Interlude | Teen Ink

Interlude

May 1, 2014
By MDZ44 BRONZE, Wayland, Massachusetts
MDZ44 BRONZE, Wayland, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"You are who you are when no one is looking,"


You can just close your eyes and imagine a small motor boat on the top of the water while you’re looking up at it from the very bottom of the ocean. You’re the anchor that keeps the boat in one place just rumbling making small waves around it interfering with the still water.

But then you have that moment of panic just rush into your mind. I can’t breath under water, I need air, I’m going to die. But then it all slips away like a river of emotions pouring out of you because you remember that it’s all in your imagination, you can breath under water if you wish.

Then as you look up again, there’s a blinding ray of sunshine that passes the boat and then cuts through the water right into the pupils of your eyes. You quickly look away not being able to see for a moment and then when you’re fully recovered again, you hear a high pitch scream in your ear. You look to that direction but see nothing, just the coral and the seaweed sitting there. You’re cautious of your surrounding now fully aware and then out of the quietness, the scream comes again.

You can feel your heart pumping faster inside your rib cage as you turn to the unnamed sound but just like you expecting, nothings there. You keep looking around turning back and forth trying to figure out what the sound was when you look back up again, and the boat isn’t there anymore.

You feel weak, out of breath, tired, empty and hurt. You don’t understand what just happened but then before you know it, something invisible is pushing you down deeper into the bottomless ocean. You start screaming scared and afraid but the only thing that comes out of your mouth, is the high pitched scream of terror.


The author's comments:
Interlude: An intervening period of time.