The Girl in the Woods | Teen Ink

The Girl in the Woods

April 8, 2014
By Katie0607 BRONZE, Kalispell, Montana
Katie0607 BRONZE, Kalispell, Montana
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There it was, standing in front of me, and in a flash, it ran up the hill and was gone. I had never seen anything like it before. It was inhuman, but at the same time it very much resembled something human-like. I didn't see very much of it, but what made me think this was the way it moved. It moved very, very fast, yet fluid and smooth. I felt very uneasy all of a sudden. I observed my surroundings to see if anyone else had been there to witness it. There was nobody. Just me and the green lush trees. I trudged on through the trees half hoping to see it again, while the other half of me kept saying to turn around and go home. The more daring part of me continued to take over. As I was walking, my mind raced with ideas of what I could have possibly seen. A bear, a deer, a mountain lion, a dog? No, it was too human like for these things. Bigfoot, Sasquatch, aliens? No, that’s ridiculous. I couldn’t come to a conclusion. My mind continued to race as my formerly nervous and scared self took over and decided it would be best to go home. I walked back home, taking my time, subconsciously hoping to see it along the way. I arrived at my home at around 10:30 P.M. I immediately went inside and took a shower. As I was trying to enjoy the warmth of the water, I was suddenly disturbed by tapping on my bathroom window. Don’t you dare look, I thought to myself. Just ignore it. So that is what I did. I hastily got out of the shower, got dressed, and ran to the protection of my blankets. It was about 11:15 P.M. at this point, and since I showed no signs of calming myself down from the tapping on the window, I decided to try to ignore my scattered mind and get some sleep. I focused on my steady breathing and I must have fallen asleep, because the next think I remember was waking in a panic. I checked the time on my phone and it had been about 4 hours since I last lay awake. It happened again. The slow, eerie sequence of three taps that I had heard on my bathroom window earlier that night. It happened a second time. *Tap….Tap….Tap…* It sounded like someone tapping with their finger nail, trying to get my attention. I hid under the blankets so I wouldn’t be tempted to look. *Tap… Tap… Tap…* It happened again! *Tap tap tap* It seemed more urgent then. I decided I had had enough. I had to look. It was probably just the wind blowing a tree branch into my window, right? I took a deep breath, lifted the blankets, and peered out the window. It ran away as soon as it saw me, the thing from the woods this evening. But, this time, I got a better look at it. It took me a while to comprehend what I had seen. I finally came back to reality. I was astonished. It couldn’t have been what I thought it was, could it? No way. Impossible. Stupid me decided to get up out of the comfort of my bed, go out into the woods, chase after it, and investigate. I started running to the spot where I had seen it earlier. I was about half way there when I heard a gunshot, and a familiar girlish scream. I picked up the pace. I arrived at the spot I heard the gunshot from. There was something laying on the ground, with nobody else around. I could only see the outline of a figure seeing as the moon was my only source of light. I slowly walked over to it. I didn’t want to look. I was too frightened by what I saw just a few moments ago. I took a deep breath, and took a step forward. The moonlight broke through the trees in the most perfect way, illuminating the face of the creature lying in front of me. It couldn't be. I had to be seeing things wrong, but the pale skin and rosy cheeks were so familiar. As I looked down, I was presented with my own face staring back at me.