked if I was alright though. I told them I was fine, which was somewhat true. I ate and went upstairs to get ready for bed. My headache came back from earlier which made trying to sleep a million times more difficult. But I managed; when I woke up I got dressed for school and walked out.

I was starting to walk to school when I started thinking am I late? I saw no one else until Kyle and Seth ran up to me. We got half way there when Amy and Daisy joined us on our walk. They kept asking if I was okay and if I remembered anything at all about what happened. I told them about the one thing I did remember which was the scream. None of them had a comment to it. I asked them “How long was I out for?” “Six days.” Kyle answered almost immediately. “You were acting weird the day it all happened. We asked if you wanted to hangout but you said you had plans to do something.” Seth added. What did I have planned that day? I couldn’t remember that whole day at all. I couldn’t even remember going to school. Why was I going to school today anyways? It’s Friday and I missed the whole week anyways. I was at school now though so no point in turning around. I spent the day being stared at and having people whisper to one another about me. They had no clue what happened either, they asked and threw random guesses at me. I shrugged my shoulders and Kyle told them to go away and leave me alone.

In class the teacher’s computer froze, so she called the office hoping they could fix it. I watched her as she pressed the buttons. Then I remembered something. My hand trembled as I punched the numbers into the phone. My hand was pale and the numbers I pounded into the phone showed up as the contact for ‘Jake Lewis’ the new kid I had been talking to a couple days before. I turned around and looked at him and remembered something else, we kissed that night I think we were at the park. He may be able to shine some light on what happened. I started writing down what I was remembering so I could piece it all together. Then the bell rang and I stood outside the door waiting for Jake. When he walked out I grabbed his arm and walked him into a supply closet. He kissed me again; he apparently thought we were in here to do something else. “You don’t remember last Friday do you?” he asked me as he took a step back. “I remember parts of it, like calling you and kissing you I just don’t remember why.” He looked very embarrassed. “Oh, we were kissing because I asked you out and you said yes. So I kissed you. After school I met you at your house, we hung out and I asked.” Oh so I have a boyfriend. Now I feel bad for not remembering that part. “I remember the day before when we talked about hanging out. So we did and I was with you Friday night? Do you mind helping me remember? Like retracing my steps?” He seemed happy that I asked for his help. “Yes, I’ll help you. But I have one question for you Kelly.” “Sure go ahead and ask.” He looked down at his feet and asked “Are we still dating even though you don’t remember me asking you?” I remembered the few days before when I was talking to him and I liked him and I knew if he asked all over id still say yes. “Yes we are still dating Jake.” My answer brought a smile to his face. We left the closet right after and went to our next class. Jake was sixteen and a half had black hair that looked surprisingly like Kyle’s and had bluish green eyes. I learned he liked black and bright yellow. And he was in every single one of my classes.

I spent my next classes wishing they would end faster. I couldn’t wait till school was over so I could retrace my steps. I want to remember; at least I think I do. At lunch my friends were staring at Jake and me with confused looks on their faces. “Why is the new guy sitting with us?” Amy asked. “I was hanging out with him last Friday and he is going to help me retrace my steps after school.” I answered not looking into anyone’s eyes. “That and we’re dating.” Jake added. They were stunned and had no comment. We didn’t talk about it. Actually we didn’t talk much at lunch after that. After school we walked to my house and put our stuff in my room. When we left we were quiet. I was too busy enjoying the fall air to talk. And either way I had no clue what to talk to him about. And apparently neither did him. We got to the park and the exact spot we were Friday night. “Here we are.” I looked around. “Don’t tell me what happened please I want to try to remember.” I looked around trying to remember, I tried so hard. Then I did remember some things. Jake and I were sitting at the picnic table talking, laughing things were going great. He said sweet things, asked me out, and kissed me. After awhile we walked out of the park, but instead of going right which would have taken me home we went left instead. Where were we going that was in that direction? Trying to remember everything was making my head hurt. Jake could tell. “Come sit down.” He said as he took my arm and walked me a couple steps to it. I took my list out and wrote down all I remembered. Jake was looking over my shoulder. “You remember me asking you out?” he said with a small smile on his face. “Yeah, I do. You said some things.” I said returning the smile with a small chuckle. He wrapped his arm around me and rested his head on my shoulder as I continued to write. When I was done, I waited till my headache got better to continue. We started walking in the direction I remembered. I wasn’t remembering much, I guess there wouldn’t be if we were just walking. Then we reached the corner I wasn’t sure which way we went. I gave up on trying to remember which direction. “Jake?” I said hoping he would take me in the right direction. We went left, what was there in this town that was left of here? I knew there was something with a lot of people, there has to be. After a couple more turns I realized I was right. There were a lot of people. A lot of dead people.

We had gone to a cemetery. What was at the cemetery other than dead bodies and tomb stones? I have so many questions but only a few answers. “You said you wanted to show me a tomb stone as we were entering.” Jake said giving me a slight clue. There was one tomb stone that I always found interesting, so I was hoping that was the one I showed him. When we got there he said “This is the one.” So I was correct, I went to sit on the ground to use the base of the statue tomb to write. I stopped and saw there was blood on it. Was it mine? Did I come back alone and something happened? I wish I knew. I started taking a few pictures and whipped some of the blood off with a tissue. “We left after this right? No more tomb stones?” I asked unsure of myself, he took it as a strong guess as he shook his head. We left the cemetery and I automatically turned left I don’t know why but I just went with it. Jake didn’t stop me either so I’m guessing I’m going a right way to where ever we went next. We got to downtown when it started raining and walked into a diner. I don’t know if we walked into here last Friday night or not but im walking in now because im cold, wet and hungry. My jacket was damp so I took it off and set it next to me as I sat in a booth. Jake sat next to me rubbing my arms trying to warm them up. A waitress came over took our order and after she left Jake asked “So you remember us coming here?” We did come here last Friday? “No to be honest I was just cold, wet, and hungry.” I said shrugging my shoulders and smiling. “Oh I figured you did since you sat in the same booth and ordered the same thing.” He said as he sipped his drink. I had remembered this without realizing it. I got my list down and wrote it down I know my meal didn’t matter but I wrote it down anyways. I started looking out the windows and saw the morgue around the corner. For some reason I wanted to go in there. I shook the thought out of my head when the food came. We had an actual normal conversation nothing about last Friday at all, well not until the end. “So how come your family moved here into this strange little town?” I asked popping a fry in my mouth. “My dad just wanted change. Our town was too quiet and dull for him. He wanted something new.” He said. “Well isn’t your dad in for a treat?” I said following by laughter. “What do you mean?” Jake asked in a confused tone. “This place is full of weirdo’s, and full of secrets.” I said. He seemed interested now. “Ever thing what happened to you is just part of another town secret? Or you were close to finding out a town secret and they wanted to stop you before you did?”  He had a good point there. The secrets in this town weren’t small, they were deep dark secrets that really should be buried and kept underground.

Then it hit me he was right, I was trying to find out town secret. There was something about it, I may have written something down somewhere. Maybe if I found the paper of what I had found out about the secret I’ll remember or just some of it. We finished eating and paid. I was debating on whether or not I wanted to go to the morgue. Maybe I wanted to go because I was there Friday? I decided to take the chance and go. “I see you remembered this part.” Jake said panting as we ran over to the morgue. I was slowly starting to remember things without realizing it. We walked in through the back door since everyone was up front for a funeral. We walked down the cold spiral stair case to the basement. As we got closer it got colder. I was searching for files, that was another thing I remembered. I found them too in the homicide pile. I took pictures of them. I looked at the drawer number on the files for the bodies and started opening some. Someone was coming down the stairs; Jake and I jumped on one of the drawers and rolled it in to the freezer inside slightly closing the door. The mortician was looking through the same files I just was. He was mumbling something under his breath but I couldn’t make it out. He took the files over to the wall. There was no shelf or table near or on the wall. He started pushing on the wall until a small piece moved out of it revealing a cabinet hidden inside the wall. Some dark files must be in that cabinet if they are hidden behind a wall. He put the two files in the cabinet and pushed the wall piece back in place. I wanted to jump out and search through the hidden cabinet right there right now.

The mortician was still mumbling under his breath as he walked back upstairs. When I couldn’t hear the footsteps any longer I jumped out and walked over to the wall. I went over to the wall and started pushing until I got the piece out. It was a very old cabinet and the drawers were labeled “Beatings”, “Poisoning’s”, and “Drowning’s”. I thought files were just put into alphabetical order? I took all the files out, I looked at the newest file and it looked so familiar. I looked at the name and saw why. “Kelly Harrison” written on the top why was I in this cabinet? I took pictures of all the files, everything in them. Every file had one thing in common it said ‘They were too close’. What did that mean? “We’ve been here too long Kelly, let’s go.” He was right we were there too long. I put everything back and pushed the wall back in place. We got out of the morgue in one piece. “After this I walked you home.” That’s impossible. “I know that doesn’t exactly help much that I walked you home before you were hurt but I did.” Jake said feeling useless. “It’s okay I’ve remembered a lot today with your help.” I didn’t fully reassure him but he took it. We walked back to my house this time not in total silence. “What do you think it meant?” I asked Jake. He turned his head to me confused. ‘What’s what mean?” “They were too close; every file said that under reasoning.” We walked a bit in silence, neither of us knew. We got to my house and went into my room. Jake laid in my bed exhausted from today. I found the notebook that I was putting everything prior to my little ‘accident’. I took my list out and wrote everything in it. I looked through my pictures and saw there were three other words after close but I couldn’t make them out. The notebook wasn’t helping as much as I thought it would. I found a group of letters that I had no clue what they meant “TWTCTTT” My head was pounding so I decided to put the stuff down for the night. I walked over to my bed and plopped down next to Jake. He was already asleep at least it looked like he was asleep. I don’t remember falling asleep but I did.

I woke up to someone softly saying my name and petting my head. I opened my eyes to see Jake facing me. “Hey sleeping beauty, your mom says it’s almost time for dinner.” Jake said whispering. My head was still pounding. “Are you staying for dinner?” I asked quietly. “Do you want me too?” he asked. I shook my head as he sat up. “Alright I will. Are you okay?” he asked sounding worried. I didn’t answer him I just wrapped my arms around him and put my head on his chest as if I was a sick child dying to be held. That’s what I felt like a sick child who deeply wanted someone to hold her. He held me until my mother called us down. I didn’t want him to leave after dinner I wanted him to stay and hold me. My head was pounding and I felt sick, him holding me made me feel a bit better and actually a bit safer.

At dinner my dad was glad Jake stayed he wanted to have an actual conversation with the boy that visited his daughter everyday in the hospital. “So Jake tell me, how are you enjoying our little town?” my dad asked. Jake could only find one word to describe it. “It’s very interesting.” My dad had to agree. “So you and Kelly met at school correct?” Jake just shook his head unsure if he should add to his answer. My dad and Jake asked each other a few questions and that was all. I wasn’t paying attention to their conversation because I wasn’t fully present I was dizzy and felt like I might throw up. After dinner I was right, I did throw up. Jake asked if he could stay the night so he could keep an eye on me. I threw up everything I ate that day, so when Jake walked me to my room he went downstairs and got me toast and ginger ale something he thought I might be able to keep down. My head got worse and worse. Jake just held me and petted my head because their wasn’t much he could do. It made me feel a little better. I fell asleep with him holding me. When I woke up Jake was gone from my room and I still had a headache not as bad but still. I was hot and sweaty and decided to take a shower. Walking made me dizzy and nauseous so after my shower I walked back to my bed and laid down. Jake came back in with breakfast for me, toast, bacon, eggs and juice I still wasn’t sure if I could hold it down but I tried. I tried for Jake and the bacon. Mostly the bacon to be honest with you. I did eat it all to my surprise when he took it down stairs he came back up with water and tea. As my stomach set my mother told him to take my temperature. “102.7” he said looking and sounding more worried than last night. “How are you feeling?” my mother asked as she walked in. “Head hurts, dizzy, throat burns and nauseous.” I barely replied, I was startling to lose my voice. My mother gave me some medicine and told me to rest. I didn’t want to rest; I wanted to find out what happened to me.

At the moment thought that wasn’t an option. I asked Jake to get me my notebook but his reply wasn’t what I wanted. “No you don’t need to worry about that. Right now you need to rest and get better.” He said in a concerned voice. “I bet this isn’t how you pictured your weekend huh?” I asked a bit sad I ruined his weekend. “No this is fine. I pictured it with you and if that means I’m taking care of you then I’m happy with my weekend.” He said with a small smile on his face. I couldn’t help but to smile back at him. “Here drink some tea and take a nap.” He said handing me the cup of tea. “I’ll take a nap if you lay down with me.” I said taking sip. He couldn’t refuse and I fell asleep almost immediately. I woke around 3:30 and once again Jake was gone. Luke walked in “He went home to get some clothes.” “Oh.” Is all I said. Luke sat next to me putting his hand on my head and running his finger over my stitches. He looked sad as he looked at my busted lip and stitches. “Do you remember?” he asked. “Remember what?” I knew it was a stupid question but so was his. “Do you remember what happened to you? How you got all beat up? Or why you got beat up or who did it?” I shook my head no at his question. He put a strand of hair behind my ear and got a better look at my stitches. “Hopefully you won’t ever remember.” He said sounding very sad. Why didn’t he want me to remember? “Why shouldn’t I?” He looked shocked at my question. “Why would you want to remember that happening to you?” he said looking more concerned that I have ever seen him. “Not being able to remember is killing me. I need to know. I need to remember what happened to me Luke.” My answer didn’t seem to surprise him. “You’re always looking for the truth Kelly.” Luke said thinking about the situation. “Well get some rest you need it.” He said walking out of the room. Rest? I was just asleep for almost six hours. Why does everyone want me to rest that badly I’m not that sick.

I decided since no one was going to help me get my notebook I was going to have to get it myself. As soon as I stood up I got nauseous again I ignored it and walked over to my desk. I just sat at my desk looking through it and my laptop then I remembered my chair had wheels. I wheeled myself to my bed and rolled myself onto my bed. I wasn’t just sick I was lazy. But neither of those two are caused by one another. I looked through my notebook to find a list of names. I wasn’t surprised I had a list of names; I was just surprised by who was on it. There was the mortician, my high school principal, museum tour guide woman, the librarian, some school teachers all of which id had at one point, some nurses and doctors and then some senior citizens. What kind of list was this? I must have had a good reason to put them on it though. I went online and searched them all. I looked more in my notebook to write what I had found, but I saw that I had already researched them. I also apparently started following them around so I would know their schedules. One of the nurses on the list was the same one that told me I could go home. I took all their pictures and laid them out in front of me. Then I remembered all of them standing around me in the dark saying something I can’t recall. It was a flashback of what had happened right before I was beaten. Were they the ones that beat me? I went to the last page in my notebook to write down what I had just remembered to find something already written. ‘Fridays and Saturdays 11:30 pm cemetery.’ I was found not to long after that time Saturday morning. I was their Friday and I’ll be going there again tonight.

I know it must sound stupid. I went there once and ended up in a coma that I wasn’t supposed to wake up from. And I was supposed to die that night if I hadn’t been found at any sooner I would be. I’m supposed to be dead right now. So whoever did this, their plan didn’t go the way they wanted and now I’m going back to where I was towards people who want me dead. I was indeed stupid for me to want to go back with an unfinished plan to kill me out and about. But I just wanted to know what had happened to me and if I die finding out then so be it. It was almost 11 and Jake was back and trying to get me to once again go to sleep. So I told him the same thing I told him before if he slept I would too. He did and it didn’t take him long at all to fall asleep. I slide from under his arm and got dressed. Before I jumped out the window I left Jake a note that read ‘I’m sorry.’ I walked through the bushes towards the cemetery thinking maybe I shouldn’t have done this, at least not alone. When I was in front of the cemetery I had convinced myself that I had done the right thing going alone. I would rather be the only one hurt then hurting someone else. I got to my favorite tomb stone and hid by another not too far away. As I waited I looked at the tomb stone of a very descriptive woman carved into stone, she didn’t look like a normal angel maybe a dark one? The wings were somewhat pointed at the ends like dark angels and the outfit she was carved into was tight not loose like a normal angel outfit. She had a necklace that looked almost exactly like the one I’ve had since I was born and I wear around my neck every day. That’s why I liked it so much she wore the same necklace as me.

It wasn’t much longer till everyone on my list showed up. It wasn’t long till they started talking either. “She is up what are we going to do about it?” the nurse that checked me out said. “She doesn’t remember a thing so why do we have to do anything?” my principal stated. “She will start to remember, she may even remember right now.” Said the mortician. “I’ll ask this again what are we going to do about it? She can’t go telling people we’ve beaten and killed people to hide our secrets and so did the people before us! We all know that no one can know about our little dark magic rituals. So we have to do something about her.” the nurse said now almost screaming. She was losing her patience. “Kill her in her own home make it look like a robbery and that she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time?” the librarian said. She was an older woman who I always thought was the sweetest person alive, I now see I was wrong since she is trying to find ways to murder me in cold blood. “She’s a smart girl why would she come back after what we did?” my school teacher from freshman year said. “Because she won’t stop until she knows the truth.” My principal added. Congratulations I thought my principal knew me more than I thought he did. “It’s been going around school that she is trying to remember but not much luck.” Said my English teacher. “See the young girl doesn’t remember.” An old man said. “let her be” he added. I slowly started backing up when something made a loud cracking noise they all looked over and stared at me.

“No luck remembering huh?” the nurse said to my English teacher but looking directly at me. My principal some teachers and the elderly man looked sad and maybe hurt. Looked as if they hoped they wouldn’t have to do anything to me, that they could just leave me be for the fact I had my whole life ahead of me. I stood up not looking away from them. “Before she was just close to finding out, now she does. For once someone finally knows.” The museum tour guide said. They took a step towards me and I took that as time to run. Every single one of them chased after me even the senior citizens. They actually ran pretty fast too. I looked back at them and then tripped over a tomb stone I rolled and hit my head hard onto another stone. I didn’t even make it out of the cemetery. I started crawling away and almost picked myself up to start running but I was hit down. I turned to see a little old lady standing over me with her cane. I was brought down by a little old lady who needed a walking cane. I tried to at least sit up against a tomb stone but when I tried the old lady swung the cane down on my back once again. The others were now all around me. “Can you at least let me sit up?” I asked. I sat up without the old lady whacking me again. My back was killing me that didn’t matter though. They were all staring at me but not saying a word. I wasn’t sure why they hadn’t killed me yet. “Where did you get that necklace?” my principal asked. I looked down at my necklace it was a black circle with a red star in the center. When I was born a package was sent to my house with my name on it, my parents opened it to find the necklace. There wasn’t a name on it of who sent it only mine. I was about to answer when the nurse yelled “She stole it!” She grabbed the old woman’s cane and whacked me upside the head. When I woke up my principal was tapping my face. “I’ll ask you once more where did you get the necklace if you don’t I’ll let them do whatever. We know that’s something you don’t want Kelly.” It took me a moment to comprehend what he had told me. I was dizzy, I couldn’t see straight and I couldn’t get any words to leave my mouth. I was trying too; I didn’t want to go back to the hospital especially with these nurses and doctors. “Box.” That one word was all I could get out. I guess I got it out in time to the nurse was about to whack me again. My principal saw it and held his arm out to stop her. Because even if I did speak she still wanted to hit me and everyone there knew it. ‘I’m going to need more than that Kelly. Where did you get the box?” he replied. I shook my head no; I didn’t take the box or find it. If anything the box found me. It was given to me I don’t know from who but it was.

I realized I could only get one word out at a time every few minutes so I had to choose my words carefully. My next word of choice was “Given.”  A couple of them looked confused; others didn’t care and wanted to start beating me to a pulp. “Why should we believe her?” the nurse said beating me with the cane after every word. “She doesn’t have a reason to lie!” my principal yelled. But no one no longer cared how I had received the necklace. They silence my principal, the few teachers that actually cared of my well-being and the old man. They started beating me with I’m unsure what all I knew is that someone above me had a cane. As I blacked in and out I saw who had the cane it was the little old lady. I still can’t believe that a little old lady had the energy to beat me this bad. They stopped for a moment, my legs hurt so bad I couldn’t move them. My back felt like it was burning and I couldn’t keep my head up. I managed to turn myself around and said one word “Truth.” After that I blacked out, but I’m pretty sure they didn’t stop beating me at least a good half of them most likely did. And of course they left me there to bleed out, I’m pretty sure one of them stabbed me, and I honestly thought it was the old lady. I woke up in the same place on Monday. I couldn’t walk so I dragged myself out of the cemetery. Where I was it looked like there was a blood bath behind me as I dragged myself on the sidewalk but I ignored it. The closet place to me I could go was my school. Which I thought was ironic that the school was so close to the cemetery since we are always told to study in school and the word ‘studying’ has the word dying in it. And right now I was dying but I wasn’t going to the cemetery from the school it was the other way around. The humor in my head was the only thing keeping thoughts that I wasn’t going to make it out of my head. It took me awhile to drag myself to the school, when I got there I could barely stand. I leaned against the wall walking through the halls. No one was in the class rooms, where was everyone? I walked past the gym and saw everyone there. My whole school and most of the town looking at a photo of me that read ‘Rest in Peace Kelly Harrison’ why did they think I was dead? I looked closely to see the principal and some police officers speaking next to three people. All of which beat me senseless twice and left me to die. It was the museum tour guide, the librarian and the old lady who I still think was the one that stabbed me. I listened in to hear them say that I had jumped off a bridge and killed myself and the three had apparently tried to stop me. It was unbelievable to me but everyone was believing the story they were being told. I looked to see my family and friends and even Jake all sitting next to one another. My father was staring at my photo trying not to cry, my mother was bawling her eyes out, Luke and Christina were crying and holding their hands over their mouths, Angela and Steven just looked broke and had tears in their eyes. Kyle, Seth, Amy and Daisy all looked broken and were bawling their eyes out. Jake looked broken, sleep deprived, and was slightly crying. All the people I cared about just looked so broken. Even Christina who I have never seen cry, never and now she is all from a lie she was fed. All of them looked so sad, I felt bad. I wasn’t sure what to do I tried opening the door but it was too heavy and I was too weak from the blood loss. But I was determined and I dragged myself down the hall to the other gym door not as heavy as the other. I opened the door, everyone was quiet and no one looked at me. Not until I was almost in the center of the gym. I looked in the bleachers everyone who did this to me was there looking at me. Watching me walk to the police. They didn’t move because they knew they couldn’t do a thing to stop me but hope I died right there and then from blood loss.

No one rushed to help me they were all too shocked. I looked over at the nurse who just wanted to finish me off and she looked furious. Jake ran up to me and hugged me, it hurt but I couldn’t say a thing to stop him. He realized he was hurting me and just helped me keep my balance. I looked back at the nurse and put a smile on my face as I waved to her. Her face got beat red as she stood up and started walking. The police kept asking me “Who did this to you?” and “What happened?!” I didn’t answer them I got the microphone and said “The necklace was sent to me the day I was born. I didn’t steal it and I didn’t find it. It has been mine since the day I was born.” No one understood why I had said this they all thought I must have hit my head too hard. Not everyone was meant to understand it, just those from Saturday night. The nurse didn’t care what I had to say she took the elderly woman’s cane once again and ran up to me as she hit me in the head she screamed “you’re supposed to be dead!” The principal grabbed her and Jake helped me up. “Sorry did your plan not go the way you wanted?” I said putting a smirk on my face. The police weren’t sure what to do, because they weren’t entirely sure what was going on. Everyone from Saturday night was on the gym floor in their little group standing not too far away from me. The principal held the nurse so she couldn’t hit me anymore. He started talking to her. “She’s one of us. You can’t harm her anymore then you already have. She is who we have been waiting for.” I knew I wasn’t supposed to hear any of that but they were close and I did. “She is too young to be the one we have been waiting for!” the nurse yelled in anger. What did they mean anyways I’m the one they have been waiting for? “We have been waiting for the one chosen from birth. She received the necklace the day of birth. Therefore she is the one.” He said as he released her from his grip. She didn’t attack me she just stood there despising me. Hating every single thing about me. I no longer cared what they did, because now I had witnesses. Once again the police asked me “What happened to you?” they were losing their patience. “Wrong place, wrong time.” The elderly woman said. I let out a small chuckle. “Actually it was the right place at the precise time. I was there to remember and I did. It was almost like a redo with being beaten but I found out the secret I wanted to know in the first place so I count it as a win. Oh and by the way every single one of you are out of your minds.” I said pointing at the ones from Saturday. The police couldn’t take it anymore “Someone anyone tell us what happened.” The principal looked at his students and knew he had to finally do something good. And that was to tell the truth. He told them everything in front of everyone including the beatings and deaths from the past. They put their hands out ready to be arrested and to take responsibility for what they did. Everyone but one, the nurse wasn’t going out without a fight. She ran out of the gym and about five cops went after her as the others arrested the ones who gave themselves up. That’s the last thing I remembered before passing out from extreme blood loss. I woke up in the hospital the next day. This time I didn’t have to wonder what happened to me. Because I knew what happened. Because I remember.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences