The Walk | Teen Ink

The Walk

By TheGenesisWriter SILVER, Hemet, California
TheGenesisWriter SILVER, Hemet, California

"Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them." -William Shakespeare

The Walk
Winter rain is pouring down on me as I walk home through dark and lifeless city streets to my apartment on Anderson Road, or is it home? Home is where the heart is but then where is home if you haven’t got a heart? Anyway, as I walk home I stop briefly under a gloomy old oak tree to button up my black leather coat when I hear a plodding sound behind me. The sound of footsteps drudging through water. My heart skipped a beat and I began my walk home again but at a quicker pace and twice as uneasy as before.
Again I hear her footsteps; why is she following me still? Everywhere I go she brings this artic rain, will she not leave me in peace. I haven't stopped running since the dark day this all began. Finally, I am only a few blocks away but still I am frantic with only the fresh smell of rain for comfort and the chill to keep me alert. Yet the footsteps get closer and closer and as I turn I see the silhouette of a cloaked figure in the distance; my face turned as white as newly fallen snow. I ran, my heart pounding in my chest as I rapidly gasped for air to keep going through the stinging rain.
Alas,  how long could I keep up this pace? It did not matter, I guess, for I can feel myself falling. The dark buildings and the starless sky swirl around me. I should have known better than to run on the slick sidewalk in the rain, what a fool I am but what choice did I have. I hit the ground hard and my knee made a loud cracking sound as it shattered. To afraid to scream, I tried to turn around to get up and maybe continue home but as I turned her face greeted me.
Pale as the grave she belonged to, with spots of crimson blood staining her cheeks. Black,wet hair dangled into her face as she leaned in close to me with a grin stretching from ear to ear. “Please!” I begged of her, “Have pity on me Sarah!”, she only chuckled and whispered softly “Where was your precious pity when you murdered me?” Then I suddenly felt warmth emitting from my chest where an all too familiar blade was sticking out. Then the ghost of my victim skipped away into the night without another word as I died and the rain washed my blood into the gutter.
Pain, that's all I can remember now. The pain of regret and anguish and this never healing wound I am cursed with. Doomed to wander this city aimlessly for the murder I committed in the the rain on its streets and to paint them crimson with my own blood for my own damned heart. Body buried in a unmarked grave and what’s left of a man’s soul forced to a fate worse than death by the person he gave its kiss to. By the person I gave it to. 

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences