Faults | Teen Ink

Faults

May 30, 2014
By Krella BRONZE, Syracuse, New York
Krella BRONZE, Syracuse, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

They were always with each other. Where one was the other was right behind. She was a normal girl with long blonde wavy hair. She had lived here all her life and got a job at the local market down the street. Everybody in town knew her, and loved her saucy personality. He is much different however; his face seems to change now and then. Some days when you see them together and he would look like a happy young man, but if you turn your head and look again he might have aged ten years with a worn down face. Later he would always return to his young self. When he talks he sounds like a professor, spilling out knowledge that was out of this world. When you talk to him you feel like he knows exactly what you are going to say next. He must be on something.
The two of them never stay in the same place, he travels and she follows him wherever he goes. Most likely going after killers around the world, at least that’s what the rumors are. They get in his car and they drive away not coming back for weeks or even months. When they do come back they visit her mother for a day or two and then are off on another adventure. I often wonder where they really run off to.
He turned the key in the ignition to start the car.
“Here we are home sweet home” he said with a smile
“It’s been months since I’ve been home; it will be good to see her”
“I know she’s going to have a fit, you shouldn’t be traveling with me so much, and I’m keeping you away from her”
“I’m 24 years old I think I’m aloud to travel without my mom being bothered”
They left the car to be greeted by her mother, they smiled and hugged.
The man and the mother exchanged glances
“Nice to see you too” he said

It was a small white house with blue shutters and a long outdoor patio. Inside the house was small; there were five rooms, two bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, and one bathroom. The three entered the living room to sit down.

“So what have you two been up too?”
The man smiled “oh you know traveling the world…staying safe of course”
Her face was unconvinced
“Do you think you could step out for a bit, let me talk to my daughter alone…it has been months since I have seen her” she said motioning for him to leave the room
He got up and went into the kitchen without a word

“So... How has it been mom?”
“First honey I have to ask, are you safe? There is no one following you right?”
There was a long pause
“No mom no one is following us, he promised you I would stay safe and he has kept his promise”
“Good, now what have you two been up to? Stealing? Killing? Has he been taking anything or changed recently?”
“We were in Brazil and he started changing, told me he didn’t want to go on, but it only lasted a few minutes but this isn’t important mom, we weren’t out stealing you know he’s not that type of guy.”
The mother sighed
“We spent the last two months is Brazil, there was some...You know... bad things happening down there, but don’t worry we took care of it” She said with a smile
“I just want you to be…”
Suddenly a loud smash sound came from the kitchen
He walked smoothly out of the kitchen
“One of your china has a crack in it you might want to throw it out”
Her mother was about to yell but he cut her off
“Oh and as I have told you many times before… she is safe in my care”
“You where listening in on us?!”
“Miss you were loud as hell, I think my friends in Canada could hear you.”
“Shut up! You have no…”
“Okay that’s enough!” she turned to her mother angrily
“Of course you’re on his side… well listen he’s not staying in our beds he will sleep on the couch”
“Mom he can take my bed, I will sleep on the couch”
“Actually I will be okay, I’m going out tonight, and I have some things to take care of”
“Going after more killers eh? Well you are not taking my daughter nope not happening”
The girl rolled her eyes
“I’ll go alone” He turns to his young assistant “I will see you soon”
Before the young girl could protest he was out the door in one swift motion.

The rest of the day went on pretty normal, the mother and daughter talked about what has changed in the last few months. Stories were told about the great adventures the two have been on and the mother grew more fearful with each word. Every once in a while the mother would cut off the daughter with a “But you were safe right?” or a “but nothing happen to you right?” and each time the daughter would reassure her that she was fine.

When all was said and done it was late and time for bed, however the man had still not returned

“I’m going to go out for a bit mother”
And with that she ran out the door without her coat.
She knew exactly where to find him.

She pulled up to the hospital. The she entered through a front door that had been left wide open. She used the elevator and pressed the number 11; the top floor. In most situations one would think that the girl was scared at this point, being in a dark hospital at 3am. However she wasn’t scared at all. After all the robbers, killers, psychopaths, and crack heads she had seen and dealt with in the two years she had been traveling with the man, she learned never to be scared.

The elevator door opened slowly and she got out, she knew exactly where to go; the drug department. This hospital had a big drug department. Sure enough there he was searching through the drawers.

“How did I know I would find you here?”
He jumped from the sound of my voice “You scared me, how did you get up here?”
“I walked through the front door, there’s no security for some reason”
He continued going through the drawers shoving specific bottles into his backpack
“What you go there?” she asked.
“Adderall mostly, but many other things too, who knew right in your home town was all this supply”
The girl signed “I thought you were done with all this”
He stood up, slung his backpack over his shoulder and grabbed her hand
“I wouldn’t be me without it. I wouldn’t be able to do all the amazing things that we do”
He smiled so warmly that it almost made what he was doing alright to the girl.
“I don’t like this, we steal”
“I steal you don’t even take the drugs”
“I’m still part of it”
“No you aren’t, you are part of all the good things we do only. All the lives we save all the criminals we find and all the wrongs in this world that we have set right”
“All the drugs you steal” she said under her breathe.
“All the drugs I need”

After that night the girl never asked him about drugs again. He continued taking them, in major amounts however he wasn’t a bad guy. He never got violent, never raised his voice and never drinks. His only fault was his dependence on drugs. Although if you ever asked him about his faults he would always laugh and say he hasn’t got one.


The author's comments:
I hope my story keeps you guessing.