Running From Death | Teen Ink

Running From Death

By purple-chip GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
purple-chip GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

✿"Don't Follow Your Dreams; Chase Them."
✿"Everyday Is A Second Chance."
✿"You Aren't A Problem; You Just Have One."

My lungs burned as I tried to run from whatever was chasing me. I didn’t ask for any of this pain. I felt like my air way was bring crushed in my throat. I didn’t understand why this being was trying to kill me. The crushing anxiety surged through my veins, hands shaking harder as I looked over my shoulder. My heart sized in my chest, hot tears running faster done my face.
Is this what dying feels like? Is this what having your soul being pulled from your body felt like? I couldn’t wrap my head around why this was happening. This creature was coming after me just because I died. I’m already dead! Does this thing have to make it worse for me?!

I tried to scream but no sound came out of my mouth. I could feel the feels running down my throat and onto my bloody shirt. Death came at me, sickening long fingers trying to grab at me. I want my mother. All I want right now was my mother to make everything better like she always does.
“Nothing can save you now..”  the horrible voice hissed inside of my head.

I cried out, feeling my legs being pulled out from under me as I tripped over nothing. My head slammed into the dirt, back arching up to start crawling away from whatever was going to pull my soul away from me. I was already stabbed in the ribs today; do I really deserve all of this extra pain? Do I really?!
It isn’t fair. None of this is fair. I’m only seventeen. I’m a good girl. I don’t cause any trouble to anyone! I coughed, feeling the blood bubble up and onto my face. I could smell rotting flesh and the horrible feeling of cold wash over me. I sobbed, gripping the ground and watching the stars above my head.
“I’m sorry for whatever I did..” I said into the air. “I’m sorry..”
The voice cackled, chilling and cold hands touching my throat before I saw white flash behind my eyes that had closed without me noticing.
I blinked as I opened my eyes, seeing little people with wings running around me. I was okay.. I wasn’t going to Hell. I was going to be okay..