False Love This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Here, with him, in this house, there aren’t any mirrors. That’s okay, though, because he always makes me feel special. I don’t have any need for reassurance. Even if I could see a reflection in the windows, I wouldn’t need to look.

Sometimes when I’m here, with him, we leave this house. That’s when I see my face everywhere, and I always look the same: happy, young, and fresh. The way he makes me feel – just like nothing has changed since we met.

When we are going out, he gently adjusts my sweater to cover the bruises. I rarely take that sweater off. It’s my favorite, the one I was wearing when we met.

Here, with him, in this house. We return from a dark night of riding in his van and staring at all the virginal beauty the city has to offer. I fall asleep with my arms above my head and my feet tight, close together. Almost as close as I am to him.

I like being here, with him, in this house. We moved in together so quickly, I can’t even remember how our relationship began. It’s all been such a blur. I know that it happened when I was walking home from school one day. When I ask him about it, he says he remembers it clearly. He says I was alone and that he offered to carry my books. He says he had admired me for a long time.

Here, with him, in this house, I have suspicions that he’s planning a surprise trip. He keeps a bag beside the camera monitor next to the door. Ready for a new adventure. A holiday would be nice, somewhere sunny, maybe. But I wouldn’t want to be away for too long.

I like it here, with him, in this boarded-up house with no mirrors. Here, where I sleep vertically and bound. Here, where he has a camera watching. Here, where he keeps an escape bag by the door.

Yes. I like it here, with him, in this house.

_kenners__ said...
I really like how deep this piece was, at first it seemed real but then at the end it changed the view. It was really good, and descriptive too.